PDA

View Full Version : Stroke of bad luck, I swear.

Blonde799
04-03-2003, 02:17 PM
Well, my pop-up ad problem is mysteriously gone. Now, my Compaq monitor is being a total bitch.

It stretches out the monitor image beyond the borders, so scrolling left/right won't fix most viewing problems. with this problem, browsing most forums and using ZC is almost impossible.

Need help once again. I thought I'd ask you guys before I resorted to people that know less about monitors(tech support:p).

DarkPanther
04-03-2003, 02:21 PM
You can't adjust the horizontal size?...

You should get a new monitor anyways. :blah:

Blonde799
04-03-2003, 02:27 PM
No, I can't. The thing is, the image is stretched beyond screen editing, so even if I edit the screen size, it won't look pretty, and it'll still be unviewable.

Ever get a fruit roll up and stretch it until it was near breaking? Put that on a 17" screen, and it looks just like that.

DarkPanther
04-03-2003, 02:30 PM
So even if you pinch the screen as far in on the sides as possible, it still doesn't matter is what you're saying right?

...Really the only thing you can do is get it serviced. There's some screw dealies in the back if you open it up that are the master controls for that, but man, you screw w/that too much and there's no coming back from it.

moocow
04-03-2003, 02:34 PM
If you do what DP is sayin, I'd take it somewhere where someone knows what they're doing. If not, trash it and get something new.

If it makes you feel any better... our two month old monitor will shut off right when you're in the middle of doing something. It says "Power saving, shutting off now..." then shuts off.

Blonde799
04-03-2003, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by DarkPanther
So even if you pinch the screen as far in on the sides as possible, it still doesn't matter is what you're saying right?

Exactly.:) Great, now I have to play with my monitor to get it to work right. I'm calling this chapter in my book "Monitor Masturbation". That sounds about right.:laughing:

DarkPanther
04-03-2003, 02:38 PM
Don't say I didn't warn you... :tongue:

Blonde799
04-03-2003, 02:41 PM
I can't afford another one, and crap support may say the same thing, so if anyone else doesn't have other solutions, then I'm out of options.:( Damn technology.:p

Teilyr
04-03-2003, 02:45 PM
This may sound rediculous, but make sure that your monitor cable is secure to your video card. Sometime the stuff on the screen will go screwy if it's loose.

carrot red
04-03-2003, 03:16 PM
Here's something really ridiculous, but if it's a 17" and you choose a higher resolution, isn't the screen supposed to shrink?

Blonde799
04-03-2003, 03:23 PM
Yes it shrinks, and it hurts my eyes like dialation fluid.

Beldaran
04-03-2003, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Blonde799
Compaq

Therein lies the problem, my friend.:laughing:

Ich
04-03-2003, 10:50 PM
As much as I dislike Compaq's, I don't think they can be blamed for all the problems they have. Chances are he is running Windows, and that can be a source for many of their problems. Not his though.

Rijuhn
04-03-2003, 11:20 PM
Ever since I updated the drivers for my GeForce 2 MMX video card I can't have my monitor resolution at 12xx X 1024, 640 x 480, and a few other in-between resolutions without the screen being stretched off the screen. Even if I try to shrink the screen and everything it's still too distorted.

All I can suggest is to mess around with your screen resolutions, and if that does nothing then reinstall your graphic drivers.

Blonde799
04-04-2003, 04:05 AM
Originally posted by Beldaran
Therein lies the problem, my friend.:laughing:
Eh, never would've thunk it.:thumbsup:

Well, I called tech support today. First time, got a person I couldn't understand(I think I recognized the word please, but meh). Second time, I got a very nice chick named Dorothy. Problem was, she was almost incoherent as well, but I could understand her somewhat. I got redirected to a whole bunch of other options, then I went through it all again, only to find out that instead of pressing [insert right number here], they told me yet another number.

I called this one, and got an american who was easy to understand(he spoke perfect english:)). So, I told him my situation, and he garbled about getting crap on my monitor updated, which obviously costs money. After I had a rage and drank some punch, I ordered a system restore disk.:)

After that, my computer wouldn't go to Windows unless I replaced my keyboard, or re-connected it.:rolleyes: After re-connecting for an hour or so, it went back to normal, minus the normal screen. Stress is like a dietary supplement. I have to take it everyday.

ShadowTiger
04-04-2003, 09:24 AM
Now... I'm really not sure if this applies here, but is the problem that you can't reach the button to make it normal size, or the monitor just won't be obedient to the buttons. (BH4 No understand in mornings.) I once fixed a computer that was waay oversized, because they couldn't reach the "apply" or "Ok" button to set it back to a lower size, so I managed to bring it back to a lower size by highlighting the pull tab, pressing down a few times, then hitting tab a few times and then enter. It fixed their problem.

Now someone tell me that what I just said doesn't do anything for B's problem. :rolleyes: My other recommendation is just get it serviced. But anyone can say "get it serviced" like anyone can say "just get cable."