PDA

View Full Version : Freedom, MN

Shadowblazer
04-17-2003, 10:39 PM
images/blazer/freedom-mn.gif

Just heard this on the news. Apparently the town of French, Minnesota has changed its name to Freedom. And I thought the "Freedom Fries" thing was silly, but changing the name of a town? To be fair, it sounds like it's more of a little community than a full-fledged town. Haven't been able to find any further mention of it anywhere on the web.

Paradox
04-17-2003, 10:41 PM
heh, they were probably insulted that their town's country is scared of war.

Jigglysaint
04-17-2003, 11:26 PM
Thank goodness I never had to take Freedom in high school.

I wonder how the Freedom community in Quebec will take this? Also, I guess the second official language of Canada is now Freedom, although it's more like Freedomglais, if it's the kind the speak in Quebec.

Saffith
04-17-2003, 11:37 PM
I wonder how much farther this'll go before people realize it's fucking stupid...
Freedom poodles? Freedom doors? Freedom Stewart?

carrot red
04-18-2003, 02:55 AM
I wonder what would happen if the French start turning the table around and change American with "War" or any other term they use to qualify us nowadays.
Freedom kiss has a nice ring to it though.;)

Drunken Tiger
04-18-2003, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by carrot red
Freedom kiss has a nice ring to it though.;)

LoL

I like it.. :naughty:

But the others are just plain stupid, IMHO...:shrug:

VashdeStampedo!
04-18-2003, 03:03 AM
Doesn't this mean you anti-war people hate Freedom? Oppressive nazi communist jewish terrorist hippie conservatives.

mikeron
04-18-2003, 03:13 AM
Well, in fairness, you wouldn't want your town's name to be Impotent Cuntrag, now would you?

Originally posted by VashdeStampedo!
Doesn't this mean you anti-war people hate Freedom? Oppressive nazi communist jewish terrorist hippie conservatives. No.

VashdeStampedo!
04-18-2003, 03:22 AM
Yeah it does. If French now is Frredom, that means you hate the Freedom for their opinion. Ha! Yahtzee! I win again!

Daarkseid
04-18-2003, 04:09 AM
Yeah it does. If French now is Frredom, that means you hate the Freedom for their opinion. Ha! Yahtzee! I win again!

No you see, we hate the french, so we're changing it to something Americans have always loved, Freedom. It makes things more pleasant, I'm guessing. I love how you spiced your epithets with anti-semitism, though.

stormwatcheagle
04-18-2003, 04:18 AM

Well, if you're gonna be an ass about it, you spelled "freedom" wrong, so you've accomplished nothing but spammed a perfectly legitimate thread.

I really don't like this French bashing. It's so damn childish. In the end, the French are still our friends. I don't see any purpose to all this freedom crap. Freedom is something americans hold dear to their hearts, and so do the French, as they have exercised their freedom to not agree with us.

Mander
04-18-2003, 04:24 AM
It amazes me the way people carry on. And the thing that stikes me is France was just one of the countries that opposed the invading of Iraq. Shouldn't all words with Chinese, Russian, German etc in them be changed also?

Daarkseid
04-18-2003, 04:28 AM
Originally posted by Mander
It amazes me the way people carry on. And the thing that stikes me is France was just one of the countries that opposed the invading of Iraq. Shouldn't all words with Chinese, Russian, German etc in them be changed also?

Theres no real history in the US of belittling the Germans, Russians or Chinese. France on the other hand, and its culture, has been the target of American ridicule for decades now.

Mercy
04-18-2003, 04:29 AM
Doesn't this mean you anti-war people hate Freedom?
Since 'freedom' is the new word for 'French' and the French were in opposition to the war then anti-war people would be pro-freedom.

Oppressive nazi communist jewish terrorist hippie conservatives.
:odd:

*edit*

Originally posted by Daarkseid
Theres no real history in the US of belittling the Germans, Russians or Chinese.

The Germans have been a target at least since their tenure as mercenaries during the Revolutionary War. The Russians since the turn of the twentieth century and the Chinese since the nineteenth century. Chinese were considered less than third-class citizens right behind negros and women folk in the western states.

m.

mikeron
04-18-2003, 04:56 AM
I think one of the key points about France is that both World Wars found that country in need of US help. The US got dragged into Vietnam after the French failed to settle things there, and French culture has a particular condescention toward Americans every now and then.

Gerudo
04-18-2003, 05:12 AM
Originally posted by Jigglysaint
Thank goodness I never had to take Freedom in high school.

I wonder how the Freedom community in Quebec will take this? Also, I guess the second official language of Canada is now Freedom, although it's more like Freedomglais, if it's the kind the speak in Quebec. thats the dumbest thing ive read in a while... be you serious or not...

Doesn't this mean you anti-war people hate Freedom? Oppressive nazi communist jewish terrorist hippie conservatives. i love my freedom, but that comment makes me dislike you... oppressive people suck, nazis suck, i have NO greivances against jewish people, dont EVER call me a terrorist, hippies are cool, and lastly, politics suck ass... so fuckoff kthx... :meanie:

Originally posted by mikeron
Well, in fairness, you wouldn't want your town's name to be Impotent Cuntrag, now would you?
No. no because he lives the same town as me... :(

Yeah it does. If French now is Frredom, that means you hate the Freedom for their opinion. Ha! Yahtzee! I win again! i have no comment for this one...

Originally posted by stormwatcheagle

Well, if you're gonna be an ass about it, you spelled "freedom" wrong, so you've accomplished nothing but spammed a perfectly legitimate thread.

I really don't like this French bashing. It's so damn childish. In the end, the French are still our friends. I don't see any purpose to all this freedom crap. Freedom is something americans hold dear to their hearts, and so do the French, as they have exercised their freedom to not agree with us. i am in 100% agreement with you SWE...

It amazes me the way people carry on. And the thing that strikes me is France was just one of the countries that opposed the invading of Iraq. Shouldn't all words with Chinese, Russian, German etc in them be changed also? i am also in 100% agreement with you as well, Mander...

Shadowblazer
04-18-2003, 07:55 AM
It amazes me the way people carry on. And the thing that stikes me is France was just one of the countries that opposed the invading of Iraq. Shouldn't all words with Chinese, Russian, German etc in them be changed also? Hmmm, you may be on to something. I'm gonna go play Freedom Checkers, and afterwards maybe fix a delicious piece of Freedom Chocolate Cake ;)

Vash, might I suggest you have yourself a nice game of Freedom Roulette? :sb:

The scary thing is, with the absurd "Freedom" replacements that people have already adopted, the above examples might not be too far-fetched...

carrot red
04-18-2003, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by stormwatcheagle
You should have seen what he did to a perfectly nice World History thread in forum games.:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Gerudo
i love my freedom, but that comment makes me dislike you... oppressive people suck, nazis suck, i have NO greivances against jewish people, dont EVER call me a terrorist, hippies are cool, and lastly, politics suck ass... so fuckoff kthx... :meanie:
I'm in 100% agreement with you on that, Gerudo!

Originally posted by Shadowblazer
Vash, might I suggest you have yourself a nice game of Freedom Roulette? :sb:
I like this one even better than my Freedom kiss "invention".:)

Ich
04-18-2003, 11:59 AM
I like "Liberty" toast rather than freedom. I think the two should be kind of interchangeable, other than for freedom fries, becuase of the alliteration.