PDA

View Full Version : "Issue general forgiveness"

fatcatfan
04-09-2003, 06:58 PM
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=oddlyEnoughNews&storyID=2534915

let's hope that covers these nuns (http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=oddlyEnoughNews&storyID=2536197).

sagelink
04-09-2003, 07:14 PM
hmm.... that article was... interesting.

System Error
04-09-2003, 07:30 PM
Umm...no comment. >_<

TheGeepster
04-09-2003, 09:51 PM
How funny would it have been if those bombs had gone off?

But you know, since it was an effort to stop this "unjust war" as stated by the pope, I'm sure they would have been forgiven anyways.

I'm sure there are plenty of godly, decent Roman Catholics out there, but there's just something about the Roman Catholic religion in general that I do not like. It strikes me as being a sort of Christian form of Phariseeism.

carrot red
04-10-2003, 03:23 AM
"Nuns on the Run" would make a great movie title.
What happened to the early Christians that weren't afraid to tend the leprous?

Geepa, where did you see bombs?

TheGeepster
04-10-2003, 04:08 AM
The bombs... errr, I was referring to the car, yeah.. that's it...

My bad, carrot red. For some odd reason, I had assumed the article referred to some nuns I heard about, arrested for trying to sabotage some missiles/bombs in the name of peace.

Baka, baka, baka! (I can flame myself, right?)

Who knows? Since nobody apparently got hurt, perhaps forgiveness will be a small issue. (The second article was about a hit-and-run).

Breaker
04-10-2003, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by TheGeepster

Who knows? Since nobody apparently got hurt, perhaps forgiveness will be a small issue. (The second article was about a hit-and-run).

Oh yes, that sounds like a brilliant idea. Why not just make it not illegal to leave a scene of an accident if the suspect suspects no one was injured as well?

firebug
04-10-2003, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Breaker

Oh yes, that sounds like a brilliant idea. Why not just make it not illegal to leave a scene of an accident if the suspect suspects no one was injured as well?

catholic forgiveness, not legal forgiveness breaker.

Verbatim
04-11-2003, 04:15 PM
lol....Well, if you read those articles carefully, you'll see that the general forgiveness only applies to people in one particular archdiosis (sp?) in Asia, who both go to church, and plan to confess their sins to a preist as soon as regular confessions are resumed (and do, if they live that long). As far as the "according to the bible" part...I expect a Catholic theologian would say it's not the bible, but Catholic tradition, which allows such mass-absolution, but only in extreme circumstances.

And it certainly doesn't apply to the case of those nuns in Italy. Weird story though, nuns fleeing from the scene of an accident...

TheGeepster
04-11-2003, 08:05 PM
Excellent point Verbatim. Mass forgiveness is still a concept that I am wholly uncomfortable with. Confession to a member of the laity(sp?) is perfectly acceptable, but I would point out that scriptures strongly indicate that it is God alone who can forgive sin. This was one of the major issues the Pharisees and gang had with Jesus.

And so Jesus asked which was easier? To forgive sin or perform a healing miracle? And then he promptly healed one man who had received forgiveness.

Rijuhn
04-11-2003, 10:49 PM
The Catholic church is the shinning example of why so many Christians turn away from religion, because of these obvious man-made traditions that are forced upon all who participate. That's why I stopped going to one my churchs, because it wasn't filled with Christians, or people willing to follow what Christ taught.

carrot red
04-11-2003, 11:22 PM
Man-made traditions are not what religion is all about. And the matter of forgiveness is a firm Christian belief as in "turn the other cheek". (Of course I'm not talking about mass forgiveness here.)

Freedom
04-11-2003, 11:55 PM
words of wisdom....

God gave man truth.

Satan said; "I'll organize it for you and call it religion"

Rijuhn
04-12-2003, 12:03 AM
So true Freedom. There is this guy that I know in real life, that just in fact instant messaged me today on AIM. He's always telling people to come to his youth group, but the sad fact is that every church I've been to isn't filled with Christians. My sister when to his church youth group which is lead by a black evangalist that is the typical evagalist that yells "Thank ya Jesus!" randomly in his speechs. He almost got my sister crying because he got really close to her and asked her all of these personal questions and made he feel really uncomfortable. My sister hasn't gone back there since.

Maybe a few people in the churchs really follow the Bible, but I've yet to met any of them. I feel it's better for me to find God on my own, and then go back to church to see if I can find a church that truely follows the teachings of Christ.

TheGeepster
04-12-2003, 03:03 PM
I agree with you, Rijuhn, that probably the majority of Christians in church, and even churches collectively may be so only in name.

I would, however, urge you to pray for, and seek a good godly church, with a large number of caring and genuine people of faith. If you can find that, as I have, then you'll find people who can help your own studies, and with any problems you might have to face in your own life. All I can say is that there are churches out there like that. I'm a member of one of them.

I don't know the details of your sister and this black evangelist, but I do know that someone must earn the trust of a person before they can ever hope to tackle any personal issues in their life. And trust is a hard thing to earn, and a brittle thing once earned. Insomuch as this evangelist violated this principle, I support your sister in this.

I would submit, though, that sometimes we are uncomfortable because we are aware of our own shortcomings and need for change, myself included. It doesn't sound like this was the case with your sister.

You hit upon a truth there Freedom. I do believe Satan is fond of setting up 'religions' while removing from it the vital living component. And if a religion be only a religion, and not a vital, living faith, then it is of no value.