PDA

View Full Version : You're going down, Gannon!

Jer1400
04-03-2003, 03:07 AM
I'm about to battle Gannon in The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker! I paused the game to eat, watch that 70's show, and talk to a few people online.... But when that's over I shall do away with evil!

Hmm...I must say, that game wasn't as bad as everyone said it was going to be. It was quite good actually. I'll admit it didn't retain that classic "Zelda" feel, but it was still a good game. Some of the best parts were when it referred back to past games and explained a few things. So if you plan to get it make sure to play all the older ones you can so as to make you go: "ohhh...so that's why blah, blah, blah....yeah, that makes sense!":)

Here are some things I didn't like about it:

1. It was too easy!

As you know, Zelda games have a rep. of being one of the more challenging games on the block, and I fear this one failed to live it up. The bosses often were from older games and the one's that weren't were just plain easy to beat. And puzzles were more time-consuming that puzzling.

2. You can see Link from a mile away!

Actually, you don't play as Link, but whatever. The outside environments were colorful and link fit in well with most of them, but in places like dungeons, some gradients and darker colors were, surprisingly, used often and it made me think.... Not that this took away from anything at all, though.

3. It didn't feel like Zelda...

The whole story really strayed from what most would expect and that's cool and all, but old gamers might be a bit disapointed that it didn't seem like the Zelda they've always known.:)

Good changes:

1. Enemies are stupid!

Yeah, enemies can now actually hurt eachother! It only makes sense, after all, that if you get hit with a axe you get hurt nomatter who swung it. I took advantage of the often, especially with those master knight guys. (All you have to do is hold L and R and make sure the Knight you've targetted stays between the other knights and they'll kill 'em for you!)

2. Link's eyes...

Link will always look at secrets and stuff. This was cool.

3. What a small world!

Hehe, the world isn't actually small at all. In fact, the entire overworld is one big map! This added to the realism and stuff.

4. New stuff!

Yes, there is new stuff! New gadgets, monsters, places, people, and other things.

There were many other things I could have talked about, but these are the basics, I suppose. Well, lemme know your own opinion on the game, please!:)

Beldaran
04-03-2003, 03:19 AM
You are so gannon-banned.

Axel
04-03-2003, 08:42 AM
is it true the entire overworld is spent on a boat?

Dark Nation
04-03-2003, 09:05 AM
No the entire overworld, but the world is an ocean with islands all over the place. Some large, some small. It explains why this is later in the game.

Ich
04-03-2003, 10:30 AM
Sounds interesting. But Ganon is spelled with only one n.

Jer1400
04-03-2003, 03:18 PM
>_< Sorry 'bout that.

There are 49 islands in the overworld. A few of them have communities on them. I don't know if I should tell you why the world is mostly water, but lemme know if you want to know.

I beat him! The ending of teh battle was awesome...literally. The only thing that would have made it better is if you were able to save the world and then continue play after you're the hero. I always wanted that to happen and when it did in the oracles I was pretty pleased. You do get a special game file to play, though. Kinda like after you beat both linked oracles.

Axel
04-04-2003, 08:34 AM
hmm... the boat and the graphics were the only problem I had with the demo. guess I'll grab it once the price drops...

DemoQuestFan
04-04-2003, 12:10 PM
The enemies being able to hurt and kill eachother sounds like it came from the Zelda cartoons.

Dr. Mutagen
04-05-2003, 12:27 AM
I have to agree that the final climax in Wind Waker kicks ass. Puppet Ganon was kind of a pain to beat, but Ganondorf wasn't too annoyingly hard. Basically what I liked about the climax is that there's a TON of dialogue involved. Now compare that to Majora's Mask, where the battle with Majora was simply three phases of battle with no dialogue at all. PAH!!

TheGeepster
04-05-2003, 03:11 AM
The final battle with Ganon was definitely well thought out, both plotwise and action-wise.

The Nintendo staff did a good job with this, especially considering the risk they took in changing so much that was taken for granted in other Zeldas. It all ended up playing like a brand-new series in many ways, but it wasn't wholly unfamilar territory because a good bit of what made Zelda fun was retained.

Kirbypuff
04-05-2003, 11:10 AM
The overworld on a boat thing gets annoying after a while (you just sail around for a while doing not very much to travel), but once you learn the teleporting song it gets better.

Jer1400
04-05-2003, 09:15 PM
Yeah, I remember after I got that travel was easy.

The ending was impressive compared to the other Zeldas. I think they really wanted to play out the story line like a movie. They did a good job of mixing in scenes with gameplay unlike other games... *cough* XenoGears *cough*

MANDRAG GANON
04-05-2003, 10:38 PM
Arahghagha! No please don't hurt me :cry:

Ganonator
04-06-2003, 07:18 AM
(obligatory weekly post)

Let me prepare my comment

-=SPOILER=-

definitely a great game, when you don't concentrate on the water.

Kirbypuff
04-06-2003, 11:12 AM
I loved the confused look on Link's face right before he fought Ganon.