PDA

View Full Version : State of America

VashdeStampedo!
03-10-2003, 05:52 PM
I'm kind of . . . saddened by the current educational state of our country. In ten minutes, I BSed my way through an essay about a book I didn't read, and got an A. Is the bar really that low for high school juniors? I'd almost have rather failed simply because it wasn't good enough, and been the only one in my class to do so.

If that doesn't hurt your intellectual American pride, this may. I've been old enough to get my license for a while, but haven't yet. So, I still ride the bus home from school. Last week, I had fallen asleep, and woke up right at my stop. I get off, and start walking. I wasn't yet fully awake when this kid, who couldn't have been more than 10, just walks up and hits me. No reason. Since I'm still half-asleep, I react by hitting him back. I immediately feel bad, as the kid just drops. Then, his friends decide I must have gotten lucky, and then they start trying to hit me. I'm 6'2, and the tallest of these three is, at most, 4'2, so I'm a lot bigger than these kids. I don't want to beat the crap out of any more little kids, so I just push one, and he falls down and starts crying (The first kid had gotten up and run away by now). I tell the last one to leave, or something equally bad will appen to him. After seing two of his friends, both bigger than him, reduced to tears in moments, still doesn't get that he can't win. Then the bastard tried to kick me in the groin, so I just shoved him on ass and left.

A few days later, they decided they still had a chance. Same results. Then, they tried again today, doing everything the exact same. What the hell is wrong with these kids? Not just that they're starting fights with strangers, but they've never produced any effect from me other than themselves getting hurt. When are these kids gonna learn?

Ultra22Lemming
03-10-2003, 05:56 PM
They're like dogs, they want to play. SO PLAY WITH THEM!!!!!

stormwatcheagle
03-10-2003, 06:03 PM
Dude, what english class are you in? You can't get away with that in 108 at my high school...

AS for those little punks, prob. just a little wanna be gang. Show them who's boss. They started it, right? Still, I probably would have said something before hitting back myself.

VashdeStampedo!
03-10-2003, 06:07 PM
I normally would have, too, but I'm irritable when I'm tired.

I'm in American Literature and Composition Challenge (the advanced class). I just use descriptive words and focus on details, then pick a few random quotes that I can bend to what I'm trying to say. I'm good with words when I try.

inori
03-10-2003, 06:16 PM
I've never found an English class I couldn't BS my way through. Math, on the other hand, will require you to actually do the work.

fatcatfan
03-10-2003, 06:59 PM
True. Most English teachers discuss things in class so much so that all you have to do to get an A is feed what they've said back to them. Even if you sleep through half the class, you are likely to retain at least some of what they said.

AtmaWeapon
03-10-2003, 08:25 PM
You'd have died in my AP English classes. In some of our papers, we were only allowed to use a total of 10 adjectives. Descriptive words bad. Brevity and clarity good.

Sub-Zero
03-10-2003, 09:37 PM
Math is my thing...I suck at English...Your ability to BS is talent... I can't write as well as some people do when i actually do read the book...

inori
03-11-2003, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by AtmaWeapon
You'd have died in my AP English classes. In some of our papers, we were only allowed to use a total of 10 adjectives. Descriptive words bad. Brevity and clarity good.

When I want to be brief and clear, I write in C++, not English. :kawaii:

Seriously, I took technical writing too (and that was probably the hardest English class I took, including honors composition). There, brief and clear writing is valued above BS...