PDA

View Full Version : music problems / preferences with windows version

xorxif
03-26-2003, 05:56 AM
Hi

zelda-w.exe build 182 and 183 have the following problems:

1.Music will not play if the default midi mapper is set to the AWE MIDI SYNTH chipset midi bank, but WILL play if it set to the basic MIDI FOR CREATIVE STEREO MUSIC SYNTHESIZER (the fm synth that sounds like NES music...)

2. After starting the windows version, the flaming Armageddon Games logo sounds like the wave sounds are turned ALL THE WAY UP, ignoring any previous setting for sound fx volume until AFTER the Armageddon Games logo has been displayed

My sound card is a Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA model.

zelda.exe build 182 (DOS version) DOES play thru the AWE chipset properly.

Reasons why I want to use the windows version:
1. Latest beta (183) is not available in DOS version
2. Windows version correctly detects and maps buttons on my Microsoft Sidewinder Gamepad (specifically, my L and R triggers)

Thanx for reading!:reading:

- xorxif

Verbatim
03-26-2003, 01:21 PM
Supposedly, you shouldn't have to pick what midi device ZC uses anymore for the Windows version...it should do a good job of setting up the sound if you delelte ag.cfg and run Zquest-w 182. You can use "Lost Woods" from the etc. menu to test it out.

If that doesn't work...have you tried MPU-401? I'm pretty sure it's the best choice for midi from the ones that you can choose in AGsetup.

xorxif
03-27-2003, 03:16 AM
Thanx for the tip Verbatim :D

Deleting the ag.cfg file created originally by zelda.exe (DOS version) worked to allow AWE32 EMU8000 music to play in
zquest-w.exe but not in zelda-w.exe... :odd:

I was able to get music to play from zelda-w.exe by changing my default midi mapper in Win98 to point to wavesynth instead of the AWE32 EMU8000 synth chip (at address 620) So, that solves my own individual problem concerning getting the music to play in game.

The flame sound at the Armageddon Games logo is still turned up all the way though. :unhappy:

I included the technical details (like the chipset and address) for whoever reads this that is working on the next beta... keep up the good work and as always your efforts are appreciated :thumbsup:

MottZilla
03-27-2003, 06:42 PM
The flame sound is always very loud. Just turn down your speakers when the game starts. Now that you have music your only real problem is solved. ;)