PDA

View Full Version : Up to 10 U.S. soldiers executed

AtmaWeapon
03-23-2003, 12:32 PM
It's not up on any news sites yet, but Al-Jazeera has apparently shown footage of some American POWs being executed by Iraqi soldiers. This violates the Geneva Convention, which all UN countries are subject to.

US forces feed and water Iraqi POWs. This is what the Geneva Convention requires. So were the Iraqi soldiers justified in disobeying UN policies regarding POWs? Does anyone still think they are a harmless nation and they are not breaking any UN policies?

[EDIT] OK, the networks aren't saying anything about executions... I hastily went on my g/f's word. However, it IS STILL against the Geneva Convention to air pictures of POWs in a humiliating fashion. So Iraq is STILL in violation of the Geneva convention, regardless of whether they are executed or not.

VashdeStampedo!
03-23-2003, 12:52 PM
When did Iraq get any American POWs anyhow? They've lost every encounter so far.

AtmaWeapon
03-23-2003, 01:05 PM
From what CNN said, they were supposed to be repairing some equipment or something and strayed too far from the camp, the soldiers overtook them. US soldiers are good, but when outnumbered, there's not much you can do.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/03/23/sprj.irq.war.main/index.html

There's the CNN article.

Earlier, soldiers on reconnaissance missions reported that they had seen members of the Iraqi Republican Guard herd Iraqi women and children to military positions for use as human shields, a U.S. military source told Rodgers, who is accompanying the 7th Cavalry's 3rd Squadron.

Yet another breach of international law. Anyone else see a pattern?

J.J. Maxx
03-23-2003, 01:16 PM
Yeah, MSNBC is now reporting the possibility of POW executions..

Grrr...

AtmaWeapon
03-23-2003, 01:20 PM
Since CNN is lame, I found a decent article at Fox news.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,81911,00.html

Note that when the man displayed the soldier's wounds, many were apparently execution style wounds.

Mander
03-23-2003, 06:36 PM
I think it is terrible that soldiers have been killed but christ what did anyone expect to happen. As far as the Iraqs are concerned the troops are their enemy.

As for violating "Article 13 of the Third Geneva Convention which says clearly that prisoners of war must at all times be protected ... against insult and public curiosity," both sides are guilty of that. I watched a news report where blankets were pulled off Iraq prisoners of war so they could be seen by the cameras.

bigjoe
03-23-2003, 06:44 PM
I am starting to take the stance that "If they dont show respect for members of our society, why should we show respect for thiers?"

I do not normally value the killing of innocent civilians..

But if theyre going to treat POWS that way...

Drop the MOAB..

HEll , drop a nuke

two nukes

a thousand nukes!

A FUCKING ANTIMATTER BOMB!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

carrot red
03-23-2003, 06:50 PM
You can say that again, BJ!

Beldaran
03-23-2003, 06:55 PM
[waits patiently for US to kick some more ass]

Maverik X
03-23-2003, 06:59 PM
Hmm. Interesting. It is clear that Iraq thinks it is above the Geneva Convention. Either that or they are just being assholes. At any rate, I hope this ends soon so we don't have to worry about it anymore.

VashdeStampedo!
03-24-2003, 11:23 AM
So, whatever happened to the Iraqi army crumbling immediately after the war started? I wouldn't exactly call this crumbling.

And what do you expect Saddam to do? Either way he's going down, at least this way he'll look defiant, not like some coward who's afraid to act up.

Ich
03-24-2003, 01:11 PM
As for violating "Article 13 of the Third Geneva Convention which says clearly that prisoners of war must at all times be protected ... against insult and public curiosity," both sides are guilty of that. I watched a news report where blankets were pulled off Iraq prisoners of war so they could be seen by the cameras

I agree that that is a violation of the Geneva convention. I view it like a traffic ticket compared to murder.