PDA

View Full Version : What's the best FREE game?

TedHead
03-13-2003, 09:40 PM
I know this is a very general question and most of you will probably think it is stupid to ask such a thing....

But I want to know what you people think is the very best free game out there on the internet. I'm talking about something that will keep me going and entertained for more than just a few minutes. A really awesome addictive game.

Any type will do. I want to find some good games....

The Savior
03-13-2003, 10:30 PM
Not counting warez/ROMs, I'd have to say Zelda Classic. It is infinitly customizable, and there are tons of quests out there to keep you entertained.

AlexMax
03-13-2003, 10:35 PM
[size=9]NETHACK GOD DAMNIT! (http://www.nethack.org/)[/si

TedHead
03-13-2003, 10:44 PM
No offence, but that Nethack thing looks.... kinda dull.

You're probably right about Zelda Classic being the best, but for some strange reason it won't run on my system. The thing just crashes momentarily after starting at the windows DOS prompt thing that it launches. It doesn't even start the actual program, it just crashes. But it looks awesome.

So because of this, I am left behind in the Graal world..... (http://www.graalonline.com)

The Savior
03-13-2003, 10:45 PM
Yeah, nethack is fun too. I just don't think it's as fun as ZC.

KingArthur
03-13-2003, 11:19 PM
NETHACK=LOVE! If the lack of graphics turns you off, play the windows version with graphics, or even better, look for Falcons Eye, its Nethack with Isometric sprites. BYOND (www.byond.com) is also good, a free online game engine and client that allows you to connect to games that are (almost always) free.

Untill recently, I would have said Infantry and Tanarus, but Sony decided to start charging for them.

lesse... some other good ones are LittleFighter 2, X-Pilot, Nettrek, XEvil, and continuum

DarkDragoonX
03-13-2003, 11:40 PM
Yeah, Continuum (formerly Subspace) is pretty good. So is Dragon Warrior Online (on byond).

Rijuhn
03-13-2003, 11:53 PM
Runescape is kinda fun. It looses it's appeal if after awhile. They are updating to a fully 3-D version, but it could be up to a year away as they still don't have a projected date for it or even a beta testing. The quests, if you can even call them than, aren't anything that'll draw you into the Runescape world if that's what you're looking for. The thing that keeps me playing is trying to be the best at something. I'm mining my ass-off right now as I type.

MottZilla
03-14-2003, 03:17 AM
Grand Theft Auto, the original, is now freeware. Check of Rockstar Games' site for that one, but it's a 300mb download.

stormwatcheagle
03-14-2003, 10:36 AM
So, I bought GTA for $20 FOR NO REASON! What a rip!

I don't know many free games.

Dr. Mutagen
03-14-2003, 01:54 PM
I agree with the Savior. Zelda Classic kicks major ass.

Gerudo
03-14-2003, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Mottzilla
Grand Theft Auto, the original, is now freeware. Check of Rockstar Games' site for that one, but it's a 300mb download. since you say it is freeware, would you mind putting up a link to this?

The Savior
03-14-2003, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Gerudo
since you say it is freeware, would you mind putting up a link to this? http://www.rockstargames.com/classics/

Kirbypuff
03-14-2003, 03:58 PM
I used to go to runescape... I didn't like it much, it got boring pretty quickly. It probrobly gets funner the more you play it, but oh well.

www.neopets.com is an okay website, but it gets boring quickly.

mike5000
03-14-2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Mottzilla
Grand Theft Auto, the original, is now freeware. Check of Rockstar Games' site for that one, but it's a 300mb download.

I sent in my request for the download but didnt get the email! :angry:

I emailed them and have to wait...

Myth
03-14-2003, 05:28 PM
Get playing Continuum (artist formerely known as subspace) 2-d space shooter, 8 different ships to chose from and good team based games. Initially coded by virgin interactive who pussied out of the challenge to keep it goin. Not a player run game, coded by priitk and some others. www.subspace.net

very addictive game, somewhat shit to start but the community id great.

Dracula
03-14-2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by mike5000

I sent in my request for the download but didnt get the email! :angry:

I emailed them and have to wait...

...Do you have KaZaA? Cuz, if you do... You could just download it from there... That's where I get everything...

Aliem
03-15-2003, 01:45 AM
Open Zelda. All the way. It may not have as many quests as Zelda Classic, but it can do more stuff. I suggest the quests Paradox and the Return of Ganon.