PDA

View Full Version : I'm Ba-ack! With a question!

zoraking
04-13-2003, 10:05 PM
Hi y'all! have'nt been on in a long time. Got one question. Is there a way to makea battle like in Final Fantasy? I'd like to know please. Thanks.:confused:

TheGeepster
04-14-2003, 06:32 AM
If you mean a turn-based battle, the answer is an emphatic no.

Zelda has had and will always have a real time overhead battle, although there are ways to emulate a side view.

There is no way to emulate turn-based battles though.

ShadowTiger
04-14-2003, 08:28 AM
Oh, I'm sure it's possible, if you follow the "custom boss" theory. If you mean the "stepping on random tiles creates a battle scene" theory, it's hard to do in itself, and if you want a custom battle scene for all the scenes, it just may not be worth it. :shrug:

zoraking
04-14-2003, 09:07 AM
Okay, I guess I cant do a turnbased but is a side battle possible?
What is that custom boss thing too, Britannianhero4?

ShadowTiger
04-14-2003, 10:45 AM
Oh. :kawaii: It's a rather lengthy sequence of individual scenes, comprised of layers the represent boss fireballs and graphics. They're all stringed together to form an elaborate sequence of screen-based animation which is interactive in the sense that each new screen has a different layout of the boss, so one screen will have one frame of animation of a swinging mace from the boss, while Link then steps on the pit warp which looks like the floor, sending him instantly to a next scene, which looks like the next frame of animation of the boss's mace swing. And under the mace, each scene has a damage combo. That's the basic summary though. Look around, and you'll find a better explanation. :)

Verbatim
04-14-2003, 03:21 PM
That's also a little bit of an out-of-date explanation...you can do some of that mace-swinging with animated combos now, to make the boss move even when the player doesn't, and use less Dmap space for your bosses.

TheGeepster
04-15-2003, 06:09 PM
The biggest use of side screen I've yet to see is represented by the passage and item rooms in dungeons. Hidden Duality has one optional dungeon that used that almost exclusively. A fancier version of side view would be difficult to achieve, and probably buggy, although it may be possible to put in little embellishments with the right combos and such.

maxifrost
04-19-2003, 04:55 PM
I know I tried to make a mario game on zquest making half the sky "convey down" combos and the rest solid. It didn't work very well, especially since the enemies didn't stay in my enemy flag boundries in that game. I only got to the first koopa dungeon before quitting.