PDA

View Full Version : I moved my Windows 98 system to Windows 2000

Raichu86
03-12-2003, 12:03 PM
Last Sunday, I had to reformat my Windows 98, as it was falling apart (many programs quit running, I couldn't play CDs digitally, the digital movie (MPEG, AVI, ...) libraries wouldn't work, etc etc. I finally got sick of it and reformatted. But, I decided that since I had the chance this time around, I'd install Windows 2000 and give it a spin. If it didn't work for what I wanted, I could just reformat again and put 98 back on. Well, I'm glad I gave it a spin, because it works great. :D Yes, ZC even runs great. I can now use the Windows version (not like I have much of a choice now :laughing: )

I've got most of my stuff working now, including awesome new GeForce 2 drivers (that allow translucent windows and multiple virtual desktops). The only thing I can't get to work is Gimp. Windows claims it's generating errors and kills it. It works fine on another 2000 we have around, though, so I'll have to screw with it until I get it figured out.

All in all, I'm very happy with it. :) I traded a lot of broken stuff for a little. People need to quit dissing Windows 2000 (and XP, too) for their lack of support of many things, because I've found a way to get everything working except Gimp, and I know Gimp's problem is unique to my computer. :p

MottZilla
03-12-2003, 04:40 PM
I do not. Windows XP/2K cannot support my DSL modem thus I can't use those OS. I do say though, WinXP Pro was quite stable.

AlexMax
03-12-2003, 05:02 PM
As you can see, even shit can have varying colors. Windows 2000 in my opinion is one of the most stable versions of Windows out there.

Congratulations.

Masamune
03-12-2003, 05:06 PM
you poor thing raichu... you poor poor thing.... =(

vegeta1215
03-13-2003, 02:20 AM
I tried Windows 2000 one weekend after I got a virus on Windows 98 which wiped out my partition tables. I didn't like it at all, and it gave me lots of problems. A week later I installed Linux and never looked back :D

It's funny though, cause even though Windows 2000 worked terribly on my computer (and also terribly on my Dad's Pentium 3 Dell computer), it worked great on this old Pentium 2 computer we have at home. :shrug:

mikeron
03-13-2003, 02:35 AM
I've been on the same factory install of Windows 2000 for over two and a half years now and I don't have any problems.

Brasel
03-13-2003, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by mikeron
I've been on the same factory install of Windows 2000 for over two and a half years now and I don't have any problems.

Same for me except shorter length of time and with XP.

Raichu86
03-13-2003, 12:12 PM
I built my computer (it started out at 300 MHz, but that got to be way too slow, so I got a new motherboard, 950 MHz Duron), so I couldn't get a factory installation. The 98 I put on it lasted somewhere between 3 and 4 years before it finally fell apart so much that I had to reformat. I did go through a lot, though. Two motherboards, three video cards, two CD drives, two floppies (the latter being an LS120, or super disk).

vegeta1215
03-13-2003, 02:45 PM
I think what it all boils down too, seriously, is that what runs best is whatever OS your computer was built for. All of ours were designed for Windows 98, and it works really well on them whereas 2000 it's just not so.