PDA

View Full Version : Title screens

Freedom
03-10-2003, 05:25 AM
Below is IDK's tutorial section on title screens, is there something missing or am I just not understanding this?
it won't work for me.

first off, do you open the game on this screen?
if so it won't trigger my message string.
second, it says set up a seperate dmap for this screen, is it on a different map or is it on the overworld map?
do you put a level # on the dmap?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

XVIII. Making a Title screen
1. Make the basic surroundings/background.
2. Put Link in a spot surrrounded by unwalkable combos so that he can't move
3. check the screen flag "invis. Link"
4. Check the screen flag "No subscreen"
5. Make a new dmap with a dungeon type and make this screen a part of this dmap and make the coordinates of the "continue" option the coordinates of this screen. Set the title screen
music that you want as the dmap's midi.
6. Set the Message String as the string of which you want to be the title of your quest
7. If you want things such as clouds, rain, thunder, trees, etc, use layers to make these things.
8. If you want the player to be able to press an arrow key to continue pass the title screen, place Link at the edge of the screen and then use the side warp
or you could surround Link by stair warps and use the tile warp.
9. if you want LInk to automatically warp after a certain period of time, go to the screen data menu and set the # of tics; remember 60 tics=1 sec. Then set the side warp to the next part
of your quest.

Teilyr
03-10-2003, 08:48 AM
1a. Yes. It must be on dmap 0, and you have to set the continue co-ordinates for that screen.

1b. As for your string, try this. Add a blank screen to the right of your title. Then, set the continue for that screen. Then, on the new screen, set a timed insta warp for 1 tic that will take you to the title screen. This should fix your message string.

2a. As I said, it has to be dmap 0. It can be on a different map, if you want.. But, if it's only 1 screen, it's not necessary, unless you want a full map overworld.

2b. Level number can be anything. I put it as level 0, overworld dmap.

Hope this helps.

Freedom
03-10-2003, 08:55 AM
Does this work in the 163?
I was testing it out in that version.
I tried everything except 2 screens with the insta-warp for the string and it wouldn't work.

it took me to that screen all right, but the string didn't work and warping away from that screen wouldn't work.

Teilyr
03-10-2003, 09:05 AM
I'll try a few things to get it working on my end. Then, I'll edit this post.

Teilyr
03-13-2003, 04:30 AM
Pardon the double post. Though, it has been 3 days.

Freedom, after fiddling around with strings, I'm discovered that to have the string appear, you have to....

1) Be on a dungeon dmap that has a level number greater than 0.
2) Make sure your guy is set (duh.)

If both of these criteria are met, then the string should work.

I apologize for taking so long to reply.. I've just been rather busy.

Freedom
03-13-2003, 06:23 AM
I apologize for taking so long to reply.. I've just been rather busy.

No biggie, I'm not going to a fire here :O)
I have plenty to keep me busy.

So what you're saying is you have to set the "O" map to transfer you to a dmap which does your title screen and then have the dmap transfer you back to the "O" to start your game, since the game starts you automaticly on an overworld screen that you preset.

sounds like "lost in link land"

:O)

Teilyr
03-13-2003, 11:20 AM
That's what I do.

My title screen is animated, and tics seem to trigger immediately on the first screen of something. At least at times.. This does not always happen.

The first screen I start the player on is 00, on dmap 0. Then, by using a tic setting of 1, I insta warp them to the first screen of the title sequence. Just be give the title screen its own dmap if you want it to have its own music.

Hope this works out for ya. :)