PDA

View Full Version : lava zora

idontknow
04-26-2003, 07:23 PM
How to Make a Lava Zora:
1. Make a water combo--it doesn't matter whether it is walkable or not--that looks like lava.
2. Make another combo completely transparent & make it totally unwalkable. Place this on layer 1 or 2 above the water combo.
3. Place zora enemies on the screen.
4. This should make 'zora-only' type water spaces on the screen-like having zora's spawn in lava that Link can neither swim in or walk over. I suppose you could do a similar thing with combo cycle but that might take more work--basically you would just have a bunch of combos cycle between the lava zora & the lava, the zora being a statue type enemy.

Verbatim
04-28-2003, 01:03 PM
Does that really prevent Link from swimming in the lava if he has the flippers? I was under the impression that the way the addition was done, a walkable (or "solid") water combo + a solid combo on layer 1 or 2 = a normal "solid" swimable water combo. Or in other words, that you can't make a water combo unswimmable by putting something on top of it.

If you can, that'd be great, but have you actually tested it to see if it's any different from just using a regular water combo?

idontknow
04-28-2003, 03:34 PM
you're right..it doesn't work the way i thought it did--it makes sense that it should block; sometimes, i think some things are so contradictory-take for example most combo properties do not function properly on layers but unwalkable combos on layers, above water combos, will not prevent link from swimming there?! or having lock block combos open up on layers when a lock block on layer 0 opens?! what gives! i say that all combos should work on all layers or no combos work on any layers, instead of this 'well, only certain combos work on layers' crap!

DeathLink
04-28-2003, 11:00 PM
just make the lava that right by the dirt (the beach i guess) not water, because you prob. dont want the zora there anyway. it should word that way, except you prob couldnt do raft or ladder (make it ladder only combo in that case) i dono

Verbatim
04-30-2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by idontknow
you're right..it doesn't work the way i thought it did--it makes sense that it should block; sometimes, i think some things are so contradictory-take for example most combo properties do not function properly on layers but unwalkable combos on layers, above water combos, will not prevent link from swimming there?!
It's a matter of what's feasible...remember, currently a water combo has to be solid so that Link can't walk on it. And there's only 4 bits for solidity for each combo--essentially, is the upper left solid (yes/no), is the upper right solid (yes/no), is the lower left solid (yes/no), is the lower right solid (yes/no)...all that happens when you put a solid combo over a walkable combo, is that the solidity is transfered down to the combo on layer zero. You're asking for the water to be twice solid...but the memory structures only allow for them to be solid once.

[...]or having lock block combos open up on layers when a lock block on layer 0 opens?! what gives! i say that all combos should work on all layers or no combos work on any layers, instead of this 'well, only certain combos work on layers' crap!
Think of it this way...NO combos "work" on layers...you can't trigger any secrets via a combo on a layer, swim on a water-combo that's on a layer, or be moved by a conveyor combo that's on a layer. However, SOME combos change on layers, to add enhanced graphical effects. After all, that's what layers are all about--graphical effects. So it makes sense for combos' graphical effects properties (eg. lockblock combos all changeing at once so you're not left with half of a door) to "work" on layers, even though the combos themselves don't "work". And would it hurt so much to be happy the graphical effects do work, rather than complaining about the fact that they do? :P

Originally posted by DeathLink
just make the lava that right by the dirt (the beach i guess) not water, because you prob. dont want the zora there anyway. it should word that way, except you prob couldnt do raft or ladder (make it ladder only combo in that case) i dono
You can use the raft across anything. The only rules are, it has to start and stop on a dock combo...and there's a bug (or at least there used to be) that can show up if Link has the flippers, too, and there's water on either side of the dock, so it's best to surround them with rocks or something non-water that's solid (except on the side that Link comes in/exits on, if you're using the raft as a raft--though, like I said, Link can raft across anything, so you could use a non-water combo there too), unless you're leaving out the flippers.

You could also cross the lava with the hookshot. And don't forget, if you're going the way of using non-water solid combos at the edge of the lava, that you can use Cset2 to make combos that are half-lava and half-floor. If you're going the hookshot route, you could try making them "hookshot only" to make it so you can hookshot across the solid part...I'm not sure how well that would work in b182 and earlier, though you can certainly give it a try, but it should work well with the current betas, which have "hookshot only" fully implemented.

Knil
04-30-2003, 05:10 PM
i made a tiolet zora...just draw a toilet and make it a nonwalkable water combo, and place the zora flag...it was a great look on my moms face when she saw that room...it was a kids bathroom...