PDA

View Full Version : KoJ to produce new arcade game for US shores?

AlexMax
03-19-2003, 07:57 AM
http://mooniidx.bemanistyle.com/web2/index.php#nPHP1047532656

Konami of Japan told that they are thinking about introducing Beatmania IIDX to USA. After gaining so much popularity by their release of "DDR USA mix," they said that they are considering the release of the IIDX series as well. The KoJ (Konami of Japan) says, "DDR USA was a big success. Number of players are still increasing and we also got several E-Mail's asking if we are going to release the American version of IIDX."
The KoA (Konami of America) is excited about this as well. One of the spokesman said, "The DJ scene is probably more popular in America than Japan. I am sure that the game will catch the heart of both real DJ's and the people who wants to be one. The music is great for audience too, and I don't see why this can't be a success."
It is rumored that the new machine will be revealed at E3 2003(Electronics Entertainment Expo). Depending on the schedule, it might be postponed to 2004. Unlike Dance Dance Revolution, instead of the home controller, the entire machine will be brought in and it will be on free-play. They are also thinking about bringing guest player(s) from Japan to show us how the game is played.
One more exciting news about this is that, they will have some songs that's only featured on the USA version of IIDX only. However, it may not satisfy some expert players. Since this is going to be the first release of IIDX in America, it may be aimed at beginner players so they can get into the game easily. It is possible that the new feature is included like the "Beginner" mode in DDR USA. Probably similar to the "Drill Mode" that's featured in Beatmania IIDX 5th, 6th style home version.
This might be a good chance for people who lives outside of California to try this game out.

For those of you who don't know what Beatmania IIDX is, it's a game in the Bemani series (DDR, etc.) that has 7 keys (Origional Beatmania had 5) , like a piano, and a turntable, and you press the keys and move the turntable when indicated to do so, similar to DDR. Unlike DDR and like Frequency, you create the song as you play. Unlike Frequency, it's REALLY FUCKING HARD, even on its easiest setings. Hopefully, there will be easier modes in the USA style.

For now, Beatmania IIDX's are some of the rarest moden arcade machines out there, only showing up in California so far. This might change all that...

I hope this is true.

Thunderbird
03-19-2003, 03:28 PM
One question: Who's going to market this? KOA's arcade division is dead.

AlexMax
03-19-2003, 04:35 PM
That is a very good question. Very good. But Konami of Japan is in dire straits, Beatmaina isn't as well received as it used to be (though other bemani is still going strong). With the sucess of DDR USA, they are taking their chances.

Thunderbird
03-25-2003, 03:06 AM
I have a feeling that this is an outright lie. All of the songs on the initial post about it seem to exist (I recognize some), but if you look at more recent newsposts, they are starting to refer to songs that do not exist. Also note the post below the one you linked. Though it has nothing to do with IIDX, it points out that not everything on that site is true (the "song unlocks" they refer to in DDREX do not exist and all of the DDREX unlocks have been known since a week or two after it released).