PDA

View Full Version : How do you make quests?

jman2050
04-04-2003, 10:48 PM
The other day, I pondered over why people seemed to be pumping out decent quests quickly and easily while I'm enduring every hardship imaginable just to achieve half my desired results. After some thinking, i came up with two reasons:

1) My expectations are evidently a lot higher than many other quest makers out there.

2) i have a tendency to do most fo the stuff myself.

Thus, the poll question: Do you like having ZQuest anchor you through the quest making process, you know, doing automatic doors, using floor templates, having a complete graphics pack with combos, palettes an everything ready at your disposal while you add little bits and pieces to it, or do you enjoy perhaps taking a graphics pack you like, and editing the crap out of it, setting your own combos, ripping everything under the sun, manually placing all your doors on Cave Dmaps to prevent the problems inherent in dungeon dmaps, making your own sprites, palettes, setting up triggers manually, all that good stuff. of course, i doubt anyone here is completely for one side or the other, but which one do you lean towards?

Nick
04-04-2003, 11:30 PM
I lean more towards customization and perfectionism of everything (as far as individual screens). I start out with an anchored tileset, but I add so many tiles and palattes that it's nothing like the normal set when it's finished. I also set up custom door sets if needed and edit exsisting door sets to make full use of them. I do whatever is required to get my ideas into play.

I dunno which to actually vote for in the poll, though. :shrug:

jman2050
04-04-2003, 11:32 PM
yeah, I had a little trouble expressing what I was trying to say. What I mean is that many evidently use what is given to them, and craft a quest with it. Others take what they have and customize it to the point of ambiguity, making everything to their liking. I guess that's what i'm trying to say here.

Jigglysaint
04-05-2003, 12:02 AM
Being graphically impared, I tendo to rely on a graphics pack, but the problem is that much is missing from all graphics packs, so I have to rip and rip, because I can't create the tiles I need.

Dr. Mutagen
04-05-2003, 12:34 AM
I never did any tile ripping, so I have no idea how to do it. Therefore I like to do things the old-fashioned way.

Questwizard88
04-05-2003, 12:44 AM
i do so much ripping and recoloring, i have to go with the second option. i've always made severe modifications to every graphics pack i've used.

Petoe
04-05-2003, 03:34 AM
I try to make everything myself, from graphics to midis. So the 2nd option is closer than the 1st, but I try not to rip any tiles because I wan't to make my quest new and fresh with stuff that you folks haven't seen before.

Blonde799
04-05-2003, 07:30 AM
Aww, there's no "From Scratch" option? Shame on you, jman.;)

jman2050
04-05-2003, 03:18 PM
Well, I figured anyone who does everything from scratch doesn't have a life and certainly wouldn't be around these forums j/k :D .

Well, the second option never says you had to use an existing graphics pack, so that'd probably be the best option for all those nuts out there ;) .

Questwizard88
04-05-2003, 03:51 PM
actually, i'm making mine from scratch too, and ripping about 20% of the tiles, while the rest are hand drawn.

System Error
04-05-2003, 04:20 PM
I usually rely on graphic packs, but of course I still make my own graphics if needed. I do everything MY way on quests.

Petoe
04-05-2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by jman2050
Well, I figured anyone who does everything from scratch doesn't have a life and certainly wouldn't be around these forums j/k :D .

Well, the second option never says you had to use an existing graphics pack, so that'd probably be the best option for all those nuts out there ;) .

I'm not nuts :(
And I have a life...or do I? :eyebrow: Wait a minute...no I don't have. lol

jman2050
04-05-2003, 07:31 PM
Heh, no offense of course. I'm just saying that anyone who wants to make quests from scratch shouldn't be making ZC quests: they should be in the gaming industry right then and there. At least then they'd get payed for their nuttyness :D .

firebug
04-06-2003, 10:51 AM
i modify the graphics pack immensely... i've only completed two quests to date (both of which SUCK as they're mostly me just fiddling around with zquest and testing out ideas before i implement them into my main project) but so far i've modified almost everything :shrug:

DarkFlameWolf
04-06-2003, 12:08 PM
Anchored with graphics patch with some modifications. However, my next quest is planned to be completely new in everyway concerning graphics.

Teilyr
04-06-2003, 01:36 PM
Kind of a combination of both.. I start with a set, then I modify it to my needs.

Auto doors when it's called for, never a floor template.

Demimore
04-07-2003, 04:07 AM
I hate to use the ordinary tilesets. I ALWAYS make my own tilesets for all of my quests. Except LiL2. But that quest sucks.

Teilyr
04-07-2003, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Demimore
I ALWAYS make my own tilesets for all of my quests. TLD uses Pure, Demi. :p

ShadowTiger
04-07-2003, 10:34 AM
He said some, Teilyr. :) Or at least to me. :shrug: His quests are great nevertheless. Trust me. ;)

And now a little something quoted from Nick the wise...

I lean more towards customization and perfectionism of everything (as far as individual screens). I start out with an anchored tileset, but I add so many tiles and palattes that it's nothing like the normal set when it's finished. I also set up custom door sets if needed and edit exsisting door sets to make full use of them. I do whatever is required to get my ideas into play. I agree. :) I started with the Original ML tileset, but it got so horribly twisted and warped, (In a good way.) that it no longer looks like anything. It's not that efficient at the moment, but it's got............. everything. :odd: I keep ripping and drawing, ripping and recoloring, fixing and drawing, drawing and drawing, drawing and recoloring, fixing and drawing, and stuff like that, over and over again, that It's hard to tell what's for the quest, and what's just for fun. :disgust:

It's great fun though. :)

I still wouldn't dare start from scratch, because it often ends up corrupting the quest file. :rolleyes: So that's why you haven't seen anything from me. It's all in the FoW file, and I can't get that to anyone because it doesn't fit on a hard disk.

Demimore
04-07-2003, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Teilyr
TLD uses Pure, Demi. :p

Well.... Yes.... I suppose you're right.... But I always BASE my quests of something. Then I change it. TLD does no longer look much like Pure. You'll see.... vvvvvvv THIS FALL vvvvvvvv