PDA

View Full Version : The Ditsy Chicks

Beldaran
03-17-2003, 10:58 PM
The Ditsy Chicks are in the news.

Always be careful of what you say. Words have meaning.
These dumb broads were trying to "bond" with their German audience. However, their remarks have generated a firestorm of backlash, back home. Imagine this:
after their European tour, they have their North American tour to hostile audiences who are throwing their CD's away.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,81241,00.html

AtmaWeapon
03-17-2003, 11:16 PM
I didn't like them much before, but this really convinced me. They had a right to say it, but it rubs me wrong that they felt comfortable going to other countries and badmouthing our government. I guess we'll see them on "Where are they Now?" in about 10 years.

MottZilla
03-17-2003, 11:38 PM
It's their own fault.

Rijuhn
03-17-2003, 11:39 PM
If I go to another country and see someone talking bad about America I will follow them. If they are terrorists I would break their necks and rob them. Call the CIA and FBI and be a hero, yay!

I originally hated country, about 6 months ago, but then my sister slowly got me to like the genre. Then my sister became obsessed with the Dixie Chicks and got me to listening to some of their songs. Now I just think they are whores.

PS: My sister doesn't like them anymore because of this, lol. Good for you sis, you are seeing the light!

Aliem
03-17-2003, 11:44 PM
I never liked them, and now I mock them for their ignorance. Ha ha.

Mander
03-18-2003, 02:36 AM
Oh my god!!!!!!! Someone actually dared badmouth your beloved leader. Hanging is too good for them.

I thought Americans believed in freedom of speech. Or is that only okay as long as you agree with what everyone else is saying. And it was said at a London not German concert.

TheGeepster
03-18-2003, 02:56 AM
I heard it stated best something like this:

1) They can say whatever they want.
2) Radio stations can play them if they like.
3) I can turn the dial when I hear them if I like.

What the Dixie Chick said was perfectly in legal bounds, but nonetheless shameful, and if people wish not to support this band anymore because of their personal views, then so be it. It's in the nature of fame and stardom.

I've heard it said, "I'm ashamed that the Dixie Chicks are from Texas." :lmao:

Gerudo
03-18-2003, 03:14 AM
and again, my basic assumption that almost all people are stupid... (this is not a flame)

''omg, someone said something i didnt like, i just cant ignore it, BOYCOTT!! PROTEST!!"

this shit makes me sick... i actually could care less what someone says about our country or its leaders... as far as i am concerned, it goes back to the 'sticks and stones' rhyme...

Shadowblazer
03-18-2003, 03:19 AM
I thought Americans believed in freedom of speech. Or is that only okay as long as you agree with what everyone else is saying.Just because you can say something doesn't necessarily mean that you should. Sure, she had every right to say what she did. That doesn't somehow remove the listener's right to be offended by it though. And of course, thanks to the aforementioned freedom of speech, those offended have every right to voice their disagreement. It's not hypocricy, it's the system doing its job.

As for my opinion on this, I think Atma put it best. Miss Maines is certainly free to say whatever she wants, but it seems kind of... tacky, I suppose, for a celebrity to go overseas and start badmouthing the president. I honestly didn't find the comment itself all that offensive, but the very fact that she made it did strike a nerve.

Bleh, whatever. I'm just a worthless American. What do I know...

Beldaran
03-18-2003, 04:09 AM
Here's some freedom of speech for you:

People who don't understand American patriotism don't have anything worth preserving in their lives. That is why Mander makes fun of us for boycotting the Ditsy Chicks. If she had something in her life worth believing in, she'd appreciate our views.

But obviously she is intolerant of our beliefs, which makes her a bigot.

DarkDragoonX
03-18-2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Shadowblazer
Just because you can say something doesn't necessarily mean that you should. Sure, she had every right to say what she did. That doesn't somehow remove the listener's right to be offended by it though. And of course, thanks to the aforementioned freedom of speech, those offended have every right to voice their disagreement. It's not hypocricy, it's the system doing its job.

As for my opinion on this, I think Atma put it best. Miss Maines is certainly free to say whatever she wants, but it seems kind of... tacky, I suppose, for a celebrity to go overseas and start badmouthing the president. I honestly didn't find the comment itself all that offensive, but the very fact that she made it did strike a nerve.

I agree with that. Not much more to say because you covered it all.

Originally posted by Beldaran
Here's some freedom of speech for you:

People who don't understand American patriotism don't have anything worth preserving in their lives. That is why Mander makes fun of us for boycotting the Ditsy Chicks. If she had something in her life worth believing in, she'd appreciate our views.

But obviously she is intolerant of our beliefs, which makes her a bigot.

You're acting like those loons who are pouring wine down drains just because France won't support us. I'm more conservative than I am liberal, but I can still respect what they said. You have to remember, about half of our country doesn't support the president. Most of them may be liberals, but I don't bad mouth them for their beliefs. At what point did being a liberal make you unpatriotic?

Just because they don't believe what our president does, or what we do, doesn't make them wrong. You have to remember, those who are against the war are patriotic too. They sincerely believe that the war will hurt our country. It's their right to believe so. We can't just say "well, they're wrong." The war will probably turn out at least okay, but you STILL wouldn't be able to say "You were wrong," because we don't know how it would have turned out the other way.

I made fun of Clinton all the time. The man was like a walking scandal. However, since 9/11 and the whole terrorism thing, disagreeing with the president has become taboo. For the most part, I support Bush, but he HAS done things I didn't agree with, and I've made fun of him over those things. These people you want to keep demonizing just agree with the president even less, so they make fun of him more, just like the major conservatives made fun of Clinton all the time.

They aren't unpatriotic. They think that our president is hurting our country, and it's their right to speak out if they want to. That doesn't make them bad. It doesn't make them wrong. It just means that their idea of what is right for our country differs than ours. I'm generally a Republican, and it's people like you who give our party a bad name. You're acting like a bigger bigot than the Dixie Chicks are. To put it in a frame of reference you can relate to, you're acting like an Asturian.

As for the Dixie Chicks, I think what they said is phenomenally stupid. We're heading for war, and that's a bad time to criticize the government. Not to mention, it's in extremely bad taste to criticize your government when you're in another country.

Beldaran
03-18-2003, 05:30 PM
You're right DDX...except that you're wrong and don't know what you're talking about.

I don't like George Bush at all. I think he's a crummy person to have as president. I hate how he uses religion as a crutch and makes me listen to bible quotes in his speeches. I don't like his opinions on social matters and I don't like his background.

But I support our troops who are defending our freedom and that makes me pro-freedom and that makes me right.

The Ditsy Chicks have made millions off a system that the military is fighting to preserve right now. If they don't like it, they can just stay in Germany.

TheGeepster
03-18-2003, 07:39 PM
George Bush has a spiritual side which drives his decisions. I find this admirable. It's not wrong for a public figure to hold religious views closely and to voice them. I don't always agree with President Bush, but on the whole I think he's done very well, and his leadership has been above par.

I can respect someone who doesn't like him though, Beldaran. We are of all different kinds after all.

DDX, I agree with you in some degree about conservatives who would pour French wine down sinks as perhaps going too far. However I would point out that we do have the economic right not to support a product because of political and social statements made by representatives of the group. It is a very powerful form of free speech, our decision on where to spend our money, and nobody has the right to success, merely the right to pursue it by all legal means.

This means that if former fans think the Dixie Chicks stepped over the bounds of good taste, and their apology is lacking, I can support their decision not to buy any more music by them, and not to listen to the Dixie Chicks when they play on the radio.

I would also like to submit the possibility that to demean a sitting president without just cause is to demean the office of president. You could argue that conservatives have long spoke out against Clinton while he was in office, but a good amount of that was because Clinton himself demeaned the office by his own actions. Few can deny Clinton was a crook and a corrupt president.

This all being said, if the Dixie Chicks had merely said they were against this war and that it wasn't the right thing to do, I think the outrage would be less. But please try not to bash the president and just stick to the issue at hand.

ADD-ON NOTE: Germany's system is maintained partially because our military is there to help, so they'd have to move anyways. We've had troops stationed in Germany since the end of WWII.