PDA

View Full Version : Do we REALLY care about our troops?

AlexMax
04-11-2003, 03:14 PM
For such honorable men who do so much for us, they sure don't get paid a lot.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ucru/20030410/cm_ucru/we_re_looking_for_a_few_poor_men

Let's see. Less wage than a Burger King burger flipper. Medical care from the VA which just got a multi-billion dollar budget cut...shrinking benefits, even soldiers being denied the oppertunity to re-enlist...

It is unfortuniate that the author of this story is clearly liberal, becuase he makes several good points, and I'm afraid some people will just pass this article off as 'liberal' trash without giving it the time of day.

And dont get me wrong, I love our servicemen as much as the next guy, but dont you think it's about time they get paid more?

Jedi{M}aster
04-11-2003, 03:25 PM
And teachers. But you know that's not going to happen.

AlexMax
04-11-2003, 06:06 PM
Yeah, the top 1% of our population DOES need a new Lexus after all.

Beldaran
04-11-2003, 06:13 PM
I think the article raises some excellent points, and I think the replubicans have been playing some shady games while I wasn't looking.:mad:

However, it should be noted that the Clinton Administration wreaked havoc on the military far worse than anything done by any republican president.

fatcatfan
04-11-2003, 06:26 PM
One thing they don't consider there are the various "fringe benefits" of the life of a soldier. Yes, you might only make $13000. But you generally don't pay for your meals, and a host of other expenses normal people face, soldiers receive for free. I wouldn't dare say they aren't worth more, but just trying to give a bit more perspective. Also, note that this guy is a *private*, the lowest rank.

EDIT
oh sorry, they do mention benefits in passing... but only barely.

Beldaran
04-11-2003, 06:35 PM
Also, they make fun of GW as a draft dodger, but at least he wasn't hiding in Communist Russia (the country that was funding the killing of american soldiers) at the height of Vietnam, unlike Clinton.

AlexMax
04-11-2003, 06:57 PM
Two wrongs don't make a right.

TheGeepster
04-11-2003, 07:29 PM
From what I understand, the benfits of being a soldier are quite substantial, although it doesn't resolve an issue of reservists who have to leave their positions for a whole. The sudden drop in income does often present difficulties for the families of the soldier.

It is admirable that the companies that many of them work for have gone above the legal responsibility of merely keeping their job ready fro them when they get back, and actually pay them or their families the difference in wages.

There are some good points in this article, Alex, although it is smothered in liberal bias. Ask yourself who closed down the vast majority of those bases and laid off military personnel.. (Hint: think years 1992-2000)

mikeron
04-11-2003, 11:22 PM
Do you honestly expect a soldier's life to be as good as a doctor's? Someone should write an article on the Russian equivalent of a private.

carrot red
04-11-2003, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by mikeron
Do you honestly expect a soldier's life to be as good as a doctor's?
Not as good as that of a doctor, but one could hope for an improvement. Yes, it's about time they get paid more. Infortunately, recognition comes with how much you earn at the end of the day.

Mander
04-12-2003, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by mikeron
Do you honestly expect a soldier's life to be as good as a doctor's? Someone should write an article on the Russian equivalent of a private.

No their life should be better. After all they are the ones dying for their country.

Ich
04-12-2003, 08:44 AM
Or on the Iraqi equivalent of Private in the Republican Guard. Ted Rall is a very liberal political cartoonist, and he even said,

"To add insult to injury, even job security is now part of military history. Congress has closed 97 bases since 1988, leading to de facto layoffs, with some soldiers denied an option to reenlist."

I don't think Bush Sr. did that after or right before Desert Storm.

fatcatfan
04-12-2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Beldaran
Also, they make fun of GW as a draft dodger, but at least he wasn't hiding in Communist Russia (the country that was funding the killing of american soldiers) at the height of Vietnam, unlike Clinton.

Nor has Bush *lied* about draft dodging when confronted with it.

MottZilla
04-12-2003, 04:28 PM
You should all realize our troops while yes they aren't paid much, they are fed, sheltered, and taken care of. In the Army you don't have to pay water bills, electric bills, phone bills, etc.

They aren't getting royally shafted. And they volunteered, so they payment didn't bother them enough that they'd rather not be there now did it? Also they give you money for college and such.

So most of their "payment" isn't in cash really.

Edit: I didn't read the whole topic. FCF mentioned what I was gonna point out anyway. :O