PDA

View Full Version : custom boss ideas

idontknow
04-23-2003, 11:38 AM
here's a thread i dedicate to custom boss ideas. I know how to make a custom boss & all that, but what actual ideas to you guys have that other people could use? what should the boss look like? what enemies should it use? what are some good techniques to make the boss challenging? how could you make a really tough boss that takes skill & practice to beat? i am really stuck for ideas...also, if you have recomendations for where to download custom boss tiles for zquest, thatd be great too...somebody mentioned the tonberry tiles at the tileshop..i was thinking of using them myself for a custom boss..if you have any ideas specifically as to how they could be used too, that would be most excellent!

bahamut_85
04-24-2003, 04:17 PM
Im not really sure how you make custom bosses. I tried once, LOOOONG ago, and quit ZC soon afterwards for about a year. But I had an Idea for a boss I wanted to do. As far as I know it shouldnt be too hard. I always wanted to make a boss that was on four walls. Kinda like the Secret of Mana wall boss, but put him on more than one wall. and have his eyes shoot some kinda lasers. And I dont know if you could but it may be possible to make the eyes appear randomly on the wall. I know only the VERY basics of making a custom boss. So I dont know if that would even work. But I think it would be pretty cool to see a boss where you have to doge lines of attacks in a bunch of directions. It wouldnt be too hard, but hard enough.

idontknow
04-24-2003, 04:40 PM
well..you could use complex series of cycling combos or just use magic shot by certain enemies...like putting in croctoroks or something...you could also just use like tons of statue combos for fireballs but i'm not too sure about lazers...i'm not very good at custom bosses myself, but i've tried...

bahamut_85
04-24-2003, 08:00 PM
Lasers can be made by making them a damage tile and using different maps or combo cycling so the laser(damage tiles) look as though it is being moved forward.

ShadowTiger
04-25-2003, 12:00 PM
Well, ideas don't have to be that combo-cycled if they accomplish a purpose. For example, I have a knight that passes progressively down the screen, swiping to his left and right, alternating with the screen. Then he rides all over a little bit, leaving little blur lines wherever he goes. Then he holds up a bomb, and that is the chance Link gets to slash him. Then, it moves on to the next loop. Of course, we shouldn't get too excessive with the looping things, (AKA, stages.) or it'll get annoying fast. As long as it "flows," one shouldn't have any problems.

The Stalfos Den boss in SD, for example, was a very well done boss. But was it worth the work? Well, only one man can decide that for sure. I know that I won't be creating such elaborate bosses. All I need Link to do is be able to dodge, and know when to strike. That's all Link should do, and he'll be happy with it, by golly.

idontknow
04-25-2003, 12:50 PM
bh4, i won't steal your idea or anything...i'm just curious, how the hell did you make a knight going up & down a street & swing his sword? how much time did it take you to make that boss & how many tiles? i myself was thinking of a large stalfos enemy but i'm not sure how it would attack..i also want the following:
1. an adominable snow monster for my ice cave
2. a giant wizzard or sorcrerous or something that shoots magic that must be reflected back at him for my mage's sanctuary
3. a dragon who's wings send Link away from him & shoots fire towards Link
4. an large electric jellyfish or something for my lightening dungeon
5. some sort of enemy for my water dungeon; perhaps a giant zora or maybe an electric eel or an 'amoprhous' type enemy like from OoT
6. a giant dodongo
7. a large goron who pounds the ground causing damage to strike Link from a distance

bahamut_85
04-25-2003, 04:13 PM
3. a dragon who's wings send Link away from him & shoots fire towards Link

Thats a really nice Idea, and it actually would be much easier to implement than most custom bosses I've seen. and have damage tiles or traps or pits at the bottom, so if link gets swept away gets hurt or falls to the bottom floor. you could also put pillars that would block the wind. where link would have to hide behind when he sees the boss starting the wind attack.

idontknow
04-25-2003, 06:01 PM
yeah, i was thinking about having floor combos that cycle to conveyor combos that look liike the floor when the dragon does the attack...do you know where i might find some good dragon tiles to use?..i want it to be like 1 X 3 or something...also, how should the boss be destroyed?..should i put enemies on the dragon & hide them? should i use flags?...should there be a specific point at which link has to attack? should he have a weak spot?

bahamut_85
04-25-2003, 07:45 PM
I'm not sure of the dimensions, the dragons in Final Fantasy 5 I think would look really nice.. might be a little small though. You could always put it into photo though and enlarge/recolor it.
Yes, it should only be available for attck at a specific cycle in its loop. Like have it fly around attacking, and then land, then you can attack. As it takes off, the Conveyor belts go off. You could also make it destory the pilliars that Link can hide behind, durring the wind, as it losses life. I never got far enough into a custom boss to know how to make them be damaged. But as far as i know, you have to hide an enimies (Gibdos) to simulate the damage. Or you could have it be a puzzle boss (dont actualy attack boss but does something with the enviorment to damage it.) head or body should be attack points. Try to figure a way to incorporate your item. With the new flags it should be easy. As every item has its own flag.

idontknow
04-25-2003, 08:03 PM
where do i get this dragon? i was sort of hoping for a dragon that is colored with the zc puretileset pallette...maybe you could recolor it & then post a pic somewhere for me to download ;) since i suck at recoloring.......

bahamut_85
04-25-2003, 09:35 PM
I'll go check it out for ya

EDIT: The dragon tiles are 3x3 wings folded and 5x3 Wings out. I have recolored a number of them and it looks really nice. But due to the limitations of the Pure Pallette (I think the Decendant Pallette is much better) the colors were not as good as I could have gotten. I dont have a place to host a picture, not really great with that kinda stuff. So tell me a spot I can host and while I'm waiting I'll try and finish re-coloring the rest.

EDIT: Well they're finished and I failed to find a spot to put them and it doesnt seem to be working at ZCN so, if you want em, e-mail me at [email protected] or AIM me on darkbahamut2