PDA

View Full Version : need storyline ideas for my quest

idontknow
04-23-2003, 09:34 PM
i need a good story line for my current quest, which i started not too long ago...basically, there are 8 temples, each with a "medalion"; one will be a volcanoe-like style, another in an ice cavern, another in a tree, another underwater, and some others. The triforce pieces will be medallions instead..i want some sort of monster (other than ganon) to have stolen them. 4 pieces belong to 2 Godesses each. I want some sort of story to unfold throughout the quest and perhaps a secret about Link that is revealed at the end of the quest. The overworld is simply "kakiriko" and i want houses to feature many different characters who will reveal vital information about "Ganon", the godesses, and perhaps about Link. The final level will be a 6-story 'tower' full of puzzles & hard enemies, all leading up to the final battle-which i'm still unsure if it should be a custom boss or just simply be the Ganon Room type. if you have any ideas, please post them here. Here are some things to include:
1. what should the godesses names be?
2. what is the big secret about Link?
3. what are some other characters in the quest?
4. is there a crisis occurring in the town?
5. what items should be in what temple?
6. what kind of custom bosses should i include?
7. any minigame/puzzle suggestions?
8. should i have custom tiles/sprites?
9. should i change the item sprites or just leave them as they came with the tileset?
10. how many heart pieces should i include?
11. any sidequests?
12. what difficulty level should it be?
*13. should i change this scenario altogether?

*if you do not like this whole scenario/story and suggest i change it altogether, please provide a possible story of your own with a decent amount of details.

If you have any ideas at all, including maybe some suggestions for 1, maybe 2 of these questions, please feel free to give your opinions and suggestions; again, helps is very appreciated. Thanks! :)

plith
04-23-2003, 10:43 PM
Mmmmm...

I don't like it. Stale. Formed from the same mold as all the other quests out there but for a few, if that many. No, what you need is to take a much different angle on the world of Zelda, if you still want to keep Link and allsuch.

In any case, I think I'd say the following...

1. Make three. Din, Nayru, and Farore, the goddesses of Power, Wisdom, and Courage, respectively. They're the only mentioned goddesses in the Zelda series that I know of, and as far as I know are the most prominent. You'd do well to follow that theme.
2. Big secret? About Link? Whatever you like. Make Ganondorf his dad if you really want. But if you have a big secret, reveal it before the final boss and foreshadow it through the quest. Suspense and all. ;)
3. Take your pick from previous Zelda games. Lots of good names to just yank out of there. And keep around the same types of creatures. Gorons, Zoras, Kokiri, Hylians, whatever works.
4. How dynamic do you want the quest to be? Do you want events to occur or do you just want a simple treasure hunt with no plot twists?
5. Depends on how you want the entire rest of the quest to work, I suppose.
6. Whatever fits certain situations.
7. Not really. Steal individual room puzzles from other quests and see if anyone catches wise. :blah:
8. Always enhances the original feel of a quest.
9. See 8.
10. At least as many as are necessary to obtain a full health meter.
11. Sidequests = More depth
More depth = More people who like the quest
More people who like the quest = More devoted fans
More devoted fans = Better chance of an obsessed fan
Better chance of an obsessed fan = Better chance of a stalker
Better chance of a stalker = Better chance of you getting attacked and raped
Better chance of you getting attacked and raped = Better chance of you being dead

So no.

12. Everyone seems intent on making their quests hard these days. You decide.

And also, I'd get rid of medallions altogether if I were you. OoT had them. And no more Triforce pieces either... Try to get a more original kind of artifact. Like statuettes, relics, skulls, whatever it be.

And don't go for 8. That's too standard. 3, 4, or even 6 would be better; just make the dungeons that much bigger. ;)

And although some people may bitch and moan, you might want to consider relatively linear gameplay. You can add that much more in the way of story by doing so.

Well, that's all that comes to me off the top of my head.

And I do believe I'll be moving this to Quest Announcement/Discussion, where it sounds like this belongs.

DarkFlameWolf
04-24-2003, 12:10 PM
yes, yes, as Plith said, no sidequests, those will eventually make you end up in a ditch somewhere. :P :lol:

C-Dawg
04-24-2003, 01:37 PM
There's a caveat to that notion. Don't bother with sidequests until you have a solid main quest.

-C

Blonde799
04-24-2003, 02:51 PM
1. Whatever you like. Try to find some humorous ones.
2. That he's a cross-dresser? I don't know. Don't bother, unless you have a completely different story in mind, or if you want the secret to be vital.
3. You, yourself, and....you.:p Unless they have vital roles in your quest, don't bother with any "minor" ones. Only more unneccesary work for you.
4. There shouldn't be any crisis, other than the task at hand, which is the collection thing. Any others would be insignificant, unless it's part of your story.
5. It doesn't matter. All items are balanced enough, that the quest can't be cleared with just one item, unless you make it that way.
6. If you're trying to "be different", don't bother, unless these bosses are tied in with the story somehow.
7. Just copy some puzzles, and be creative with the ones in the final dungeon.
8. Only if your quest needs them. Otherwise, see 6.
9. Go ahead. Otherwise, see 6.
10. First of all, think about how many hearts total you want the player to have. Then, think if the player actually wants to collect all those HCPs. Is there a reason to?
11. See 6. One thing you could do though is make more than one way to complete dungeons, or ways to grab items earlier than intended, but make sure it's not too easy.
12. It depends on the length of your quest, and how much work you're willing to put in. If it's very short, I suggest you have varying ones. Of course, you don't have to. If it's long, make it easy, but not too easy.
*13. Whatever you feel.:)

If you don't find the quest fun, scrap it, and do it over. Also, test your quest extensively with minimal equipment. You can find out the quest's difficulty easier this way.

idontknow
04-24-2003, 04:13 PM
thanks for your ideas...as far as like a story unfolding, i want it to be somewhat like in Ocarina of Time & Majora's Mask...i want people to talk about a certain event that has occurred and eventualy some significant information is revealed...i also would like to include cut scenes but i'm not sure of what...my overworld is only 1 map & fairly linear...i will probably have 8 regular temples & then actually more because these willl be temples that you need to go to only in order to get to other parts of the overworld, like caves, tunnels, extra dungeons, etc...i also plan on having the bait used a letter or pass or something so in that sense i will probably make at least one 'side quest'...i'm not sure why you guys object to it

Blonde799
04-24-2003, 04:30 PM
I really don't like sidequests in most ZC quests, because the quest isn't too fun past maybe completing it.:shrug: Maybe an innovative sidequest like a gallery(patent pending:p) may keep interest for longer.

Knil
04-28-2003, 05:04 PM
hey, idontknow, i would be honored if you used my idea, since i wont be able to publish it: Link is a zelda nut from this realm, goes to the vidoestore to get an ultra rare game, and gets sucked into it and must get out by being the main char. hope that helps for sumwhat originaltity. if ya need anymore description, lemme know. (if you use it that is) :poke:

DarkFlameWolf
04-29-2003, 01:10 AM
there is a gallery of sorts in my upcoming rpg, but that has nothing to do with ZC, so I'll shut my mouth about it. :D