PDA

View Full Version : American Greetings = Nazis?

Warlock
04-28-2003, 12:53 PM
http://www.penny-arcade.com/
http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2003-04-14&res=h

Go there first and the strip will make sense..

http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2003/20030427h.gif

That's just SAD.. that was a hilarious strip too.. bastards!

Cloral
04-28-2003, 02:12 PM
OK... I was wanting to see that strip when they took it down. Do you by any chance have the infamous 'strawberry shortcake' strip on file? I probably saw it when it first came out but just can't remember anymore what it was.

obi
04-28-2003, 02:41 PM
Ask and you shall recieve (http://www.armageddongames.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71317)

Beldaran
04-28-2003, 02:57 PM
So wait, did they make them take the Nazi thread down too? Or is this a sharp tongued commentary on the pure ass holedness of American McGee?

I don't understand why things that employ people and improve our lifestyle, as corporations do, have to be so fucking annoying and retarded. Why can't there be a nice, easy-going corporation for once?:mad:

Masamune
04-28-2003, 03:47 PM
ROFL! omg. wonder what'll happen next... =)

Cloral
04-28-2003, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by obi
Ask and you shall recieve (http://www.armageddongames.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71317)
Ah yes! I did see that one. Thanks for reminding me.

PS: What exactly was AG's problem with that strip?

obi
04-28-2003, 08:18 PM
Im too lazy (and tired, its 1 am lol) to find the direct link from the PA forums, but AG have a Character called Strawberry Shortcake which is basically given off as your typical innocent little girl. My guess is that AG doesn't like the portraly of Strawberry Shortcake that PA have given and feel like being assholes about it.

Maverick_Zero
04-28-2003, 08:19 PM
That was a pretty good PA comic. Strawberry Shortcake was makin' fun of the new cabbage patch dolls or something, as well as American McGee.

mrz84
04-28-2003, 08:26 PM
strange, yet amusing. :kawaii: i saw the strawberry shortcake one and i laughed so hard i almost died. :kawaii:

Beldaran
04-28-2003, 09:05 PM
Did anyone manage to read my post?:eyebrow:

ShyGuy0824
04-28-2003, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by Beldaran
So wait, did they make them take the Nazi thread down too? Or is this a sharp tongued commentary on the pure ass holedness of American McGee?

I don't understand why things that employ people and improve our lifestyle, as corporations do, have to be so fucking annoying and retarded. Why can't there be a nice, easy-going corporation for once?:mad:

commentation...

No, AG has not required PA to take down the Nazi strip, however PA does expect them to try to thus the caption of the strip. The commentary in the Nazi strip is that American Greetings is like the Psycho girlfriend you should have never had. The commentary in the Strawberry Shortcake one is based on the announcement of a new game based on a similar pretext of Alice, Oz (as in wonderland and munchkins). PA was simply saying that mcGee isn't quite as 'original' as he was originally said to be, drawing inspirations by perverting children's stories.

The reason that corporations are retarded, in my opinion, is the sheer volume of things that they sell. For instance, you may have heard of Rockefeller restricting screws in barrels or the olives in salads for in-flight meals. Corporations are most interested in not violating the majority while still making the most money. By allowing the shortcake ad to be done, I suppose that AG owns the rights to the character of Strawberry Shortcake and doesn't want tarnishing of the her image if the comic became widespread. Because gamers aren't the largest amount of holiday card buyers around (in theory), I suppose they would rather not risk defamation than allow art in parody.

YOU'RE WELCOME :)

mikeron
04-29-2003, 03:13 AM
I'd like to see the how well Godwin's Law (http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/legends/godwin/) predicts the next few days.

AtmaWeapon
04-29-2003, 09:43 AM

Actually, I read it. Part of why people didn't go OMZ BEL PSTED is probably because people want to know if you actually managed to read their posts or Penny Arcade. American McGee has nothing to do with the troubles, it is American Greetings who sued Penny Arcade.

Warlock
04-29-2003, 12:12 PM
What I don't get is, isn't Penny Arcade protected under some sort of parody laws? I don't know.. maybe not (if so, maybe it doesn't allow for direct naming of the original character or something). You'd think that they'd be protected by some sort of law at least.. I dunno.. either way, like they said, it's not worth the money of going to court and fighting it..

AtmaWeapon
04-29-2003, 02:37 PM
They're protected by the same laws that protect Saturday Night Live and other shows like that. However, as many people have said, the court costs would be huge. It's kind of like how Sony got bleem to go out of business. They lost every lawsuit, but Sony had the money to keep filing more lawsuits. Bleem ran out. :/ In a way, our justice system favors those who have money.

Warlock
04-29-2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by AtmaWeapon
They're protected by the same laws that protect Saturday Night Live and other shows like that. However, as many people have said, the court costs would be huge. It's kind of like how Sony got bleem to go out of business. They lost every lawsuit, but Sony had the money to keep filing more lawsuits. Bleem ran out. :/ In a way, our justice system favors those who have money.

Ah yes.. that's true.. it is quite rediculous how you can't even fight for what's right just because the other party happens to be rich..

Jawa Podracer
05-02-2003, 10:21 PM

I did. I think it's because of your signature, your avatar, or both. And, of course, what you said.