PDA

View Full Version : Substance: Xbox vs. PS2. (Warlock)

AlexMax
03-10-2003, 12:02 AM
Interesting article here.

http://insider.ign.com/teasers/388/388211.html

Too bad it's only IGNsider. Warlock, please.... ^_^

Thunderbird
03-10-2003, 03:31 AM
Why anyone is willing to pay for something like that puzzles me :p.

Cronic
03-10-2003, 05:54 AM
I can answer this actually...

Graphics:
Xbox is better simply because the graphics engine is more capable... The way it works is basically that the PS2 has to "fake" 3D more or less, and yes the Xbox does have sharper picture qaulity. The prime example of this is by looking at the extras on each character Ie: Snake, and Raidens hair as well as the ammo on snakes chest all blend a lot better, and leave fewer jags than on the PS2 version. as with any Xbox to PS2 cross platform comparison the illusion of 3D is better on the box.

Although there were no graphical changes there is a noticable difference due to both systems graphics capabilities.

Sound:
Xbox has (and uses) in game Dolby digital 5.1 and in case you don't believe me I'm looking at the box for both as we speak ;) I believe the PS2 supports Dolby digital, but only in cut scenes if at all.

Content:
This is where the PS2 version stands out, but that's true with any MGS release... For example when MGS2 was originally released in the states we got jipped because a few months later when it was released in Europe thay got extras because Konami had time to put them in (Like euro Extreme, and of course the casting theatre)

Now from everything I know the content doesn't make it worth while enough for me...

There are a couple more characters availible in the casting theatre and a MGS themed demo for Evo Skate boarding which of course was only used in the PS2 version thanks to licensing issues.

Another thing to consider though is that the lag experienced on the tankers front deck will not be present in the PS2 version, but this is only because the rain was so cenetered around the PS2's technology and Konami was lazy when doing the port.

All in all I'll never pick up the PS2 version again... the graphics and sound as well as shorter load times are well worth a little lag in one part of the game to me.

Still though I'm curious to see what IGN has to say.

Warlock
03-10-2003, 12:32 PM
March 05, 2003 - When we first came up with IGN insider, we took a long look at all of our existing IGN channels to find topics and areas we don't already cover -- and that would be interesting to die-hard gamers and IGN fans like yourself. If there is one major trend that emerged with the release of new gaming consoles, it's that more and more developers are trying to release their titles on multiple consoles. The editors at IGN try to do their best to write about each gaming system and objectively review all the major titles, but there is one thing we don't often do: compare games across platforms. Is Madden still worth a purchase on GameCube, or does the controller hinder the experience? Is Burnout just as thrilling on PlayStation 2 as it is on the more powerful GameCube and Xbox platforms?

If you're at a conflict every time a game debuts on multiple platforms, this column is for your. The Head-to-Head series of articles cuts through all the different takes the editors have on games, compares the facts, and presents you with one uniform opinion on all the versions.

Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2, Xbox)

At the end of 2001, one of the biggest titles to be released for any of the current generation consoles was Metal Gear Solid 2. As the follow up to the blockbuster smash hit PSX title Metal Gear Solid, it went on to sell extremely well and be played by many PS2 fans. However, sole owners of GameCube and Xbox would have to do without it. Fortunately, Konami wasn't completely blind to the fact that more gamers deserved to play the epic title, and it released Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance for the Xbox a year later in November 2002. This came with new content additions including VR missions and other bonus gameplay like Snake Tales, which lets you go on more objective-based missions -- some quite lengthy. So, there's no question that Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance comes packed with more content than the original MGS2 on PS2.

Seemingly, the Xbox Metal Gear would have been the one to buy, but Konami responded quickly by releasing the slightly beefed up Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance for PS2 this March.

There are questions that need answering then. Is the new content in the PS2 substantial (no pun intended)? How does it sound on Xbox? Which version has the best graphics? We will answer all these questions and more in the following head-to-head comparison. If you want the best version of Metal Gear, this is the place to find all the details you'll need to make that decision.

Control
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance features four control schemes for each console. The four main face buttons are identical across all control schemes, and L1 and R1 on the PS2 match up with the L and R triggers on Xbox. The biggest difference is that where the PS2 uses the L1 and R1 buttons, the four various setups on Xbox use the black and white buttons and/or the analog stick buttons. In particular, where you can toggle in and out of first-person quickly with the PS2 by tapping the R1 button (in the main scheme), it is tied to the left analog stick button on the Xbox. In that instance, you don't have to hold in the left analog stick button to remain in first-person -- it is toggled on and off with each press. This makes it slightly less quick to use, but, that's why there is the other control types, which let you switch the sidestepping functions of the R and L triggers on Xbox with the black and white buttons, thus freeing up R, for example, to be used with first-person aiming.

So, functionally, you can get the same setups on each controller. As a matter of convenience, it could be debated that the Xbox controller isn't quite as nice with the less symmetrical layout, but it's all very personal. If you have no trouble using the black and white buttons on Xbox's regular or S controller for these kinds of functions, then it won't bother you.

In the end, neither is not an absolute better setup.

Winner: PlayStation 2/Xbox (Tie)

Features
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance is a collection of the original Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, released for the PS2, in addition to new VR missions, custom missions with Snake Tales, and a few other extras. It is identical on the PlayStation 2 and Xbox?except for one thing.

The PlayStation 2 has skateboarding, which the Xbox version does not. The skateboarding is ripped straight out of Konami's Evolution Skateboarding, and it features a few Metal Gear themed levels to get your skate on in. The value of this extra will vary from person to person. IGN did not rate Evolution Skateboarding highly, but if you enjoyed it or enjoy its inclusion in the PS2 version of Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance, you could label the PS2 version as more "feature rich."

It's a minor extra, but extra nonetheless.

Winner: PlayStation 2

Sound
Thanks to the incredible sound designers and composers that worked with Konami on Metal Gear Solid 2, the audio is spectacular on both the PlayStation 2 and Xbox. Both consoles feature Dolby Digital 5.1 for the major cut-scenes. When you get into the game, however, you will notice some distinct differences between the Xbox and PS2 versions.

The PlayStation 2 version supports PCM (digital) stereo surround -- the two-channel kind. It's crisp and clean, but if you're an audiophile, the better bet is probably to set your receiver to Dolby Pro Logic II when you're not in the 5.1 enabled cut-scenes. Meanwhile, the Xbox features Dolby Digital 4.0 for the gameplay. The audio also sounds slightly wider and a little cleaner. It's subtle, especially when compared to the PS2 running in DPLII, but it's there.

So, the center channel is missing when you're not in a 5.1 cut-scene in both versions. Regardless of that, the audio is definitely a little better on Xbox.

Winner: Xbox

Graphics
As always, the battle for the graphics crown is one of the most brutal; every advantage and disadvantage is thrown in to decide the winner. Regarding Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance, there's no denying that it's a beautiful game period. From the art design to the heavy effects implementation, it is a treat for the eyes. It began as one of the most advanced PlayStation 2 engines and was ported over to Xbox. Usually Xbox is quite receptive to ports, but this time around there seems to be a few noticeable drawbacks in addition to any advantages.

In general, everything is the same across PS2 and Xbox -- modeling, textures, and particle effects are largely identical. Where things are noticeably different come, firstly, in contrast, lighting, and color saturation. The Xbox, as it so often happens, is much brighter in many regards. This makes it pretty agreeable for setting your TV to. On the other hand, it also gives it a slightly washed out appearance at times. When we say slightly, we really mean it; it's another one of those preferential things. To some it may feel a little less stealthy because you lose some darker hallways. To others it may be make navigating more comfortable. The point is, there the two versions have distinct looks to them. The PS2 is far more contrasted and saturated with color.

The images below will speak for themselves. Bear in mind the VR missions vary in lighting patterns, but we can assure you they pretty much look the same.

(bunch of ss comparisons here)

There is one clear issue that can be called an Xbox flaw, however: Major CPU slowdown. Konami's development team spent years researching the PlayStation 2 hardware and came up with very specific particle effects, making use of the PS2's unique hardware architecture. Translation: porting such specific code to Xbox has its drawbacks, and that happens to be slowdown. The first level, on top of the tanker, has you trudging through the pouring rain. It looks great, cranking out a fairly consistent 60 FPS on the PS2. Meanwhile on the Xbox, not only does the framerate suffer, but the CPU takes a hard hit. What this translates into is slower motion. Meaning, it takes you longer to get from point A to point B on the Xbox version versus the PS2 one.

Thankfully, these issues clear up when you enter areas sans major particle effects, but the slowdown does rear its head often enough that it's annoying. You'll be firing off a few rounds at the targets in the VR missions, causing smoke to congregate in one area, and suddenly your rate of consecutive shots drop because of the slowdown.

It's something that you can learn to ignore, but we're certainly not fans of it.

Winner: PlayStation 2

Presentation
Because MGS2: Substance is basically all the same content in the same package, there is very little presentation inconsistencies between the two versions. The most noticeable presentation event comes in the form of load times, as it so often does. Moving from room to room in Substance is frequent enough that you see load times fairly often.

On the Xbox this changeover is pretty transparent, taking somewhere around two seconds depending on the area. On the PS2, though, that same area will take at least four seconds. It's still fairly short, but it's long enough to keep you tuned in to the squeaking of the moving laser mechanisms on your PS2. Likewise, loading for VR missions and other content is longer on PS2.

The question is, does the package of skateboarding and more consistent visuals on PS2 match Xbox's better audio and faster loading? We can't say that it does. Faster load times are definitely appreciated.

Winner: Xbox

Final Verdict
This has been quite a battle of hardware strengths. PS2's only admirable (we use that term lightly) extra feature is skateboarding. Technically, graphics goes to PS2, while shorter load times and audio go to Xbox. So, which console becomes the clear winner and best overall buy?

Well, because visuals play such a huge role in Konami's movie-like epic, it should go to Sony's console. It's a franchise that was made for the PS2, and especially in the department of displaying the game to you it works great.

Overall Winner: PlayStation 2

AlexMax
03-10-2003, 04:33 PM
Graphics:
Xbox is better simply because the graphics engine is more capable... The way it works is basically that the PS2 has to "fake" 3D more or less, and yes the Xbox does have sharper picture qaulity. The prime example of this is by looking at the extras on each character Ie: Snake, and Raidens hair as well as the ammo on snakes chest all blend a lot better, and leave fewer jags than on the PS2 version. as with any Xbox to PS2 cross platform comparison the illusion of 3D is better on the box.
Although there were no graphical changes there is a noticable difference due to both systems graphics capabilities.

Graphics:

Well, you were almost correct in your analysis, DC....

MottZilla
03-10-2003, 05:05 PM
DC, the Playstation 2 MGS2 does not at any point "fake 3D" (wtf does that mean?). MGS2 was completely rendered just like the Xbox. I have to agree with IGN actually, the PS2 version is better, because sorry, slow down and shitty frame rates, aren't we supposed to be beyond that now with all this "cutting edge" technology?

It wasn't the machine's fault no. I hope this helps you realize DC, that its not the system, its the software, that matters. GC can do any game that Xbox can. It's all a matter of how much time goes into the game.

Had Konami used more time, I'm sure they easily could have atleast fixed the rain on the tanker deck. As well as other particle effects... But they didn't, and now you see its the porters, not the hardware, that determine wether the port is good or bad.

Cronic
03-10-2003, 09:22 PM
I've known all along that the porters were the issue Mottz... What makes me wary about it coming to the GCN is that

A: The porters likely won't put anymore effort into it
B: The controls will be impossible to convert

Alex... You qouted me twice there bud ;)

AlexMax
03-11-2003, 09:42 PM
Oops :P

Anyway, look for the part about graphics in the article. It says that the PS2 won.....strange...

MottZilla
03-12-2003, 12:05 AM
It won because they don't accept slow down and they shouldn't nowdays.

Thunderbird
03-12-2003, 03:06 AM
Yeah, apparently slowdown was the only major difference in graphics performance.

It doesn't really surprise me that Konami didn't do too well in making MGS2: Substance for the Xbox (it came here first if I remember, though I'll bet Konami had the PS2 version done awhile before), since like most Japanese companies, they haven't really expressed much interest in that system. From what I hear (from the Konami message boards), the only reason the Xbox got a port was because MGS2 sold a lot better over here than it did in Japan.

I'm kinda wondering what the PC version is going to look like in terms of the aspects reviewed by IGN.

MottZilla
03-12-2003, 04:30 AM
I really want the PC port when it comes out. Perhaps they'll be smart and add on to it. For instance online play of some kind would be nice >=P haha.

Cronic
03-12-2003, 04:48 AM
Minus the slow down (which adds more then it takes in my opinion ;) The graphics are far superior on the box...

Denium
03-12-2003, 04:55 PM
Are you saying that slowdown adds more to the game?

...You're a fucking retard. Seriously.

AlexMax
03-12-2003, 04:58 PM
Nuh uh.... NO WAY. SLOWDOWN DOES NOT ADD TO A GAME! I've played many games in my time, and SLOWDOWN just bugs the hell out of me. I would LOVE for you to explain to me how slowdown adds ANYTHING to a game.

And Denium, watch your language. Take it to PM's or GB.

Cronic
03-12-2003, 07:07 PM
Once again Alex... No call on the flame?

As I was saying I enjoy the occasional slow down... Give me time to appreciate the graphic detail.

MottZilla
03-12-2003, 07:13 PM
I could see slowdown as perhaps something fun, if it were a matrix camera circling like effect.

Otherwise, slowdown is useless. All it's doing is making the game easier by giving you more time to react.

Cronic
03-12-2003, 09:01 PM
Yeah but if it's a reaction you've made before without than :shrug:

And the slow down is not enough to actually help gameplay.

MottZilla
03-12-2003, 10:52 PM
I'm curious to see sometime how much it does slowdown. It's a shame there is no on screen FPS counter. ;p