PDA

View Full Version : Free-Form Dungeons

tai90210
04-24-2003, 08:23 PM
I'm confused. I know how to make regular doors, but I don't know how to make shutter doors, locked doors, bombable doors, walk-through walls, or boss doors. So I guess you could say I don't know much.

Cloral
04-24-2003, 08:36 PM
If you just check the 'freeform dungeons' rule, then you can use the normal doors whenever you need their functionality and open passages everywhere else. It really is the easiest way to handle these.

On the other hand, if you need a door in a non-usual place, you can do the following:
Shutter - just draw the closed shutter, and set the enemies->secret flag, or place a pushable block on the screen. Then, using secret combos make the open door and put it on top so that when secrets trigger the door opens.
Locked - use lock block combos when creating the locked door. Then when Link tries to open it, he'll use a key. Make sure though that only one side of the door is locked, otherwise it will cost a key for each direction Link tries to use the door (normally, if you have both sides of a door locked, ZC sees this and is able to unlock both sides, however you need to use regular doors for it to see this).
Bombable - just like shutter, except make one of the secret flags a 'bomb' flag, and don't use enemies->secret or a pushable block.
Walk-thru - really easy. Just create a copy of the wall combos, but make sure they are not impassible (the pink square should be clear). Although Link won't have to press against it like he does with automatic walk-thru walls.
Boss - just like locked, but instead you use the combo type for the boss key.

tai90210
04-24-2003, 08:39 PM
Thanks. This really helps. Now I can make free-form dungeons that actually work!

idontknow
04-24-2003, 09:15 PM
also see my tutorial for more in-depth details regarding freeform dungeons-like what it is exactly, how to make fully functional offcenter locked doors & shutters, etc. The link to it is in my signature

tai90210
04-24-2003, 09:15 PM
Thanks.