PDA

View Full Version : Link Modifier Ideas

idontknow
04-25-2003, 09:59 AM
Here I propose that anybody who has ideas regarding the Link modifiers, please post them; i can't wait for a new version to come out just for this! it will be awesome! :) oh! in case you don't know what i mean by Link Modifiers, click here (http://www.armageddongames.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71226) In a nutshell, they basically are variables you give certain items & when Link collects those items, his appearance/sprites will change! Here are a couple of my ideas I have had:
1. Making Link start out in his underwear & when he collects the blue ring, he gets clothing/uniform. When he gets the red ring, he gets some armor and when he gets the gold, he gains more, powerful armor.
2. Giving Link silver & then golden gauntlents upon collecting the bracelet 1 & the bracelet 2 items.
--If you have any clever ideas, feel free to express them!

OH! one more thing, since you could change Link's appearance using the Link modifiers if you want, then i suggest a quest rule which does not change Link's colors upon collecting the 3 rings, or maybe one for each ring, this would allow you to change Link's appearance from collecting the rings without changing pallettes, if you so choose

sorry, one final thing, swear to god! :) ok, somebody mentioned that the shielded Link sprites would no longer be hard-coded when using Link modifiers, so does that mean when collecting a shield, his sprite won't change at all unless you set a modifier to the shield items?

ShadowTiger
04-25-2003, 11:14 AM
Well, isn't this dandy. :drool: :kawaii: We can finally customize Link. I was thinking something about the spell "Stone Skin." :naughty: Maybe "Fire Armor" will also be possible. Will it? Will it? :eek:

idontknow
04-25-2003, 11:24 AM
what would stone skin do and what do ya mean by 'fire armor'? here's an idea that i suppose might help you if you want a fire-protecting tunic:
1. make your fire dungeon
2. place damage combo that look like the floor/ground all around the screen
3. put the boots somewhere in the quest--now you the player must find the boots in order to enter the dungeon without getting hurt all the time...maybe you could also use some combo cycling & tricks to make it so that Link gets hurt every so often-this would work best in a 'hot volcanoe-style' dungeon/cave
4. with the Link modifiers you can make it so that Link wears boots that protect him from the very hot ground or maybe make it a fire tunic
5. keep in mind that it would however protect link from other damage combos so consider this until we have damage combos that are not protected by the boots

ShadowTiger
04-25-2003, 11:28 AM
Umm.. thanks for all that.. but... I was meaning, that you could have a mage in your quest cast "Stone Skin" on Link for doing him a favor, and have it act as a ring/armor. :D Think about it. Instead of having Link's clothes change, he would just turn grey.

C-Dawg
04-25-2003, 02:37 PM
Bh4
Well, if you're only interested in changing Link's color, just use the normal ring palette system.

Ring Csets--
idontknow, you can easily make the rings stop changing Link's color- load the same colors into each ring Cset. What is nice about changing Link's colors with different tiles instead of different Csets is that this won't change the OTHER tiles that use Cset 4. For instance, Polis Voice normally change color with Link as he gets rings. We can avoid that now.

Multiple Characters--
The applications for multiple characters are very real now. If you want Link to be someone else for awhile, give him a new item; and then toggle him back when he picks up the next item. Might be useful for some "relay" quests, though without being able to disable or take away items, this is sort of a one-way street.

Sheilds--
As I understand it, these will not be hard-coded but will have some default setting, most likely.

Other Applications--
Don't be so narrow-minded. The item that acts as armor doesn't always have to be armor, the boots dont have to be boots, etc. You can have it represent anything you like. Perhaps Link's apperance changes because he reaches "Super Monkey-Alien 2" or something like that. Perhaps he's a mech and gets more weapons attatched. Or perhaps you just want to change the slash animation when he picks up a new item.

-C

Blonde799
04-25-2003, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by C-Dawg
Perhaps Link's apperance changes because he reaches "Super Monkey-Alien 2" or something like that.

:lol:
Good take on the obvious, C-Dawg.:p

With item control, you could also have vectorman type transformations, in which gameplay is drastically affected, but that's a whole 'nother setup.

bahamut_85
04-25-2003, 04:05 PM
With item control, you could also have vectorman type transformations, in which gameplay is drastically affected, but that's a whole 'nother setup.

With that Idea, you could make the *just about any item* be a drill transformation and then setting up the tiles you could make a screen where you drill through various areas.