PDA

View Full Version : farore's wind and nayru's love...

firebug
04-03-2003, 11:59 AM
i know these aren't implemented yet, but i plan on putting them in my quest as non-item items. i was just wondering if they would start working if someone were to play my quest with a later build? (or would i have to update the quest?)

Cloral
04-03-2003, 02:56 PM
Yes. The functioning of the items is controlled completely by ZC, and has nothing to do with the version of the quest you're using. So I would recommend against using them in that way, unless you don't care if the player can use their effects.

firebug
04-03-2003, 05:12 PM
not at all. by the time they get the items, they will be well on their way to beating the quest, so it wouldn't really matter whether they had them or not :shrug: in fact, it would probably be a lil bit kewler. thanks for the info, cloral!

Verbatim
04-04-2003, 05:50 PM
It might have some unpredictable effects, though...if either of them need special tiles set up for their graphic effects (not just the items, but what you see in-game when you use them), you'd probably get some kind of graphical trash showing up when players used them...there'd be no combos set up for their effects in the quest file, so it'd probably use those odd combos used for setting up the key graphics, heart graphics, etc. that come right at the beginning. Not something that would look very good at all.

System Error
04-05-2003, 07:38 PM
I might use them as reward items for side quests... :shrug: But chances are, they'll be implemented before then.

firebug
04-05-2003, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Verbatim
It might have some unpredictable effects, though...if either of them need special tiles set up for their graphic effects (not just the items, but what you see in-game when you use them), you'd probably get some kind of graphical trash showing up when players used them...there'd be no combos set up for their effects in the quest file, so it'd probably use those odd combos used for setting up the key graphics, heart graphics, etc. that come right at the beginning. Not something that would look very good at all.
i'm almost positive you can set those graphics in zquest 182, they just won't do anything. (i could be wrong though, and im having trouble with zquest/ZC at the moment, so im not going to go look for fear of my comp freezing.)

Verbatim
04-07-2003, 02:27 PM
I took a look in Zquest on my computer...the situation is exactly what I thought it was.

The graphics for the items are there--that's what you pick up when you get the item, and see in the inventory--but there aren't any weapons/misc. graphics for either of them...so when in-game graphical effects are added for them, those won't have the tiles set up.

Try setting all the Din's Fire effects (the four items labeled "DF..." in the graphics->sprites->weapons/misc menu) to tile zero and then using Din's Fire, if you want to get an idea of what it might be like--those little hearts and xs flying everywhere...it'd be horrible.

firebug
04-10-2003, 04:58 PM
damn! you're right. now that puts a clincher in my quest-building.. are there any non-item items?? i need some that will go into the subscreen, but will do nothing... hrm...

idontknow
04-10-2003, 06:20 PM
why?...you could sacrifice the magic items & then have no magic available in your quest that way, you could select them & everything, but can't use them

Questwizard88
04-10-2003, 07:33 PM
what about the misc 1 and misc 2 items, or are those already being used??

Verbatim
04-11-2003, 01:38 PM
"Misc 1" and "Misc 2" don't show up on the subscreen. They're for "giving" the player something that doesn't really have an effect in the game. Since there are lots of ways of faking game-effects, they can be very useful...it makes me wish there were more than just two of them.

A few fake items that would sit in the subscreen might be useful too...but I expect that would have to wait for a subscreen editor.