PDA

View Full Version : Origins

Foxy
03-26-2003, 04:12 PM
I've been wondering lately:

What's the origin of the word "w00t"? Where did it come from? I figure since I use the word so often, I should know these things. :tongue:

Anyone else have a question about where something originated from? This is the thread to post it in! Let's learn something new today, shall we? :grad: ;)

VashdeStampedo!
03-26-2003, 05:18 PM
It's fro whoot, whch is an expression kinda like hooray or yippee. But it's in l337. I think i's obvious why they chose that one.

ShadowTiger
03-26-2003, 05:21 PM
And what exactly is this.... 1337? :odd: I've heard it before, heck, even in a quest before. What IS that word? :eyebrow:

:D

Beldaran
03-26-2003, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Britannianhero4
And what exactly is this.... 1337? :odd: I've heard it before, heck, even in a quest before. What IS that word? :eyebrow:

:D

1337 comes from the slang expression "Leet" which is derived from the word "elite" which means especially skillful and unique.

As far as "w00t" goes, I think it is just the result of some internet junkie's attempt to further scar the english language with nonsensical and mispelled words that convey a silly emotion that hardly anyone is actually feeling when they type the word.

Like "lol". Have you ever caught yourself typing "lol" when you are really just sitting there with a bored expression on your face?

carrot red
03-26-2003, 06:06 PM
It's l337 or L337 and it has it's own alphabet light and hardcore.

Paradox
03-26-2003, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Beldaran

Like "lol". Have you ever caught yourself typing "lol" when you are really just sitting there with a bored expression on your face?
i always type lol when something is mildly funny but i don't laugh or smile. when i think it's pretty good i'll say LOL or rofl, and when its one of the most hilarious things i've seen in a while, i'll say ROTFLMFAO.

Ich
03-26-2003, 06:18 PM
I've found a couple of sites with H@X0|2 translators, that will put anything you type into "1337 5Þ34|<" That's when I get really creative and use ASCII Characters etc. | Ö \v/ /\/ j 0 0 !

Mercy
03-26-2003, 07:02 PM
Slang for the transient verb 'wit' meaning to know, learn, accomplish and commonly used as an exclamation of accomplishment or success (see similar: 'hoot'). The earliest published usage still in circulation I am aware of was by Chaucer in Canterbury Tales although I know it was also used in some early religious writings that should still be available.

The alpha-numeric version with or without alternating cap's is, as has already been posted, a bastardization popularized by the online computer community extending back as least as far as the BBS days.

Yeah, I am a nerd.

m.

J.J. Maxx
03-26-2003, 11:52 PM
I think the stupidest term is pwned. What does that mean anyways? Its a sad day when a random mistype becomes a fad.

ShadowTiger
03-26-2003, 11:59 PM
You know... I really don't know. :sweat:

:rolleyes: Heh. Terms.

I was introduced to the wide world of AIM only about 3 months ago (Which was about 12/--/02.) and I kept hearing lol over and over again. Yes, I knew what it meant, and yes, I knew that the other person on the other side of world or wherever thought the statement was humorous. But I kept hearing it! :eek: I kept thinking, yes, lol, I agree. lol. Let's ALL lol. :D

lol. boy. :rolleyes: I just say "heh" and get on with it. :shrug: