PDA

View Full Version : PAL/NTSC question. (SNES related)

Kalin
03-10-2003, 03:03 PM
Is it possible to play PAL SNES games on a NTSC SNES? If so, would the output be the same or would there be some noticeable differences? Thanks.

Thunderbird
03-10-2003, 03:15 PM
You could have interesting results, that's for sure. I've never tried anything like that.

The Savior
03-10-2003, 03:54 PM
Without an adapter, the answer is no. From what I've heard, it may be easier/cheaper to acquire another SNES than to get an adapter.

Kairyu
03-10-2003, 04:21 PM
Uh, actually, PAL games play perfectly in a SNES. The trick is getting the things to fit in, but a few quick cuts to the game (or system) or a game-genieish adaptor will serve your needs.

MottZilla
03-10-2003, 05:10 PM
Wrong. That's NTSC/J to play on NTSC/U. Most PAL games (CastleVania Dracula X) have internal checks to see wether the system is PAL or NTSC. Due to this, you would either need to patch the ROM (a game genie code could actually do that). Or you could design a switch (people have done this) to switch your SNES between NTSC 60hz and PAL 50hz. When you turn on the game, you would have it in the game's native setting, then once you see the game running normally, you switch to your perfered setting.

In the end, yes, it would be easier to buy another SNES.

Kalin
03-10-2003, 05:21 PM
Thanks for all the responses. So, if I just purchased a PAL SNES what would I need to get it to work on my NTSC TV? Is there some kind of adaptor I can get?

MottZilla
03-10-2003, 05:24 PM
Your TV must be capable of running at 50HZ for propper game play. There might be some kind of 50hz to 60hz or otherwise adaptor. I'd suggest you do a search on it, as well as read your TV manual.

Also, before that, you should properly hook up the SNES (would there be a voltage difference?). Just try it with a PAL game and see if it works...

The Savior
03-10-2003, 10:46 PM
Mottz, are you sure that it's just a simple matter of removing the lock security? Because this site (http://www.gamesx.com/importmod/sneslockout.htm) has a simple way to do it, but another page on the site (http://www.gamesx.com/importmod/snescon.htm) says that an adapter is required.

Mak-X
03-11-2003, 12:37 AM
Like Mottzilla explained, NTSC (North America and Japan), and PAL (Europe) are two different video signal thingys. If most monitors run at 75hz, and NTSC runs at 60hz, you can see how slower the refresh rate is on PAL at 50hz for it to be different if I'm thinking of this right. You can test this on your PC by setting the refresh rate of your monitor to a lower setting. Right click desktop, properties, display settings, Advanced, Monitor, choose refresh rate. Anything less than 70hz for me on a monitor is too low now.

I've played the Japanese, U.S. and Europe version of Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (NES) on emulation, and the European version is slightly slower, which is noticable to me.

This page shows you how to play import JAPANESE games on a US SNES.
http://www.gamesx.com/importmod/snescon.htm
The only thing preventing player's from playing Japanese SNES and N64 games on their U.S. SNES and N64 systems is the physical lock out in the cartridge slot, designed to fit a cartridge for the region its intended for. All you have to do is chisle out the tabs or remove it.

This page explains that you need a mode chip to play PAL games on a U.S. SNES. PAL and NTSC aren't the same thing, that's why the mod is required.
http://www.gamesx.com/importmod/sneslockout.htm

The Savior
03-11-2003, 01:09 AM
Sorry, beat you to the links Mak. ;)

Mak-X
03-11-2003, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by The Savior
Mottz, are you sure that it's just a simple matter of removing the lock security? Because this site (http://www.gamesx.com/importmod/sneslockout.htm) has a simple way to do it, but another page on the site (http://www.gamesx.com/importmod/snescon.htm) says that an adapter is required.

I was pointing out the differences between the two articles you linked to since you were wondering why one said one thing and the other said another.

MottZilla
03-11-2003, 02:16 AM
The lockout chip is not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about getting a PAL Snes to work on a NTSC TV.

But ya, anyway, you have to get the right refresh rate as well as past any lockout chips, should you be using the wrong region SNES.

satanman
03-11-2003, 12:50 PM
if you get a UK snes, you'll need a step-up converter, as our electricity is 230v. I think mainland europe uses 110v, though. :p

why the hell would you want to play PAL games on an NTSC anyway? the only good reason for importing is to get games that aren't out in your country, which means the only useful one is NTSC -> PAL, 'cause europe gets shafted long and hard in these matters ;)

El Oso Verde
03-11-2003, 02:24 PM
The only decent game I can think of that Europe got and the US didn't was Terranigma. I'd definitely go through all this trouble for that game.

Kairyu
03-11-2003, 03:43 PM
How about that Megaman racing game for the PSX?

I really didn't know that, Mott. I feel pretty idiotic now :sweat: ... oh well.

MottZilla
03-11-2003, 04:45 PM
Yes, Europe has a small yet not nil, number of games the US didn't get.

Getting European games to work NTSC is a bigger challenge than NTSC on PAL, cause they can use SCART or something. I forget. Or maybe it was the other way around...

Like I said, look this up.

stormwatcheagle
03-11-2003, 06:32 PM
so europen tv's are slower that american? You would think seperate american/europe systems would be a waste of money, seeing as we both speak english.

MottZilla
03-11-2003, 09:00 PM
Europe along time ago developed PAL for their TV standard while North America and Japan used NTSC. The only common format all over the world is basic RGB.

It IS a waste to have different formats. However to solve it would be to make all TVs compatable with both formats.

satanman
03-12-2003, 01:04 PM
PAL normally has 50Hz, higher resolution than NTSC, and SCART is really cool, my TV switches from normal TV to SCART when I turn on my VCR/DVD/GC and back when I turn it off :)

that, and europe doesn't speak english (except for england, obviously) :p