PDA

View Full Version : Tetris

Beldaran
03-12-2003, 01:27 AM
I don't know if any of you remember, but I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was going to program a Tetris clone in the Java programming language. Well, I started it and I've been making some good progress. Here is a screenshot:

http://www.forrestkyle.com/misc/tetris.jpg

So far, pieces are randomly generated, and you can move them around and down. They will fall onto eachother (detecting collisions and what not), but they will not vanish when you complete a line.

Also, obvisouly I have not built a score keeper or line keeper.

But I'm almost done!:)

I should be finished with the beta version in a week or so.

Drunken Tiger
03-12-2003, 01:47 AM
Looking good Beldaran!!

Good luck!

Shadowblazer
03-12-2003, 09:42 AM
Hey, that's pretty cool. I've always wanted to make a Tetris clone of my own, since most of the ones I've seen are never quite as cool as I want. Mostly because they never do anything special when you get a tetris.

So many things I want to do, so little time... :(

SiliconHero
03-12-2003, 10:01 PM
Mmm...Tetris. :drool: So many of my studying hours will be wasted again in favor of this addicting puzzle. Say...will there be an option to make the blocks move down smoothly, instead of tile by tile?

VashdeStampedo!
03-12-2003, 10:08 PM
Look at the block at the top. It is going down smoothly.

Draconis
03-12-2003, 11:15 PM
Hey, Beldaran, how about next making each tetroid have a border and have each one have a different color. That would be cool.

Beldaran
03-12-2003, 11:36 PM
Yes they move smoothly. It's a smooth animation that is constantly checking positions on a coordinate system. It's actually rather complicated. I didn't realize Tetris would be quite this hard.

Paradox
03-13-2003, 05:53 PM
you'll learn that the only easy classic game to make is pong ;)

System Error
03-13-2003, 08:58 PM
And since Pong sucks as--I mean isn't a very good game....

The Tetris clone looks cool so far! Keep at it!