PDA

View Full Version : U.S. took civilians hostage and claimed that they were soldiers?

bigjoe
03-22-2003, 03:10 AM
I was watching the news just now and some Information Minister claimed that the U.S. took Iraqi civilians hostage and claimed that they were soldiers, in order to make it seem like a massive surrender took place, when really there was none.

And looking at these pictures, im starting to become a bit skeptic myself. They do look a lot like civilians...

There was a particular picture of a U.S. soldier holding up a minivan , and an unarmed, casually dressed person raising their hands in surrender through the sunroof. The captain for this picture was "Iraqi military forces surrender" or something similar.

Since those allegations made by the Iraqi official, that particular picture seems to have vanished.... :confuse2: .. I'll see if I can find it...

Aside from that particular picture, ive seen nothing too much else that would convince me of these allegations. Except that some of the people being held up seem to be in business suits. Is it lack of funding for military apparel? Just curious as to what you guys would think

Blonde799
03-22-2003, 03:37 AM
You know how the US media is.:shrug: This morning at 5, I saw a US soldier approaching two casually dressed civilians on the street, and one was holding a sign or something on the news.

Freedom
03-22-2003, 03:40 AM
You going to buy the Iraqis propaganda our the U.S.'s ?

:O)

when you go into battle, you don't let anyone get behind you, and you hold everyone that could possibly do you harm.
otherwise you die.

You can bet there are some Civialians being held, and you can also bet there are some military commanders heading for Syria, wearing civilian clothes.

Ich
03-22-2003, 03:42 AM
If I were an Iraqi military commander, once I got done shitting my pants from fear, I would go to the US lines and surrender. Not go to Syria.

Freedom
03-22-2003, 03:45 AM
Then you would die at the hands of the people you've been abusing for the last 30 years, under saddams protection.

There's gonna be payback by the people that have been oppressed directed at their oppressors.

carrot red
03-22-2003, 03:54 AM
Was it the same Information Minister who claimed that US soldiers were terrified because Iraq was going to win? Sure, I believe him!

TheGeepster
03-22-2003, 04:34 PM
I'm a bit shocked that we would be playing press conferences from the Iraqi officials, since the Iraqi government has shown itself to be untrustworthy. I did laugh a bit at the near-incoherence of the translation by the Iraqi translator, though.

Most of the civilians, I daresay, are waiting for the American and British troops to arrive in their towns and cheering them on.

MottZilla
03-22-2003, 06:19 PM
Dude... They are the US army in a country with weapons of mass destruction, why the hell wouldn't you stop a van and check it out?

Seriously dude, it's not like they shot any civialians. And that hostage thing is bullshit.

Xyvol
03-22-2003, 06:47 PM
I don't belive anything the Iraqi goverment says, as they mostly try and make themself look good. I agree that the American troops are probably checking out everything they come across, be it a military bunker or a civilian mini van, but I don't think they would actual hold anyone hostage. From what I hear, even the soldiers that surrender are being sent home after they are disarmed.

VashdeStampedo!
03-23-2003, 12:45 AM
I hadn't heard about this. I don't think I believe it. Maybe captured them, but held as hostages and then lying about their affilliation? Seems unlkely.

Maverik X
03-23-2003, 01:31 AM
Hmm. I could believe either way. On the one hand, some soldiers may dress in civilian clothes. On the other hand, we could just be padding our statistics. As for Mr. Freedom, aren't we being a little over zelous there?

Freedom
03-23-2003, 08:35 PM
. As for Mr. Freedom, aren't we being a little over zelous there?

still think I'm being over "zelous" in light of todays findings?
I told you the way things are, I'm not being over or under "zelous", just telling it the way it is.
Enimies don't all wear uniforms and march in straight lines.

Xyvol
03-23-2003, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Freedom

Enimies don't all wear uniforms and march in straight lines.
That's how we beat the British in the Revolutionary war. We were the ones not wearing uniforms and hiding in the trees as the British marched by.

Gerudo
03-24-2003, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Freedom
You going to buy the Iraqis propaganda our the U.S.'s ? thats a stupid question...

you DONT beleive propaganda... period...

VashdeStampedo!
03-24-2003, 11:34 AM
I don't know, Gerudo. A lot of people are going for the talking monkey's propaganda. They believed that the Iraqi army would crumbl, which it hasn't, they thought anti-war means anti-army, which it doesn't, they think liberal means Hitler, which couldn't be more wrong, and all because of Bush's propaganda.

TheGeepster
03-25-2003, 02:38 AM
President Bush himself warned before the casualties started that this wouldn't be as easy as everyone seemed to think. That being said, I still trust this administration with the task they've stepped up to.

If the entire goal was to remove Saddam's regime with a minimum of troops casualties, we could have done it a lot easier by levelling Baghdad. But the fact is that the current administration wants to minimize civilian casulties, and this makes things tougher. You can also see the difference in the treatment of enemy POWs. We provide for Iraqi POWs, but look at the way Iraq deals with our POWs on their own television station.