PDA

View Full Version : CDR Question

Cronic
03-27-2003, 03:19 PM
What's the deal with these things? I have some that I've burned that won't open, and some that will open, but only on certain PCs...

Any idea?

The Savior
03-27-2003, 06:03 PM
Lower quality CD burners and/or CDRs could be the problem. Try using better CDRs and burning at a lower speed.

stormwatcheagle
03-27-2003, 06:21 PM
Dod you fanalize the burn and close the CD? If the CD is still open, on another CD R/RW drive could open it.

sagelink
03-27-2003, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by stormwatcheagle
Dod you fanalize the burn and close the CD? If the CD is still open, on another CD R/RW drive could open it.

If its a CD-R, even if he didn't finalize it, it shouldnt be able to have a multi-session. Anyways, what kind of CD-R/CD-RW are you using?

MottZilla
03-27-2003, 06:33 PM
This kind of thing happens. The lower thespeed you write the CD with, with the better quality writer, will yeild better results, than if you burn at a high speed with not so good of a writer. But, this isn't the only factor.

Certain brands of CDRs are better quality than others, and work better with certain writers.

In the end it's probably best if a CD is pressed, but then again I don't think many people are up for going and forking out a ton of money for a CD press. :O

Anyway, try a different brand of CDR. Verbatim is good.

greedo
03-27-2003, 06:35 PM
if you have other applications open while burning itll screw the burning process up. you probably already knew it, but it ws worth a shot

stormwatcheagle
03-27-2003, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by sagelink

If its a CD-R, even if he didn't finalize it, it shouldnt be able to have a multi-session. Anyways, what kind of CD-R/CD-RW are you using? My CD burning engine can multi session CD-R's...

sagelink
03-27-2003, 06:45 PM
Hmm thats odd. I have Nero 5 and PleXwriter 48/24/48A and it still cant multi-session CD-R's.... maybe you mean CD-RW's?

MottZilla
03-27-2003, 06:47 PM
Multi-sessioning a CD is possible if when you first burned the CD you instructed it to make it multi and did not finalize it.

I thing you are confusing yourself with CD-RW's ability to erase.

CDRs can have data added to them if they are multi session. CDRWs can too, but they can also be erased by a CDRW drive which uses a different power on the laser to return the CDRW to a crystaline state, ready to be written to again.

sagelink
03-27-2003, 06:50 PM
Thats odd. I dindnt know you could ADD more to a cdr. But then again i've never tried it.

And yes i know what cd-rw's do, no im not confusing myself. Maybe I missed something....:confuse2:

Fiyerstorm
03-27-2003, 07:00 PM
I can multisession CD-Rs...on Adaptec Easy CD Creator 4...

I never knew that the CDs have better quality if you burn them slower...Thanks for the info! >)

/me stares at the 100pk of CDs he got...

Cronic
03-27-2003, 07:28 PM
Well I'm using memorex CDr's...

So is there any chane that a CD writer somewhere out there will be able to open these puppies someday?

sagelink
03-27-2003, 07:31 PM
Like some of the guys said, try a slower write speed. Also, dont go for the cheap CDR brand. All writers should be able to open it.

Cronic
03-27-2003, 07:33 PM
Well unfortunatly what's done is done, and I left the session open so that only a writer could open it...

I have over 25 gigs of stuff I'd really like back =(