PDA

View Full Version : Using Downloaded Tiles

Link879
04-17-2003, 11:51 AM
:confuse2: Im new at making quests using ZQuest and that brings me to another question. How exactly do I use downloaded tiles in ZQuest?:confuse2:

plith
04-17-2003, 12:37 PM
If you just have regular .bmp or .gif files, you go to the tilepages (Quest->Graphics->Tiles) and click Grab to grab the tiles from the image files. Note that you would then have to edit those tiles most likely to fit in your palette. If you just want to use a pre-made tileset, you go to File->Import->Graphics Pack and select the .zgp file.

Moving to ZC Quest Editor Help

Link879
04-18-2003, 11:05 AM
How would I get the .bmp or .gif files into ZQuest then?

Verbatim
04-18-2003, 01:46 PM
That's what the first part of plith's post was about:

Originally posted by plith
If you just have regular .bmp or .gif files, you go to the tilepages (Quest->Graphics->Tiles) and click Grab to grab the tiles from the image files. Note that you would then have to edit those tiles most likely to fit in your palette.

If the tiles are made for the palette you're using (for example, if you start out with the Pure palette, and import some tiles that were made to go with the Pure palette) it's a bit easier to re-color them to match.

Or, if you go into the palettes and load the right one to Cset 9, I think you may be able to import tiles that are drawn in that Cset without having to re-color them afterwards. I've never tested that myself, though...I've never actually imported tiles intended for the tileset I was using, so I always re-colored them by hand.

Link879
04-18-2003, 02:00 PM
I understand but Im asking how to load them into ZQuest. Do I use import graphics or something else like that? Also when I downloaded some of the tile sets it had a .qst extension on it... isnt that extension for a quest file:confuse2: how would I use that for the tiles?:confuse2:

Verbatim
04-18-2003, 05:07 PM
Some graphics sets were distributed in .qst format for a while because ZGPs were buggy (back around b152 or b163).

If you're creating a new quest and want to use a tileset that's in a .qst, just open up zquest, then go to file->open and choose the quest, and then file->save as, to save it under a different name. And then get building.

For the bitmaps, you go to Quest->Graphics->Tiles, move the cursor to an empty tile-space where you want the new tiles added, click the "grab" button, click the "choose file" button, pick the bitmap or gif file you want to rip graphics from, choose the tile(s) you want to import and click on OK.

If the colors come out wrong, get into the right cset, select the tile, click the edit button, and fix them up.

The import->graphics stuff is for getting a ZGP or any of its subcomponents imported...if you have a .zgp or a .til, that's the way to get it imported.

Link879
04-21-2003, 03:41 PM
Ok.. I get that part, now for another question that just came about.. when I go to Quest -> Graphics -> Tiles, many pages of tiles show up, I know how to import my own tiles into these pages but, how do I use them for actually making the quest?

plith
04-21-2003, 08:34 PM
That's not tiles. That's combos. Combos are little clusters of information that record the following:

1) The tile used
2) Which parts of the combo are walkable
3) Frames of animation (the frames are merely subsequent tiles from the tilepages)
4) Animation speed (How many tics between frames, there being 60 tics to a second)
5) CSet2 information. This is only if you for some reason need to use two CSets on the same combo. Ignore it.
6) The combo type (pushable, slashable, water, dock, shallow water, tall grass, hookshot grab, slow-walk, etc.)

To edit combos, just scroll up and down on the combo pages to the right side of the screen (SHIFT+UP/DOWN) and right-click on a combo (blank ones are the red-on-black squares) to get to the combo editor. Click on the left-most of the three boxes to edit tile, and the middle box controls walk-ability. Ignore the right-most box.

Link879
04-23-2003, 01:17 PM
Well ok... now I can use combos.. sorta.. I right click on one of the combos whatever those are, that are on the right side of the main screen, to edit it. I change it to something I want from the combo pages, but when I change it to something new, what ever combo I changed, turned into the new one. I'll give an example since I may not be saying this to clearly, lets say I chose to edit the bush, I change the combo into part of a mountian side, then whatever bushes I preavously placed, change into the mountain side. How do I fix this? Is there a way to get a completely new set of combos to show up on the right side of the main screen?:confuse2:

Freedom
04-23-2003, 02:12 PM
don't change them, add the new ones you need.

go down to the bottom of the combos on the right frame and click on a blank to move the new combo you desire to that position and then set whatever functions by right clicking on it, like walkable or non walkable, or water, tall grass, etc., and also to set animation and frames for animated combos.

If you want them ALL changed, then upload the graphics pack and pallettes along with the tiles & combos from the quest that has the tiles and combos you desire.

Edit.

one more thing, you didn't say what version you are using.
best go with the 192b182 and grab the 183 player.
it has much better functions and more room for combos, the 190 is nice but so were gas lights before the invent of the electric lightbulb :O)

Link879
04-23-2003, 02:35 PM
I am using the 1.92 beta183 player and the 1.92 beta182 ZQuest program.. are you only limited to editing only that amount of combos in that right frame on the main screen? or is there a way to get a new "page" of other there? Of course I realize that there is a way to do this with dungeon combos.. but what about the overworld?

Freedom
04-23-2003, 02:39 PM
they are all there, and if you want a new one you put it there like I described above.

if you import a new one, to your tiles, then you have to move it there for use in your quest.

you can "edit" tiles by going to the tile pages and clicking on edit, then you move your new edited tile into your combos for use in your quest.

example;

you want the little saw guys from Link to the Past.

you grab them from a gif.

the color is wrong...
so you edit the colors.

then you move the finished product to combos by right clicking on the red BLANK square at the bottom of the combos on the right.

now it's ready for placement in your quest.

You do know how to move the combos on the right up and down right?
or is this maybe your problem?

you hold "shift" down and press up and down on the page up page down keys

Verbatim
04-23-2003, 02:54 PM
I think the answer to your question was already answered by Plith: press Shift + up-arrow/down-arrow to make the combos scroll on the right side of the screen.

In 1.90, there were different combo "pages", now the've been unified, so you can use all 256 x 256 combos on any screen you want to.

Link879
04-23-2003, 04:09 PM
Ohhh stupid me... heh heh ok I see now... thanks for clearing that up for me!

Verbatim
04-24-2003, 05:20 PM
Oh...one more thing, I forgot to mention...to move through the combos faster, once you've got lots of them, try shift + page-up/page-down. ;)

Link879
04-24-2003, 05:22 PM
Oh ok. Well thanks for the help you all gave me.. I think I will start working on my first quest now.. thanks again!