PDA

View Full Version : Would you get it?

Blonde799
04-05-2003, 11:01 AM
Despite all the speculation, the Phantom isn't an apparition. I wanted to know if anyone would actually buy this? I personally wouldn't, as it'd be an ordinary console for me. It's features aren't too beneficial for me, as I already have the accessability it offers.:shrug:

Aliem
04-05-2003, 03:52 PM
Ummm... What's the Phantom...? I have heard nothing about it.

Beldaran
04-05-2003, 04:30 PM
I'd buy one if I had the money. I think it would be cool to have, if only for the novelty. Who knows, maybe some cool games will appear for it.

gdorf
04-05-2003, 04:58 PM
I just checked google and found this (http://www.infiniumlabs.com/PR/Infinium%20Labs%20Press%20Annoucment%204.0.htm). It sounds interesting, but I'd like to see some more specs, and I'd really like to see the price tag (I'm guessing at least $500+, probably much more).

firebug
04-06-2003, 10:39 AM
hmmm.. it looks really kewl.. i've often thought about a cartridge/Disc-less console and i think this could really make it! now if they don't make the same mistake phillips made with the CD-i....
now who's going to make a console that plays PC games?? i still think the X-Box should be able to, and i want to kick bill gates in the head for not allowing it! :mad:

SiliconHero
04-06-2003, 10:54 AM
Probably, but not for $500. When it comes down to about half that price, I'd consider it.

AtmaWeapon
04-06-2003, 10:57 AM
Here's my problem. Once the company that runs the phantom goes out of business, you're got yourself something even more useless than the Bandai Satelliview... Where would you download the games from?

It's a great idea for a console, don't get me wrong, but 90% of the gamers I know don't have broadband in their house. Sure, broadband is a growing market, but unless Infinium is willing to put a DSL modem in their system, it would be useless to me.

Also, this worries me:

We will be working with developers to develop a licensing model to distribute all of these titles electronically to our customer's

The ability to Pay Per Play or Rent a game

First, the site's creator is among the numerous morons on the internet that didn't pay attention between 4th and 12th grade and think 's is for making plurals. Second, I don't like the sound of "Pay Per Play". Think about it. XBOX Live is a monthly fee, plus whatever fee the game maker decides to charge (if there is a charge). Running servers for games takes money. The reason I don't play games like Everquest is I DO NOT believe that after I've paid $50 for a game I should have to pay any more. Why not make it a free download, THEN charge you for server time? This system, if even released, will be similar, I'm afraid.

Few video game companies are about the games anymore. The money is what matters to them, and this will provide a new way for them to rip people off.

tgf_guy
04-06-2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by AtmaWeapon
Why not make it a free download, THEN charge you for server time?

Simple: Games cost enormous amounts of money to create. The price tag on most current games runs up at several million dollars.

The monthly fee is simply to pay for the servers in which you play on in the game. Hardly any of it actually goes back into the company, and the stuff that does goes straight into development. The box cost is to pay all of the developers for their hard work.

In a perfect world, all games would be free. I wish I lived in that world. :(

Fiyerstorm
04-06-2003, 04:01 PM
Anarchy Online's software is free but you gotta pay to play it.

Anyway, this Phantom thing sounds dumb and if it can do cross platform things, it'll be shut down......

Blonde799
04-06-2003, 04:10 PM
This is why everyone should get G4.;)

Someone from Infinium Labs was kind enough to lend info on it during the show, G4tv.com. Unfortunately, I didn't catch the whole interview, but what I did catch was pretty interesting.

.....Individual game sales.

firebug
04-06-2003, 05:51 PM
i agree completely atma.. after extensive thought on the subject, i've decided that this 'phantom' is basically a tuned-down PC. not a bad idea, but ultimately flawed. it's the same thing as the original CD- based consoles/console add-ons. how many of you still own a sega saturn or sega CD? and the CD-i.. they knew CD-platform was going to be big, but they thought they could capitalise on it. infinium labs is doing the same. why not have the console plug directly into the internet connection you already have, and add a cd/dvd drive with upload capabilities on it? if it was basically a PC, it would leave all the game downloading/uploading to the consumer... think about it. how nice would it be to upload all those emus and oldschool games we all have hidden somewhere on our harddrives to a console.. to once again relish the feel of playing SMB1 or even contra? damn.. that would be nice. of course, it would also be illegal... but as long as they threw a disclaimer somewhere in there, it'd be all good. oh well *sigh* it'll never happen. too many companies would get in an uprise.. and the phantom probably won't support anything but what they want it to. bah. it'll flop.. hard. but the idea is great. i feel this is the future of gaming, sooner or later companies will make one copy of a game, and then upload it to the net to be downloaded at the same prices they sell cd games. this will drastically reduce the cost of manufacturing, and in turn, put even *more* money into the pockets of these people. :shrug: i'll just wait till sony or nintendo make a CD-less console.

Thunderbird
04-07-2003, 12:15 AM
I have absolutely no interest in the Phantom console. Personally I think it would be better off for it to remain on the drawing board.

Demimore
04-07-2003, 07:07 AM
No way. Isn't that the console with downloadable games only? Nope. I would never get it. I don't even want a PS2/GCN/XBOX. They are not interesting in any way. I'll just wait 'til the next VG generation. Maybe the next consoles will be something of interest....

I am still playing around with my Genesis. Followed by my PC. Man, the Genesis is a masterpiece! :)