PDA

View Full Version : i made some NPC sprites!

firebug
05-02-2003, 07:23 PM
with some fiddling around, i've come across a way to make NPC sprites that actually move around the screen FF-style without any warps! it's kind of complicated, and a little buggy right now, but i hope to perfect the technique and if anyone's interested, post how i did it. :D

DeathLink
05-02-2003, 08:26 PM
go ahead, post away!

Teilyr
05-03-2003, 01:40 AM
How about actually telling us, instead of trying to raise hype? =P

*b*
05-03-2003, 11:57 AM
could combo cycling have anything to do with it? it's easy, have the tiles of the NPC moving how you want it (speed, direction...), and have the combo cycling set up so that as the tiles animate the npc going, left, let's say, the walk flags cover the npc 8x8 section with the most pixels. like having all 16x16 pixels taken up for when it starts, then moves over 5 pixels, the walk flags go from the whole tile, to the left of the tile, so that it blocks link walking over most of the npc... maybe I should get some screenshots

C-Dawg
05-03-2003, 01:12 PM
This was discussed in detail in the now-buried thread where I discussed using combo cylcing to effect moving platforms. Exactly the same technique can be used here.

And yes, Teilyr has it on the nose- my "Pathetic Hype Attempt" alarm goes off every time some Zquester clais they have some super secret new technique that they can't possibly reveal to the plebians.

-C

System Error
05-03-2003, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by *b*
could combo cycling have anything to do with it? it's easy, have the tiles of the NPC moving how you want it (speed, direction...), and have the combo cycling set up so that as the tiles animate the npc going, left, let's say, the walk flags cover the npc 8x8 section with the most pixels. like having all 16x16 pixels taken up for when it starts, then moves over 5 pixels, the walk flags go from the whole tile, to the left of the tile, so that it blocks link walking over most of the npc... maybe I should get some screenshots

Yes, I believe you use combo cycling. :P

firebug
05-03-2003, 05:16 PM
*chuckle* no hype intended.. obviously i'm not the first person to figure this out, because *b* has it right on the nose, i was just a bit excited because it came to me all at once and i spent like 2 hours trying to get it to work. when i finally did, i was stoked. sorry i wasn't here all at once explaining the exact details of how i did it, but my gf has comp priorities, you know? ;)

Samson007
05-03-2003, 09:05 PM
Nice, I am probably gonna start with ZC again once a new version comes out. And these moving NPC's will make the deal all the sweeter!