PDA

View Full Version : Tetris is done

Beldaran
03-20-2003, 05:05 PM
Here's a screenshot of the finished project:

http://www.forrestkyle.com/tetris/screenshot.jpg

I had fun programming this game. I worked with 3 other guys in a group. It was a project for CS 142. So hey, my first video game.:)

Unfortunately, unless you have a java compiler, you can't play this game. Java can't generate executables the way C++ can. Since this program is a java application and not an applet, it can only be run by compiling the code.

I am going to try and modify the code to run in an applet but I don't think it will work because of what kind of grahic library we used. I'll let you know if I suceed and you guys can play it.

The GUI was made by me in Photoshop. I did about half the engine programming and some menu program. The other guys did the other half of the engine programming and most of the menu programming.

The options menu allows you to choose the background color and the difficulty setting. Quit opens a window asking if you'd like to quit, and the pause/resume button is fully functional. If you press newgame, everything is cleared and a new game starts. Everything works well and doesn't have any bugs. The "phsyics" (which I made) are nice and comfortable. I have played the game for a while and gotten quite far.

Anyway, so that's that.:)

EDIT

HERE TRY THIS. THIS IS AN EXECUTABLE THAT MIGHT WORK (http://www.forrestkyle.com/tetris/tetris.exe)

Ich
03-20-2003, 05:15 PM
Sweetness! Can you make it available for download, or something like that?

greedo
03-20-2003, 05:48 PM
i congradgulate you because this version looks better than the one on my calculator:drool:

tgf_guy
03-20-2003, 07:05 PM
Excellent work! But be careful; "Tetris" is actually copyrighted. O_o

Shadowblazer
03-21-2003, 06:23 AM
Beldaran, you might try looking around for an AOT (Ahead Of Time) Java compiler. With that you can take java source code (maybe bytecode as well) and create an executable out of it, eliminating the need for the JRE. I know that they exist but most of the ones that are easy to find are commercial. I'm sure there's some freeware ones out there though.

Beldaran
03-21-2003, 06:48 AM
Hey, I've been wondering if something like that existed. Thanks for the heads up.

Dracula
03-21-2003, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by tgf_guy
Excellent work! But be careful; "Tetris" is actually copyrighted. O_o
...So is Zelda... :shrug:

Anywho... Nice work, Beldaran... I really like the marble/metal effect the screen has... Really nice touch... One suggestion, though, is for the blocks to have a similar effect (unless you can change that in the options menu...)

Gerudo
03-21-2003, 02:58 PM
lookin good Bel... good to know that you are a man of many talents ^_^

Beldaran
03-21-2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Dracula

...So is Zelda... :shrug:

Anywho... Nice work, Beldaran... I really like the marble/metal effect the screen has... Really nice touch... One suggestion, though, is for the blocks to have a similar effect (unless you can change that in the options menu...)

You know, I want to make the blocks have that affect, but I haven't figured out how to get the program to load all the image files in advance. If I don't do that, it constantly loads, unloads, and reloads all the images and goes horribly slow. So until I figure it out, it will have to be those bland little rectangles.:)

carrot red
03-21-2003, 04:49 PM
Wow, your first video game. May it be the first in long string. I like it. Way to go!:)

Dracula
03-21-2003, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Beldaran

You know, I want to make the blocks have that affect, but I haven't figured out how to get the program to load all the image files in advance. If I don't do that, it constantly loads, unloads, and reloads all the images and goes horribly slow. So until I figure it out, it will have to be those bland little rectangles.:)

Understood... Hey, it's still Tetris... It still kicks ass. :D

Drunken Tiger
03-21-2003, 10:45 PM
d/l at the moment!! :P

Looks like fun!! :D