PDA

View Full Version : Doom 3 will be insane, the leak confirms it!

gdorf
05-04-2003, 11:27 PM
I just ust downloaded and installed the leaked copy of doom III yesterday, and this game is officially going to kick butt! It is unfortunately very slow on almost any home PC, because the code was not optimized, and the computer it originally showcased on had over 2 gigs of ram :eek:. But I was still able to walk around and complete the three levels included in the leak. I'll give you a brief rundown of what this thing is like, and highlight a few of the best parts.

When I first started out in level one, I was in a (highly detailed) room. There was a single light hanging from the ceiling, casting its light across the room and creating gorgeous shadows. When this light slowly creaked back and forth, and I took a look around, I truly felt like I was in the doom world. Next, as I walked throught the door straight ahead of me I begin to hear a devilish murmur resinate throughout the room. I don't know who is in charge of sounds on the Doom III team, but whoever it is, this guy is a genius. The noises in this game will (perhaps literally) scare the piss out of you. After taking a moment to enjoy the sound, I headed into the next room. Thanks to the great lighting effects, this room was filled with dark corners for zombies and demons to lurk about. After about three steps I heard a develish scream and was attacked by a zombie. I'd seen the snapshots from E3 last year, but I had no clue that these zombies would be so...beautiful! Its insane how detailed they are, everywhere from their exposed gut to their bloody feet, its amazing.

Here is a snapshot I took of the opening room, keep in mind that all the shadows in the room move according to the light in the center. It looks fantastic.

First Room Snaphot (http://home.attbi.com/~ravix475/doomIII.png)

Anyway, I'll let you see level 2 for yourself, I found a good movie someone made with the leak, wait till you see the creature at the begginning. You'll also notice that at times you can actually see a monsters shadow before you actually see the monster come around the corner. Things like this are going to make this game great. Sorry the movie doesn't include sound, but you can still see the insanity of this games graphics.

Second Level Movie (16mb) (http://www.nd.edu/~mmcgill/files/E3-E3_2.avi)

I'd like to finish this thread by saying:

John Carmack, I love you. :)

Thunderbird
05-04-2003, 11:36 PM
(EDIT)Nevermind, Polymorphic OOP just answered my question :).

Polymorphic OOP
05-04-2003, 11:37 PM
ummm, you do realize that was the alpha that was leaked almost a year ago by some people over at ATI? I didnt think it was too impressive. All the effects were just stuff that was built in to the APIs IE the dynamic lighting. It ran awful on a GeForce 4. Granted it was just an alpha, but still, there really wasn't much of anything that was ground-breaking.

gdorf
05-04-2003, 11:55 PM
Yea, I realize that it was released last year, but until now I haven't tried it for myself. The graphics werent the only thing that impressed me, rather they were just a part of the "feel" of the game. The atmosphere to the game is just great.

Even so, I'd argue that the graphics are currently groundbreaking. I've never seen any enemies that looked so amazing and detailed in my life.

blew_flame
05-05-2003, 12:58 AM
im not sure if im allowed to ask this but.. where can i get the leak?

doom was the first game i ever played on a computer and i have been in love with it since i first played it... i love this game.

MottZilla
05-05-2003, 03:21 AM
No you are not. AGN does not allow warez links on the forum.

It's not that hard to find though. But I strongly advise you wait for the commercial release, because the E3 Alpha was indeed, not optimized, really early alpha, slow, well, in general unpleasent.

You'll be much more impressed when the game is finished.

War Lord
05-05-2003, 01:46 PM
I doubt it'll be that cool. All I've seen of that leak has been ok. The monsters look out of place in a way to me though.

Give me Half-Life 2 over Doom III any day.

MottZilla
05-05-2003, 03:10 PM
Well there are barely any monsters or levels in the e3 leak. :O Anyway, we are talking about iD here. Whatever they make will atleast be worth playing.

Beldaran
05-05-2003, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by War Lord
I doubt it'll be that cool.

I doubt you're right.

AlexMax
05-05-2003, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Beldaran

I doubt you're right.

I doubt you're right.

Anyway, both HL2 and DOOM3 will kick ass, each in their own very special way, in my humble opinion.

Beldaran
05-05-2003, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by AlexMax

I doubt you're right.

I have no doubt that you are wrong.

Grasshopper
05-06-2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Beldaran

I have no doubt that you are wrong.

I don't doubt that your right.

All you need is Mr Imp and Pinky...and its all good. :drool:

Thunderbird
05-06-2003, 03:27 PM
All this doubting is starting to get very confusing :blah:.

As far as I see it, Doom 3 is just another FPS title. More things to shoot at (in the game that is ;)).

Polymorphic OOP
05-06-2003, 03:52 PM
Of course it'll be amazing, the engine more than the game itself, but the alpha wasn't anything awe-inspiring. But it's not supposed to be anyways, it was just an alpha.

Grasshopper
05-06-2003, 05:20 PM
True, the most amazing thing to me is the engine. I'm happy to hear that a game uses shadows a bit more realistically now. I'm just anxious to see how they incorporate the whole Doom theme into a tighter horror themed package. I like FPS games, and I'm a fan of Doom, back then nothing was really ground breaking except the new graphic style. So even today, I would think that would hold true. I still enjoy Doom today as much as I did back then though. So if they can pass the game off as fun as the original, all wrapped up in spangly new graphics and even make it scary, I don't think I could be any happier. I don't really need anything new. Just an awesome map editor and a really fun simple game to play.

AtmaWeapon
05-06-2003, 08:36 PM
Don't judge the enemy placement by this alpha, either. This was not a version of Doom 3 for playtesting, it was basically a test version to search for major bugs in the engine itself and to make demos for e3. From what I saw, the guys at ID are going to have something really good for us when Doom 3 comes out. :)

Maverick_Zero
05-06-2003, 08:58 PM
The graphics on this look great, but it's not so much the graphics as the lighting effects, allowing not all enemies to be seen at once. This game is going to totally own.

Jawa Podracer
05-06-2003, 09:07 PM
I hope it is good, even though my computer sucks. I'll probably play it on my friend's X-Box or something.

Radium
05-08-2003, 10:11 PM
DOOM III is definately going to be a very suspensful game if they do it right, I've played the leaked alpha and it's pretty damn scary lol. But I do hope that they optimize the engine more because the alpha was pretty glitchy and didn't run well at all (which of course is expected from an ALPHA!). I agree with Warlord though, Half-Life 2 will be much better in my opinion ;)