PDA

View Full Version : Quake III framerate problems

AtmaWeapon
03-17-2003, 12:22 PM
I have an Nvidia GeForce 4 440 GO, and I know that's not the best of graphics cards, but hear me out with this:

My framerate in Quake III NEVER goes above 60. I've turned off every graphical option, lowered my resolution, and it still hovers at 59-60fps. Even when I raise my resolution, it stays at 60. I just want to see what my maximum framerate is in my normal playing settings. Any ideas why my framerate is screwed up like this?

Ares[K!]
03-17-2003, 12:59 PM
From your quake 3 console type
"/com_maxfps" (it will return what that is set at.) or just set it higher "/seta com_maxfps 120"

Also check your GL setting from the video properites (In Windows) It'll be under advanced settings and find Vertical Sync and change it to ALWAYS OFF

AtmaWeapon
03-17-2003, 01:15 PM
Ahh, it works now. Thanks much for the help. What good is Vsync? All I ever seem to do is disable it.

Ares[K!]
03-17-2003, 01:25 PM
You're Welcome

Eh? Who knows about vsync, I've never found a use for it in my Quake days

Thunderbird
03-17-2003, 01:55 PM
VSync is there to prevent tearing of the monitor. Though it doesn't usually affect anything with it off. However, it is quite useful with console emulation since the games are designed to run at a specific FPS :p.

Ares[K!]
03-17-2003, 02:06 PM
Thats good to know, I dont have any emulators that use OpenGL so I'm safe

Grasshopper
03-17-2003, 03:11 PM
When an image is being displayed, it gets the screen information and draws it to the screen. It does this at what we want to be 60 times a second. The computer begins to draw each frame after another even before its displayed. But in reality, what we want is one frame drawn and then displayed, then begin drawing the second frame, or in other words synchronize the rendering and displaying of each frame. This is called vsync. Thats why in some console emulation, when Vsync is off, you appear to move too fast.