PDA

View Full Version : Midnight Club II Verdict = FUCKING AWESOME!!!!

AlexMax
04-14-2003, 10:48 PM
It is impossible to comprehend how much ass this game kicks...especially online.

In all actuallity, single player is.....pretty good, nothing too spectacular. You race street races in three sprawling cities (while not sprawling to the point where they are confusing after an initial familiarity run), and had it been the games entirety, it would simply be the next generation of Driver and the driving portion of Grand Theft Auto.

But online play.....face it people, you don't really want to see GTA Online. Being out of the car is nice, ,but it wouldn't make for good multiplayer. Midnight Club II is everything you could want in a multiplayer racing game, except for closed courses. (And if you really want those, stick to the freeways). In addition to the checkpoint races (in order, any order, first to last t first) battle modes (demolition, CTF), there is the god send that is CRUISE ONLINE! This lets you and 7 other people simply explore arouind a city, no rules, kinda like an online free skate in THPS4.

This might not seem so big, but honestly, what other racing games allow you to play online with no real objective, for you to just mess around? The fact that chat (and USB keyboard support and 4 preset messages) is woven into the actual racing game (instead of just the lobby) makes CRUISE even better.

What happens? Well, a SHITLOAD of dragraces from unspecified points, a SHITLOAD of games of chicken, a SHITLOAD of games of 'see if you can catch up with me, punk', and a SHITLOAD of demolition derbys, all happening out of some sort of racing instinct. 99% of the time, you dont have to express your wishes, you just bolt off from a crowd, and one or two cars zoom in behind you trying to catch up with you. You burnout in front of a streetlight, others line up with you waiting for the light to turn green. Chat is nice for things like "Hey, anyone want to join up with me at LAX?", but still...it never EVER gets old...

This adds up to one thing.

Fun.

Buy this game with a network adapter NOW! It's MUCH better than the 'tacked on' online racing of ATV Offroad Fury 2, and at the moment is funner than both my precious tribes and amplitude...combined. I'll see you (in the rear view mirror of my bike that is) in the streets of MC2 Los Angelos...

War Lord
04-14-2003, 11:07 PM
Got Mario Kart Advance last week. You can't comprehend how much better any mario kart game is compared to any racing game. Especially when you link up and play a friend.
;)

<·23:23:29·@Breaker·> alexmax sounds like he's public relations for the game
<·23:23:33·@Breaker·> and getting paid to say that shit
<·23:23:36·@Breaker·> ;o
<·23:23:37·@WarLord-AG·> lol, yes he does

Gerudo
04-14-2003, 11:54 PM
recommendation taken into consideration... thanks alex...

Cronic
04-15-2003, 11:53 AM
Ok I'm gonna be nice about this... well as nice as I can be at least....

Rockstar games outside of GTA suck ass plain and simple, and what the hell makes you think online GTA wouldn't be cool? Not only would it offer you every thing you just mentioned but it would add to it... Boats, Choppers, gunfights.... You could be your own gang, and fight others for turf. Pure racing games are boring as fuck as they offer very little variety in what you can do. I'll agree with War Lord that Mario Kart is an exception to this as it's genuinly creative in what it does... something most other racing games lack.

Once again I think youre the odd man out on this one, Alex... You have your favorites, and for you that's just fine, but honestly youre the last person I would take a recomendation from :shrug: and MC 1 sucked ass... It was on par with State of Emergency at best.

:p

Beldaran
04-15-2003, 12:12 PM
What system is this for?

And I agree that GTA online would be sweet ass.

Cronic
04-15-2003, 12:13 PM
it's PS2.

AlexMax
04-15-2003, 05:37 PM
And Xbox (Online play over XBL) and PC (Online Play over normal internet). I dunno about the cube though...

And of course Midnight Club sucked ass. That's why it passed the selling requirements to be a 'greatest hit', along with GT3 (another respectable racing game). Dude, MC2 is a big orgasmic adrenaline rush, and one of the ONLY games to do this to me, not even GTA3 did this to me in the biggest cop battles (Honestly, the cops arent as smart or relentless in MC2 as in GTA3, but then again when I'm screaming down a straightaway at 170 miles an hour they honestly don't have time to blink before I'm gone).

About your GTA multiplayer, actaully that does seem pretty cool, especially the turf war. (If they integrate a sort of capture and hold variation into GTA and call it 'turf war', that would SERIOUSLY kick ass) But until we get a multiplayer GTA, this is the next best thing. And maybe you havn't played MC2, but the addition of the burnout (Fast 180's quick off the line), slipstream (get a free turbo if you tag along long enough behind a car) and weight transfer (shift your car in midair, do a two wheeler on the ground, do a wheelie, quick turn, ducking (for speed) or an endo (to show off) on a bike), not to mention powerups (in some multiplayer games) add a LOT to the vehicles compared to GTA VC. I really truely think that if you would try online mode in cruise, you would change your mind real quick.

And I haven't even played MC1 either, so I can't make a statement about that except that it sold well. I'll agree with you on State of Emergency, Thrasher: Skate and Destroy, and possibly Smugglers Run 1, but Smugglers Run: Warzones was pretty good (especially with four players, yum)

And I am seriously not 'advertising' this. Well, I am, but only because I honestl to god think this game kicks ass.