PDA

View Full Version : Massachusetts & Lawsuit Abuse

TheGeepster
03-26-2003, 08:26 AM
There were 3 statements from within "The Liberties of the Massachusetts Colony in New England" 1641 which if put in place might help to curb this society's litigious cravings.

26) Every man that finds himself unfit to plead his own case in any Court shall have the Liberty to employ any man, against whom the Court does not except, to help him; provided he give him no fee or reward for his pains. This shall not exempt the party himself from answering such questions in person as the Court shall think proper to demand of him.

No paid lawyers would definitely do it.

34) If any man shall be proved and judged a common Barrator, vexing others with unjust, frequent, and endless suits; it shall be in the power of Courts both to deny him the benefit of the law and to punish him for his Barratry.

The original frivolous lawsuit clause. Barratry refers to frequent and frivolous lawsuits, and a Barrator is one who files them.

37) In all cases where it appears to the Court that the Plaintiff has willingly and wittingly done wrong to the Defendant in commencing and prosecuting an action or complaint against [the Defendant], [the Court] shall have power to impose upon [the Plaintiff] a proportional fine to the use of the Defendant or accused person for [the Plaintiff's] false complaint and clamor.

More frivolous lawsuit punishment for the malevalent of the sue-happy.

carrot red
03-26-2003, 09:08 AM
I don't know about lawsuit abuses in Massachusets, but here, they're a dime a dozen. The more crazy they are and the more you get.

TheGeepster
03-26-2003, 10:11 AM
Well, the Massachusetts part refers to the historical document from which I grabbed the liberties of the Court that were designed to prevent it. Plus it's just plain catchier to include a state name in a thread title.

I thought this might be an interesting change of pace.

carrot red
03-26-2003, 10:16 AM
I know that and I know it's a historical document. I have one of those numerous lawyers you find in hell in my family.;)