PDA

View Full Version : New Zquest User

maxifrost
03-16-2003, 08:21 PM
Hello.

I'm new to the forum. Not Zquest, but I've only played with it so far. I want to make a full quest though. Thanks for support.

Gerudo
03-16-2003, 08:30 PM
welcome to AGN, read up on the rules (located at teh top of this forum), and for more info on ZQ, scroll down to the bottom and click into those forums.

:)

maxifrost
03-16-2003, 09:44 PM
Thanks. I've read some of the other posts, I know my way around PureZC and the official site, and I've tried almost everything suggested in my toying. Thank you for guidance, only I meant support for specific questions related to my project. Also, as it progresses I want to show some images to get input on how it looks.

maxifrost
04-15-2003, 11:16 AM
Hey, I'm making progress on my game. A few q's.

In the new "Link" sprite edit dialouge box, there's a row labeled "jump". Is this feature enabled yet, or does it serve another purpose? Other questions when I have more time.

AtmaWeapon
04-15-2003, 11:57 AM
Number one, please do not post twice in a row. You have an edit button for a reason. Number two, this would get more help in a Zelda Classic forum.
-=TOPIC MOVED=-

Jigglysaint
04-15-2003, 01:41 PM
Welcome to AGN, and to the wonderful world of the ZC forums.

You can also check out the Zelda Classic Network if you haven't already, they have a good quest database going.

Anyway, enjoy your stay, and I suggest that if you want to keep your soul, you might think about not venturing outside the ZC forums again as so many people have been utterly trapped by the slime bucket that we call General Discussion.

Aside from that I'll be glad to answer any questions you have that are Zquest related.

idontknow
04-15-2003, 03:16 PM
ya ya ya...so u want to make a quest, huh?...here's some things you should do:
1. download the latest beta if you haven't already
2. experiment with zquest a lil bit-which it seems like you've already done
3. read alphadawg's basic tutorial
4. read my tutorial for the latest features-these are for more advanced concepts though so read alphadawg's tutorial first; the links for each can be found at the top of this forum
5. search this forum for any additional info you might have; try to find answers to questions that people have already asked that you might have had-try not to ask questions that have already been asked or about things covered in the tutorials
6. maybe download & play some other custom quests to get a feel for how zquest may be used to your full advantage-to get an idea of what kinds of things you can do with the program
7. start to build your quest! do what you know & then maybe experiment with other features that you aren't so familiar with
--Good Luck!--

maxifrost
04-15-2003, 06:50 PM
I'm sorry for double posting, AtmaWeapon. I'll use edit from now on, if others haven't posted yet.

idontknow, I've read both tutorials. I've also played around quite a bit.

I've read your thread about flag tiers, too. I checked it out, and it solves quite a few problems I had before. Try making two-way switch systems!

And the power of layers and tile animation...especially when transparent...

Right now I've finished my introduction and have just started the overworld. I plan to work through each area of the game in order, so, a piece of the OW, then a sub-environment, town, and dungeon. Another piece of the OW...etc. I'm creating a marsh right now.

And the story...the main character is connected to link--but you don't learn how until the end of the game. Unless you guess it.

BTW, can you combine certain combo types for dual effects? Such as layering a convey combo over a water combo to give a river current? I've searched, and I don't think I've seen this topic here before.

idontknow
04-15-2003, 07:01 PM
nope, ya can't...combo affects only work on layer 0...so if you have a water combo or something on layer 1 or 2, even though it appears underneath Link, he will not swim over the combo but rather walk on it, with or without the flippers-many people, including myself, have already suggested combo functional combo properties on layers & combo mixing...you can sort of "blend" combos by making two combos cycling very rapidly to one another but thats about the best you can do...combos will cycle imediately after Link walks onto the screen if no animation is set, otherwise combos cycling after their animation is finished; however, there is a bug where if the # of animation is frames is set to 1, the combo will not cycle! combos also do not cycle on layers (but do animate) so no, for now, you can not have dual affects for combos at one time but you can have combos change affects quickly..anyway, good luck on your quest!

maxifrost
04-18-2003, 05:24 PM
Ahh, thank you. I hadn't tried everything but I wondered because I couldn't get into houses on the second layer. I have to put the door on the first layer even though the rest of the house is above it. But solid objects still remain solid on layers, THAT I'm grateful for.

I'd like to showcase my quest in the right forum, but it's not quite ready yet. I could give a few screenshots but until I finish the first level I'm not releasing a demo.

Verbatim
04-21-2003, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by maxifrost
Hey, I'm making progress on my game. A few q's.

In the new "Link" sprite edit dialouge box, there's a row labeled "jump". Is this feature enabled yet, or does it serve another purpose? Other questions when I have more time.

Hmm...I hadn't noticed that myself. Currently, Link can't jump...nice to see an indication that DN and/or FCF has been working on it, though...

At present, nothing in the Quest->Graphics->Sprites->Link dialog does anything, either (except really slow down Zquest while it's open for some odd reason). Eventually, the idea is that you'll be able to select which tiles Link uses, and place those tiles anywhere...but currently, the positions of Link's sprites are fixed, just like the enemy sprites are...if you want to edit them, just create your new Link sprites, and copy them over the current Link sprites on the first tilepage.

Oh, and...welcome to the world of ZC, happy questmaking!