PDA

View Full Version : Everyone wants to be an owner.

ShadowTiger
04-20-2003, 03:47 PM
OK.. this has gotten a bit extreme. 3 of my friends at various forums just opened up smaller forums. Only one of them actually seems worthy of paying even a bit of attention to, but did they have to announce them within a forum? It's like having a symbiode suddenly turn into a parasite. So horrible. :shakeno:

So what do you think I should do? I mean, I'm already at AGN, CZC, CDG, Munkys, and one or two others, but... how can I separate myself from all the others like this, just to go off and become an admin for my friends forums (Which is a very likely case, believe it or not. :odd: ) So now I've got about 7 forums under my belt, and I can only handle 3 at a time.

If there was ever a moment for a hearty "WTF," it would be now.

Thunderbird
04-20-2003, 04:32 PM
Do what I do: Skim :blah:.

I can visit anywhere from 3 to 6 (I think) forums a day.

Strider
04-20-2003, 04:34 PM
Maybe do a poll about it, it seam like about a tenth of the members are owners or at least admins in some forum.

And yea I dont like that everyone want there own forum and think that one will be better, just splitting up comuneties.

ShadowTiger
04-20-2003, 04:57 PM
And yea I dont like that everyone want there own forum and think that one will be better, just splitting up comuneties.
Yep, that seems to be happening here. I've seen it in virtually EVERY SINGLE... every single forum that I'm on. Someone goes off to become an owner, then gets all befuddled in the technical stuff, and is forced to just sit there. It's kind of like jumping into an oven pit, and expecting that he can stand up to the heat. The he's horribly burned, and can't even leave. (I'm big on Analogies. ;) :rolleyes: )

But I think I can skim. The thing is, every single forum I'm on, I'm a moderator, or a C-mod, or an Administrator. And with rank, comes responsibility. Thankfully, CDG is a fun place, as are most of the forums I'm on. But if it gets dull, I should probably just quit those.

DarkDragon
04-20-2003, 05:44 PM
Smack them upside the head, and remind them that Lucifer too preferred mastery of Hell to servitude in Heaven. Message boards where the only members are you and your close friends are without exeption wastes of bandwidth. (Including boards where the only members are you and your alter-egos.)
Plus, you can hardly fulfill your obligation as a member of the staff if your attention is divided between so many forums.

carrot red
04-20-2003, 07:23 PM
You just have to set your priorities straight and learn to say no from time to time.
I agree with DarkDragon about 200%.

Gerudo
04-20-2003, 08:44 PM
its just looking before you leap... dont go getting yourself into a mess with message boards if you dont know what your doin... i'll send a big thanks to +2 for helpin me out the first time that happened to me. ;)

anyways, as far as being a forum owner/admin/whatever... AGN is the only forum i am a moderator on...

Jemsee
04-20-2003, 09:11 PM
I have become a member to several boards but AG is my home on the net and always will be.
If for some reasion AG went south, kick the bucket, joined the other messages boards in the sky (or whatever) I may have to take up resedence elsewhere. But for now it's AG then other places to viset.
No real rhym or reasion for this...just is.
There is a lot of other good boards too, but like BH4 has found himself in there is just not enough time.
I'd love to spent more time at GU and CZC just to menchen a few, but time like money must be spent wisely.

slothman
04-21-2003, 02:02 AM
I just read (or is it green) an arcticle in Sci-Am about networks and scalability. They mentioned the "6 degrees of sep" theory. I wonder how many forums would be needed if all the "extraneous" ones were combined.

Fiyerstorm
04-21-2003, 02:39 AM
I visit 3 other forums, and I mod at 1 but it's always down so blah!

Daarkseid
04-21-2003, 03:02 AM
Unless a person intends to build a message board for something else(like AGN's boards centers around a group of amateur game designers, namely Zelda Classic), a message board that exists only for itself should be ignored.

J.J. Maxx
04-21-2003, 10:49 AM
Meh, new forums pop up like wildfire. They never last and they never get enough members to make it fun. AGN has stood the test of time and is one of the most well-run forums you'll find on the net.

Personally, I don't have time to browse a dozen forums. Besides, I don't like to be a 'lurker' on 8 message boards. I'd rather be an active member on the best one. :thumbsup:

satanman
04-21-2003, 11:04 AM
I'm only on 2 - AGN and GU
I'm a regular member on both :p
I'd like an OZ mod spot here, but GD's too lazy to get new mods (he's not even working on it or coming here anymore)

Cronic
04-21-2003, 12:19 PM
I like forums, but can only handle two at a time... Sometimes I pop in on GU to see how things are going there, but mostl I run my mouth here, and work on ZCN :shrug:

I do agree that some message boards are a complete waste of space Kenage's MO comes to mind...