PDA

View Full Version : secret combos in dungeons...

firebug
03-14-2003, 11:45 PM
i cant figure out how to make some of my secret combos in my dungeons stick instead of resetting when you leave the screen. for instance, bombing... ive got a passageway cluttered with rubble that you need to bomb in order to get past. but it resets so that when you leave the screen, the pile is there again. it works just fine in my overworlds and mini dungeons, but my main dungeon is doing this. it doesnt make sense to me because the only difference in any of my dmaps is the color scheme. thanks for the help.

Teilyr
03-14-2003, 11:55 PM
Dungeon dmap secrets are always temporary.

Use side warps in your dungeons to switch to a cave dmap in rooms where you need a SC to be permanent.

System Error
03-15-2003, 12:05 AM
You could also use Cave DMaps all the way, but the only problem is the room linkers on the Subscreen map won't show. No real biggie though.

firebug
03-15-2003, 12:27 AM
hrm.. all my dmaps are dungeons except for my title screen dmap but my overworlds sc work just fine when i leave the screen. note the overworlds are set as dungeon dmaps with the overworld color scheme... but ill fiddle with it a little, and maybe ill figure something out. thanks guys

Cloral
03-15-2003, 12:36 AM
If the level number of the overworld is 0, then it won't behave like a dungeon.
I still really think there should be a screen flag 'secrets stay' or something like that so you wouldn't have to switch dmaps all the time.

firebug
03-15-2003, 12:44 AM
ahhhh, i see.. ive got my overworld and mini dungeons set as level 0.. ok.. kewl.. so i set my dungeon up as a cave dmaptype, but all the keydoors switched over to open doors.. lol.. is there any way i can have both without having to switch between dmaps for specific rooms? if not no biggie ill just have to do a little extra work lol

on a diff note.. im not putting any maps in my main dungeon(s) do i still have to scroll the little slider in the dmap editor? or is that strictly for the map?

Cloral
03-15-2003, 05:06 AM
It also determins the room locations - you have to use the coordinates as they appear in the little box on the dmap rather than the coordinates of the room within the map.
And you can simulate locked doors using lock blocks - so if you wanted to, you could just have all your levels be on cave dmaps using secret combos for the shutters and lock blocks for the doors. However, I find this approach a bit tedious and prefer to use the automatic door tools along with the freeform dungeons rule, which just means that if I want any permanant secrets I have to switch dmaps.

firebug
03-15-2003, 01:31 PM
hrm... but.. if i dont move the slider at all, and i place just the map coordinates, shouldn't it be fine? i think ill try the lockblock idea.. i was thinking about that one last nite too. thanks for the help!

Teilyr
03-15-2003, 01:42 PM
The slider gives whatever you're doing an offset. If you don't move it, then whatever screen you make something on will be the warp to coordinates.

So, yes. You'll be fine.

firebug
03-15-2003, 07:25 PM
:) good deal, thanks teilyr. lockblocks work great... gives me a couple ideas for later dungeon puzzles too.. hmmmm

System Error
03-15-2003, 11:56 PM
Glad to see you're doing so. Not very many people use Lockblocks set to look as normal locked doors only not set in the door menu and other door stuff not using the door menu. C-Dawg does stuff like that, and he's one of the best quest makers, if not THE best. Who knows, such knowlage could give you a such a good name too.

firebug
03-16-2003, 12:35 PM
well im using the classic tileset (mostly) with freeform dungeons turned on.. in order for it to look good without phenomenal amounts of work on my part (lol) is to modify mostly EVERYTHING in the dungeons. ive found that using the preset doors makes things more difficult, so im just drawing them in myself with overhead combos and secret combos etc. it works out all right, and the lockblocks are amazing.. i can see some REALLY confusing puzzles with locked doors that wont unlock.... or shutters that need keys.. hrm.. it could be positively eeeeeevil. lol

but im not sure if ill ever release this one online.. im actually building it for my (dont laugh) mother. shes the one who originally got me into zelda when i was like 10, and i want to show her what zquest is all about (she loves ZC, but refuses to play any custom quests other than AD's 3rd which she only accidentally got to after beating the first and second quests)
*chuckle* but ill try to figure out how to post some screenshots and see what you all think.. maybe some ppl would be interested in it enough for me to post up a demo after i finish a couple more levels :)

EDIT: teilyr... for whatever reason, my dmap slider HAD to be pushed over for me to reach certain parts of my dungeon... i figure since the dmaptype was only 8x8 and my dungeon was in the middle of the map abouts, about half of it wasnt on my dmap without sliding it, so the rooms were inaccessable... so i guess you have to slide your thingie in order for it to work properly unless your dungeons are in the left-hand side of your map.