PDA

View Full Version : Your opinions, please

Knightcrawler
05-03-2003, 08:38 PM
Alright, due to the controversial acceptance of my loose tiles (half people seems to like or love them and the other half seemed to dislike or hate them), I am making a second set of castle tiles. The problem is that things are probably going to get a little... messy soon. In order to make the castle floor tiles lessy pixely, I am making the individual stones bigger. The problem is that they look their best when surrounded by a dark background, yet the dark background is exactly the same as the divisions between the castle bricks. This is exactly the reason why I made the stones small in the first place. Somewhere in the next hour and a half or so, I am going to be adding some images to this topic. I would appreciate your opinion at that time. If I am delayed, I'll give the reason before the hour and a half is up. Anyway, thanks and I hope to see you then.

PrinceMSC
05-03-2003, 08:44 PM
Why didn't you just post that when you have the pics? Anyway, I'll give you my opinion in the next hour or so. ;)

:king: PrinceMSC:king:

Questwizard88
05-03-2003, 08:55 PM
i liked the old ones, but i'll see if these arwe better.

Knightcrawler
05-03-2003, 09:27 PM
I posted early so more people would know about the message when I add the pictures, and thus would get quicker responces. Well, here we go.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/139183/ZelTemp.gif
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/139183/ZelTemp.gif

BTW, these aren't the only additions/changes I am going to make to 2.0. Maybe I'll show you guys the progress of a flying banner I made in a little while (on this topic, of course).

BTW, my image provider will take like 5 more minutes until the image starts working. *Waits...*

Okay, it's done now.:)

*Edit in*

Oh, btw, these are not the final versions by any means. I just need help deciding how to manage the floor.

Questwizard88
05-03-2003, 09:53 PM
the ones on the left look the best, asnd the ones in the middle look the worst

Knightcrawler
05-03-2003, 09:57 PM
I agree, but think that the dark grey seems out of place.

Awe come on, Plith, I saw you on and I also saw your PureZC review.:P Do you like these more or less and do you have any suggestions?

C-Dawg
05-03-2003, 10:16 PM
Much better, but you might want to make the shades of grey a little closer together- they seem a little harsh now. Oh, and a rule of thumb that I always stick to- THREE shades of a color are really necessary to make something look 3-d. That lets you show shadows, highlights, and neutral areas. You've only got two shades in most of those tiles.

PS : These tiles arn't nearly as hedious as the first one, and my preference is going to start playing a role in my criticisms. Sabotage Dragoon beta testers know the huge number of castle tiles I've whipped up, and they're in a much different style.

-C

Knightcrawler
05-03-2003, 10:44 PM
Well these are loose tiles for the whole community, so I don't want to change the palette. I use the overworld Newfirst palette, btw. There's another Newfirst palette that works fairly well with the same tiles, but I doubt it has any more shades of grey than I already use. I'm not entirely sure if using black for my edges would be great in order to free up dark grey for shading since using dark grey on the edges makes my tiles look softer. I'll give it a try, though.

PrinceMSC
05-03-2003, 10:55 PM
The truth is they aren't that pretty. Try this; Use the light gray as a highlight and "make" a third gray as the solid color. They will make things more round and blend together better. Another thing you might want to revamp up is the flat blocks that go around the top of the tower. You should add a top part to them. Another thing you might want to keep in mind is if you are going to make a shape with more than one side showing, use a lighter or darker color for that other side. In this case I would recommend that you make the top part a lighter color than the walls.

:king: PrinceMSC:king:

J.J. Maxx
05-04-2003, 09:23 AM
I think less rocks for the tower floor. It meshes too good with the bricks and makes it all look too busy. I would go with something simpler, like loose gravel or even a solid pattern. Also, since your light is coming from the left, you might want to add wall shadows on the top and left to give it that 3-d feel.:thumbsup:

Here, I whipped this up real quick so you could get the idea. You'll notice I also went to a black out line. :thumbsup:

http://www.jadevalley.com/images/tower1.gifhttp://www.jadevalley.com/images/tower2.gif

Overall the design is very nice! :) Keep it up!

Knightcrawler
05-04-2003, 04:52 PM
That's good stuff right there. I think black outline does make it look a little more harsh, but not so much as to rule out its advantages. Using the opened-up shade of grey on the stone will probably lessen that effect, though. I stopped working after I pasted that pic, but I'll probably get to working pretty soon into this week. Today I'm kinda busy. Well, thanks for the help everyone. I might go the way of the gravel if I can't make any progress with the stones, but I think it may raise some of the same complaints as my last set (though not as severely). Anyone have any opinions on stone vs. gravel?

J.J. Maxx
05-04-2003, 05:20 PM
Or maybe straw? I think they had alot of straw up in those places..

Knightcrawler
05-11-2003, 12:39 AM
Now, I think I already know that the bottom-left and bottom-middle ones will be unpopular, but I wanted to see how stones the size of the top wall ones would look on the floor. Now once again, these aren't final products. Whichever ones of these are most popular I will refine, or if anyone has a new idea, I'll try that out. The new gravel I made myself, btw, but it is based on J.J. Maxx's version. And the shadows don't cast well... I know that. I'll fix these with the final (or next) versions. The old ZelTemp on my host no longer exists, so the only versions you will be able to see now are the new ones, although the old floor tiles still exist in ZQuest (for now). Go ahead and look at the top of the page to see the new versions, and tell me what you think.

Oh yeah, I also am displaying a single frame from my (currently only) flag, with the original castle floor.

Knightcrawler
05-14-2003, 08:20 PM
Um... hey people, you guys wanna comment...?

J.J. Maxx
05-15-2003, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by Knightcrawler
Um... hey people, you guys wanna comment...?

KC, I understand you want people to comment on your art but we must follow certain protocols here at our forum.

One of which is to not post two replies consecutively. We call this 'double posting'*. It is also against the rules.

In the future, please refrain from doing so.

Thank you.

-=AGN Staff=-

* for more info on 'double posting' please visit our FAQ Page (http://www.armageddongames.net/misc.php?s=&action=faq)