PDA

View Full Version : Would you care to help a poor fellow out?

Bloodstar64
04-22-2003, 04:20 PM
I tried to play Red Faction and got an error about DirectX 8.0 and that it could not intilize. So I went to the DirectX Diagnostic Tool and did the display tests and I got this:

Direct3D test results: Failure at step 5 (GetDeviceCaps): HRESULT = 0x8876086a (3D not available)

Anyone know how to help me fix this error and get Red Faction to work?

Ich
04-22-2003, 04:23 PM
Try reinstalling Dx 8, or downloading 9 from their site.

Bloodstar64
04-22-2003, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by ICHBINDASWALROSS
Try reinstalling Dx 8, or downloading 9 from their site.

I tried reinstalling DirectX 8. no luck. And 9 was going to take an hour. :shrug:

Beldaran
04-22-2003, 05:42 PM
What it's telling you is that your directX software is having a problem finding out what the device capabilities of your video card are. The problem could possible be with DirectX, but it could also be with your video card.

Go to control panel, then there should be an item called "DirectX". Double clikc on this and click "DirectXdiag" which is the DirectX diagnostics tool.

If this tool does not yield any pertinant information, you should try re-installing your video card drivers. This can be accomplished with the "add/remove hardware" menu in your control panel.

What kind of video card do you have?

Thunderbird
04-23-2003, 12:14 AM
If you just rebooted, try what they said above. However, if your system has been running a long time, try a reboot first. I sometimes have an errant app GPF on me involving D3D, and as a result, D3D programs are no longer able to start.