PDA

View Full Version : Desert storm

sjbg911
05-03-2003, 05:16 PM
I plan on having a thunderstorm in my newest quest and I know how to layer things but how do I make it so it is hard to cross the dessert. I plan on using a maze combo. ne other suggestions.

Oh yeh if you have some desert storm tiles it would be greatly appreciated

idontknow
05-03-2003, 07:53 PM
uh, what the heck do ya mean by a 'maze' combo? but yea, i did in fact try to do a similar thing once...here's an idea though--you could make identical combos that each look like sand except one of them is actually a 'stair' combo & the other is a regular walkable combo..you could make a singular path of the regular sand combos that lead you to a destination through the desert and the surrounding combos are the stair combos and if link wanders off the path, he warps to the beginning..you could even place flag 16 on the screen on all the regular sand combos & then set the secret combo of flag 16 to be like a darker version of the sand or something in order to provide a path that Link could see using only the lens of truth (i got this idea from OoT)

EDIT: maybe you can even make like combos that look like rain on layer 6 or something but is actually brown to simulate dust/mud flying around to distract link

sjbg911
05-03-2003, 09:17 PM
If link does wander off the path how do u make it so he does back to the begining of the course??? ne way I have a plan to use that mud and sand flying Idea, and how do u make it so the good tiles show up on the lens of truth???

Thanx 4 the help

plith
05-03-2003, 10:07 PM
For making him go back to the beginning whenever he wanders off, just put sidewarps on each side of the screen that he shouldn't go in and have it do an i-warp w/ zap FX back to the first screen.

To make good tiles show up on the lens of truth, you have to go to Data->Secret Combos, set the numbered secret combos (on the right side, 16 is the top left, 19 is the top right, 28 is the bottom left, and 35 is the bottom right) and put flags with corresponding numbers on the tiles where you want the correct combos to show up.

Hope it helps.

idontknow
05-03-2003, 10:32 PM
actually, plith, 31 is the bottom right...but anyway...other than that, plith is pretty much right on target...you could also set the tile warp to insta-warp w/ zap effect or wave effec--i think wave looks really cool, especially in the desert..you set the secret tiles as plith said...make no way of triggering the secret tiles; however, they will still be revealed when using the lens of truth...thus, link can use the lens in order to reveal which spaces Link can walk on without warping...have a bunch of screens like this, each with different paths that lead to a final screen where the desert temple or whatever is...

sjbg911
05-04-2003, 01:27 PM
I am sorry plith but what you just said, i had a bit of trouble following it. I dont under stand how the secret combos have to do with this.
Help

sjbg911
05-04-2003, 01:49 PM
Oh yeah how do u enable slow walk tiles

VEL
05-04-2003, 02:01 PM
sjbg911 please don't double post (posting twice in a row), it is against the rules, please use the "edit" button to edit your last post instead. ;)

idontknow
05-04-2003, 02:16 PM
enable slow walk tiles? you probably mean slow walk combos-simply make the combo with the slow walk combo type & then place it on the screen & Link will walk slowly over it when playing

sjbg911
05-04-2003, 02:24 PM
thanx but how do make them show up on the lens of truth I dont understand

DeathLink
05-04-2003, 05:34 PM
use flags 16 - 31(?)

go to Data->Secret Combos, set the numbered secret combos (on the right side, 16 is the top left, 19 is the top right, 28 is the bottom left, and 35 is the bottom right) and put flags with corresponding numbers on the tiles where you want the correct combos to show up.

use ALPHADAWGS tutorial (top of this forum) it will help tons

sjbg911
05-04-2003, 07:16 PM
Yeh but on the secrets menu there is no LENS feature, so what do I use then as the combo.

idontknow
05-04-2003, 07:21 PM
it doesn't matter! the lens of truth always reveals the secret flags when used on any screens with any secrets! if there are secret flags on the screen, then the lens will reveal them when Link uses it! thats all! you don't need to set anything! simply place the secret combos with no trigger and thats all! there should be no way of triggering the secrets because all you want is link to see them with the lens. the secret combos should be regular combos that look like the sand or whatever that reveal the 'true path' and it they should be over the regular, walkable sand combos. The rest of the screen should be filled with walkabl, stair combos that warp link to the beginning of the area, preventing him from moving to the next screen.

sjbg911
05-04-2003, 07:43 PM
OH sorry, i forgot to mention another problem. I tested my quest but when I get the lens it wont let me use it, I try pressing my B button but nothing happens???? is anything special supossed to happen

idontknow
05-04-2003, 09:16 PM
there is supposed to be a black circle around the edge of the screen & all secrets within the visible area should be revealed--the lens, by default, consumes 1 rupee for every second it is activated or, via a quest rule, the lens uses magic-open your quest in zquest & check to see on like page 5 or something of quest rules that the quest rule regarding the lens using magic wether is on or not-if on, uncheck it & then test your quest & make sure you have rupees, or you could leave it on & then set the initial magic & magic container amount to greater than 0 and then test your quest

Verbatim
05-05-2003, 11:36 AM
If you're not using magic in your quest, you need rupees to use the lens of truth.

D'oh...idk already said that didn't he...I'm not very on top of things today somehow...

sjbg911
05-06-2003, 11:05 AM
oh thanx

Knil
05-15-2003, 05:04 PM
Beware, the monkies!!!
IDK, what a god. i was gonna ask the same question regarding the secret combos...but, 911 already got it for me. that really helped! :bowbeforethegreatone: