PDA

View Full Version : like to make a contribution to my tutorial?..

idontknow
03-29-2003, 09:02 PM
would you like to make a contribution to my tutorial?...if you do and i use your info, i'll mention you in my credits & possibly my next quest also! i'll like to see anything you have to offer but here's what I'm looking for specifically:
-Techniques
-"HOW TOs"
-Pulling Off Illusions
-Events
-Cutscenes
-Custom Bosses
-Puzzles/Minigames
--If you have anything, anything at all, please post your contributions, strategies, methods, etc here and I will most likely post them in my tutorial under my "Zquesters' Contributions" section...thanks a ton!!! (mods, any chance you could freeze this?;))

EDIT: here's the link to my tutorial: IDONTKNOWs Zquest Tutorial (http://www.geocities.com/idontknowtutorial/contents.html?1048292445858)

System Error
03-30-2003, 01:00 AM
_______
EVENTS
_______
Making events is a simple matter of setting up boss flags, killallenemies, secret combos and trigger flags properly.

Say you have a desert town, where the Oasis has dried up. The warrior of the village has gone to investigate the cause, so his house is locked. Make his screen on a dmap separate from the rest of the town, and place the secret combo on the door of the house to be a door. Now, put a trigger enemy on the screen and check the flags "Dungeon Boss" and "No secret sounds" (if you don't check the latter, the secret sound plays when you arrive after the event). You should also do this to the Oasis screen, make the dried-up Oasis into water.

Now, after that, you have a part where you head into a desert. You eventually come to a secret pyramid in a sandstorm. You enter the pyramid. After venturing through it, you have to fight the boss.

After the fight, you make a cutscene where you find the wounded warrior. Make sure it shares the same DMap as the Warrior's House's entrance. At a certain point in the scene (preferably the end of it), you should make it so a killallenemies item (make sure the graphics for them are set to be blank) and have it appear on the location where the character is. Check the Dungeon Boss flag, and place a Trigger enemy. This will also kill the trigger enemy on the screen with the warriors house and oasis...PERMANENTLY, thus causing the secret flags there to be enabled thus causing the Oasis to fill and the Warrior's house to be open. Done deal.

firebug
03-30-2003, 02:06 AM
ooh! that's really kewl. i think im going to use this in my quest! :D

idontknow
03-30-2003, 12:08 PM
All right system, i add this to my tutorial..click on the link..then at the main table of contents, click more...then click Zquesters' contributions to see it if ya want...thanks a lot for your contribution!!!

System Error
03-30-2003, 08:17 PM
Great! Oh yeah, just change "Level #" in the last paragraph to "DMap."

idontknow
03-31-2003, 04:27 PM
been there, done that...hehe, yeah, i actually did notice that myself & changed it already...

Blonde799
03-31-2003, 08:09 PM
Why don't you try shortcut editing and key functions IDK. There are a few functions in ZQ that'll save some time. First of all, we have the "Overlap" function.

-Select which tile you want to overlap other tiles and copy it.
-Now select the tile you want to be overlapped by the copied tile, then press "O". Transparent parts of a tile apply.

Jigglysaint
03-31-2003, 08:46 PM
Ah forget it! I'm not going to bother with the whole "but the event technique was MINE" thing. Then again, I can do events in version 1.84 so :blah:

idontknow
03-31-2003, 08:51 PM
hmm..thats good..plus we have...
1. Set Fill
2. Draw Blocks
3. Replace
4. Keystrokes
5. more...?

hey what does 'set fill' do & whats the differences between Flood, Fill (4 way), Fill (8 way) Fill 2 (4 way) & Fill 2 (8 way)?

Questwizard88
03-31-2003, 09:02 PM
it sets the fill type. you press control and click to use the type you have selected.. flood fills the whole screen. fill 4 way fills all combos of the same type that touchj each other in the basic 4 directions. 8 way also goes diagonally. fill2's are the same, but they change all combos of that type on the screen.

idontknow
03-31-2003, 09:06 PM
oooh! thanx! very helpful!!! anymore special functions people should know about?