PDA

View Full Version : Evercraft?

tgf_guy
04-14-2003, 11:01 AM
www.everquest.com

Earlier on in the year, IGN announced an article (http://pc.ign.com/articles/365/365164p1.html) about the possibility of an Everquest RTS... first screenshot? O_o

Shadowblazer
04-18-2003, 08:21 AM
I'm torn between thinking that Lords of EverQuest (http://lordsofeverquest.station.sony.com/) looks kinda cool, and thinking that it looks like a cheap War3 ripoff. I dunno, maybe I just don't have as much faith in SOE (though really, this EQ RTS isn't even being made by SOE, as I understand it) as I do Blizzard.

See, in my mind, Blizzard can take an extremely successful RTS series and build a kickass MMORPG that takes place in its universe. They're just that damn good. Unfortunately, I see nothing but disaster in SOE taking a mediocre MMORPG and trying to make an RTS out of it.

Now don't get me wrong, there are so many things that I love about EverQuest and its lore. I mean I practically lived in Norrath for almost two years ;) I'll probably get this game, just to see what it does for the EverQuest universe. But I don't see it being anything to wait on the edge of my seat for, as I am with Frozen Throne and WoW.

Edit: After looking at all the screenshots they've got up, I'm even less impressed than I was before. I think the character models look great. They're like little EQ figurines ;) The shots of the game in action, on the other hand, aren't doing anything for me.

bigjoe
04-18-2003, 08:26 AM
It sounds silly. I mean , its almost like theyre trying to get back at Blizzard by making an RTS out of a MMORPG, just because Blizzard is doing the opposite. =P

deathofspam
04-18-2003, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by BigJoe
It sounds silly. I mean , its almost like theyre trying to get back at Blizzard by making an RTS out of a MMORPG, just because Blizzard is doing the opposite. =P

Oh good, so i am not the only one who got that feeling

Warlock
04-18-2003, 12:02 PM
wow.. yeah, that does look pretty crappy :D haha.. it looks like a muddy toned-down version of WarCraft 3 :D haha.. I mean, first off, look at all the ugly SFX in those screens. Almost all of them have some, and they are all quite plain and boring. They also distract from the other visuals, which I have to say, the units tend to blend into the ground (which IMHO is quite ugly) :D

Edit: Speaking of which:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2003/20030418l.gif

Planet_Buster
04-18-2003, 01:46 PM
penny arcade, always on top of things :D
yeah, to me this game just looks like SOE's crappy attempt to rip off war3...

Warlock
04-18-2003, 03:20 PM
Did you see their page too? hahaha..

Lords of EverQuest is a revolutionary Real-Time Strategy game inspired by the lore of the online gaming phenomenon EverQuest.

LOL, revolutionary.. yes, if copying WarCraft 3 is considering revolutionary :D I mean, in general there is nothing wrong w/ making a game that is similar to another one, but don't call it revolutionary.. cuz it's not :D

Unparalleled Graphics - State of the art custom 3D engine that brings characters and environments to life.

If unparalleled means shitty, then yes :D I mean, hell.. they look like Populous: Beginnings graphics (one of the early 3d RTS games)

ALL Units Grow in Power - For the first time, every unit in the game can level up and grow in skills and abilities.

So, is this the revolutionary thing? Cuz really, you could make a custom map in War 3 where every unit is a hero and it'd be the same damn thing! hahaha..

Hundreds of Magical Items - Discover magical artifacts to arm your troops as you become a force to be reckoned with.

Uhh, War 3 anyone?

Superior Multiplayer Features - Enhanced multiplayer capabilities allow up to 12 players to challenge each other through an upcoming matchmaking service.

<sarcasm>Wow! 12 players! Amazing! I've never seen that before! And a matchmaking system! These guys are amazing!</sarcasm>

Hahaha, I know maybe I am being a bitch harsh, but the thing is WarCraft 3. They saw Blizzard making a MMORPG that will prob. screw them out of a bunch of customers, and said "Hey, let's make a RTS game and screw THEM out of customers! Yeah!" :D

BTW, I think they saw me coming to laugh at them.. I can't access that page anymore (as soon as I tried to click screenshots to laugh at the shitty graphics again it froze up and I can't get back in except for the window I already have open).. haha

bigjoe
04-18-2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Warlock

LOL, revolutionary.. yes, if copying WarCraft 3 is considering revolutionary :D I mean, in general there is nothing wrong w/ making a game that is similar to another one, but don't call it revolutionary.. cuz it's not :D

Using that frame of mind , one could call "World of Warcraft" a ripoff of Everquest and the like..

I am willing the give this "Lords of Everquest" game a chance. However, I am not entirely impressed by what Ive seen so far, having already experienced Warcraft 3.

Warlock
04-18-2003, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by BigJoe

Using that frame of mind , one could call &quot;World of Warcraft&quot; a ripoff of Everquest and the like..

I am willing the give this &quot;Lords of Everquest&quot; game a chance. However, I am not entirely impressed by what Ive seen so far, having already experienced Warcraft 3.

Well, the thing is, WoW is doing quite a bit of original and new stuff. Yes, it's a MMORPG, but it's not a direct ripoff of Everquest. The idea was that Blizzard took a look at all the major MMORPGs out there, looked at what worked, what didn't, and what was really annoying (i.e. load times b/w zones, etc). And then they made the best effort to fix these problems in WoW. On top of that, Blizzard is adding a lot of new stuff to the mix.. However, this game seems to be almost identical to WarCraft 3 in many many respects. I mean, you got heroes, you have inventory, you even have a similar engine (look at the screens, it resembles war 3 quite a bit, yet looks uglier :D)

tgf_guy
04-20-2003, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Warlock

Well, the thing is, WoW is doing quite a bit of original and new stuff.

I dunno. While I will not contend that WoW contains the unique and exciting graphical and musical style that Blizzard entertainment has adopted, it does not really look dis-similar to something like Dark Age of Camelot. (Fight monster, level up, buy skills, etc.)

And the thing that really disappointed me was the limited PvP announcement. While I can understand that not everyone is into battling the Orcish horde or the Alliance, I would think that, since Blizzard is drawing on the support of its massive player base, there would be more focus on War?

Although, still, I will definately have to check out WoW, if, for no other reason, to play with Shadowclan. ;)