PDA

View Full Version : Goodness gracious......

Blonde799
05-02-2003, 11:51 AM
Looks like Cyclone took a vacation.:p Well, seeing as he probably doesn't have enough time to do a custom quest contest, I'll host one instead.:kawaii:

Yeah, that's right. I will host a custom quest contest. How would the community feel about this? It'd be great if we can hold one here, and it'd be forum wide, with me dropping by ZCN, PZC, and any other forums, if they aren't down.:) If it flops, hey, I tried.:p

Just in case, here's the general skinny.

Only five quests will be nominated, out of how many are recommended by the deadline(more on that later). You recommend your own quests, and you must tell me(or the other judges if any) information about your quest. Tell as much as you can, and quests will be nominated depending on that information. If this goes through, I'll announce a deadline for which all desired quests should be recommeded(it'll probably be a few days).

You can recommend a completed quest, or an incomplete quest. For incomplete ones, you'd have to give a demo of what you're creating. If you don't submit one by the deadline after you're quest has been nominated, you'll be omitted. Also, I'll give a certain time to get incomplete quests done, but it won't be very long(probably at the most, 3 months over the summer).

The nominated quests will be rated on a few categories by all judges, and given an overall score based on the judge's scores. The quests will also receive an award for excelling in certain categories. I will hire a few judges on a first come, first serve basis. They must also have enough time to play multiple quests. So, if you want to be one, PM me immediately, and tell me how many quests(not demos) you've played. I'll allow a maximum of 6.

So, what does everyone think? If you have any questions, feel free to ask.:) Whether or not I'll host the contest will depend on how many votes I get for the positive, so if you want one, go and vote!:D

Petoe
05-02-2003, 12:07 PM
Hey, a custom quest contest would be a great thing, and if the deadline is after summer, I have my quest finished and I could participate. I think that the hard work that some quest makers do should be revarded this way.

I have many questions, but because I'm so lazy, I let others ask all the questions. :blah:

Blonde799
05-02-2003, 12:16 PM
Well, I'll probably give until september to get incompleted quests in. I suggest you ask anything you're unsure about ASAP, as I might start a FAQ(for people that don't like post surfing).

Dr. Mutagen
05-02-2003, 12:23 PM
All right!! Hopefully I can finish my quest by then, since school's days are numbered, which means I'll have MUCH more time on my hands.

Blonde799
05-02-2003, 12:27 PM
That's what I thought about when I was making a deadline for the quests. I wanted it to be before september though, as I'll get RPG Maker 2, and god knows when I'll actually take time to play quests then.:p

Petoe
05-02-2003, 12:31 PM
Ok. Here's some questions:

1) Can the quest be non-Zelda?

2) So the judge is you, Blonde? And maybe some others you pick?

3) Any requirements or limits? Like must there be at least x levels and AxB overworld?

4) Will the competitors use this current public build 1.82, or do they get a newer "competitors and testers only" build?

I'll ask more if anything comes up to my mind.

:mega:

Blonde799
05-02-2003, 12:50 PM
1) Can the quest be non-Zelda?
Of course. Nothing wrong with that.:) I may give out extra points for such a thing.

2) So the judge is you, Blonde? And maybe some others you pick?
I will be a judge, and hopefully up to 6 others will help out.

3) Any requirements or limits? Like must there be at least x levels and AxB overworld?
The minimum overworld space must be 128 screens(one whole map). There won't be a specific limit on levels, but you may get a low score if the quest itself is too long. I'll explain any other requirements once the ball gets rolling.

4) Will the competitors use this current public build 182, or do they get a newer "competitors and testers only" build?
No one involved in the contest will get a specific build, as 1)certain people will get jealous and 2) DN may not allow it, of which I can perfectly agree with. If the parties involved get anything, it might be a higher player to get rid of bugs and the sort(but I'm pretty scared to ask to release a player:p), but no, no ZQuest builds whatsoever. I know that in the past, that got a LOT of people to jump on the contest bandwagon, and a few others were bitching because of it(it's not like anyone was missing out on very much anyway).

idontknow
05-02-2003, 02:29 PM
i'd be happy to compete in the contest!!! i think the deadline should be like October 1. I have a question--what are the categories being judged?..i suggest the following:
1. graphics
2. gameplay/fun factor
3. storyline
--I also think somebody should set up a contest specifically for like a christmas/winter quest now so that everyone has enough time to complete a specific winter/christmas/holiday quest by december-somebody started a contest like last november but everyone agreed it wasn't enough time and so the contest was aborted...i would definately like a holiday-themed quest or something!

Cronic
05-02-2003, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Cronic
Also seeing as how we were supposed to hold the one Cyclone had been dragging his knuckles on for so very long I'd like to offer whatever you may need :)

Seeing as how ZCN is home to the largest interactive QDB we will be willing to offer you anything you may need in the way of forums (public or private) Or we could simply mod you so that you may manage threads used etc... Either way man jus lemme know :)

DeathLink
05-02-2003, 08:19 PM
i could judge, consitering i will never finish making a quest :( but ill be glad to judge

Blonde799
05-03-2003, 12:05 AM
Thanks Cronic, I'd like to have a temporary forum set up somewhere for this, so this place isn't crowded. Anything you can come up with is fine.:)

As for the categories, I plan to have a few like length, difficulty, and so on. If everything goes as planned, I'll arrange a FAQ and rules, requirements, etc.

I want this contest to be short and sweet, as I have a life somewhat too, and I don't want to drag it out to the point I forget, so the deadline for incomplete quests might be about 4 months at the most. Also, participants have the whole summer to complete incomplete quests. If anyone thinks they won't have too much time to complete an incomplete quest over the summer, don't recommend it.

Like I said, if anyone wants to be a judge, PM me immediately with the info I requested in my first post(now's a good time).

Cronic
05-03-2003, 01:10 AM
Couple things...

I'd suggest a deadline of September 1st giving the entire summer to work on a quest... Secondly I'd suggest going with the original plan of making it a quest that is not yet released... Once again though 4 months is more than fair. Also for some reason should you foget or not be here I'll gladly fill in when the time comes because if time has proven anything it's that I'm not going anywhere :)

Blonde799
05-03-2003, 01:35 AM
Alright, I'll make a new post in a minute.:) If anyone would like to add to it, speak up.;)

Cronic
05-03-2003, 01:47 AM
Can we make this a ZCN sponsored event :) ?

Blonde799
05-03-2003, 02:05 AM
What do you mean?:confuse2: I'll go for it I suppose.

NerdWarrior
05-04-2003, 11:39 AM
Hey, sounds good to me. I'd like to enter RoT into the contest.

Blonde799
05-04-2003, 05:22 PM
Well, go recommend it in the contest thread. Hopefully by next week, we'll have enough to hold a poll.:)

ShadowTiger
05-05-2003, 04:37 PM
*sigh* Is it just me, or does everyone else seem to be working on a quest? I mean, I'm sure that there are a few people here and there that aren't working on a quest, but who has that much time! People might get distracted from their work, and have time diverted from their quest, only to have it literally appear to melt in devotion time ratios.. Yikes. Not desirable.

For example, suppose C decided to get in on this. That means more attention divided from SD, more into this anonymous quest, which means SD will be released later rather than sooner, and everyone will flock to his quest. :odd: If -I- Did one, I wouldn't be able to do the various jobs I'm doing for people, tilewise. It's all a big time-diverter.

Then again, if you're up to it, then by all means.

Blonde799
05-05-2003, 06:38 PM
If C decided to get on this(which I seriously doubt he will, call it a highly educated prediction, although he may just enter to prove me wrong), he'd probably enter SD.

All participants will have 7 months to complete their quests. Even if I was drawing tiles and such, I would still have 3 months left over, so I could bug fix one of my trashed quests, and release it in December.:) Of course, that was an if.:p