PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of Cell-Shading?

mike5000
03-09-2003, 03:05 PM
Seriously take a vote, I just read in my newest PSM magazine that the PS3 games will all be Cell-Shaded!! I personally dont like cell-shading, and I think it looks stupid. I want to know what you people think of cell-shading, also I dont get how anybody could like cell-shading? can sombody tell me how it even COMPARES to modern graphics?

Tygore
03-09-2003, 03:08 PM
I seriously doubt that they ALL will be. It is becoming a more popular style, but for EVERY game to be cell-shaded is rediculous.

Link 101
03-09-2003, 03:51 PM
I don't mind, it is not the best, but it is better than 8-bit games. I think the cel-shading goes good with WW.

The Savior
03-09-2003, 04:19 PM
I like cell shading a lot. I'd love to see some old classics re-released with cell shading.
/me drools whilst thinking about a cell-shaded Quake.

Seriously, I think the problem with Cell-Shading is just people's perceptions. They automatically think CS = kiddie game, and the with the new Zelda being done in that style, it seem that assumtion won't be going away any time soon.

mike5000
03-09-2003, 04:26 PM
Well, Im sorry but I just found out that PSM "Had made a funny" The cell-shading was just an early April fools joke! good for me : )

But I would still like tons of vote and comment aboot' Cell-Shading.

stormwatcheagle
03-09-2003, 04:49 PM
It has it's place. Cell Damage was good, and the shading fit. It works great in Zoids, and it can help a game out a lot if used RIGHT. Zelda, on the other hand, needs to stick with a more realistic look. Cell Shading ruins the whole mood of the game for me.

Axel
03-09-2003, 04:56 PM
cell shading has potential. but Celda was just another in a long line of Nintendo suicidal moves. the GC appears to be nothing but these.

vegeta1215
03-09-2003, 05:02 PM
I haven't played any cell shading games yet, but everyone tells me the style makes games look like cartoons, and I am a big fan of cartoons, so I will probably like it a lot.

AlexMax
03-09-2003, 06:34 PM
DO WHILE strHorse = "dead"
BEAT
LOOP

Ugh.

Oh by the way, Jet Grind Radio owns you.

imported_Cool_Link
03-09-2003, 07:12 PM
I like Cel-Shading. I mean, I'd hate for it to be used for every other game, but I like it. ;)

Also, I like it on Zelda. :)

AtmaWeapon
03-10-2003, 01:47 AM
Take a look at Viewtiful Joe. I think cel-shading only looks bad right now because the style, not the art, is immature; give the companies time to realize its potential, and you will see that it can be a truly great experience.

I mean, imagine a game about comic book characters that looks like an actual comic book, rather than the lackluster 3d work that is typical of a superhero game.

Petoe
03-10-2003, 10:27 AM
Cel-shading is absolutely fantastic, at least in Wind Waker. Only the water in that game looks ugly, everything else looks cool, not kiddy.

AlexMax
03-10-2003, 04:39 PM
Has anyone taken a look at auto modelista or whatever that cell shaded racer is called? I'm either getting that or Midnight Club 2,

jman2050
03-10-2003, 05:01 PM
Just a note, it is cel shading, not cell shading. Cell's are individual units or spaces, such as the cells on Excel. Cels, on the other hand, are the painted celluloid sheets commonly used in animated works. What, you thought that they used colored pencils in all those movies :) ? Thus, cel shading is actually a specific art style used in cartoons. I have no clue what cell shading is though.

Fiyerstorm
03-10-2003, 06:29 PM
Auto Modellista, Alex. It's for PS2 and it's an online game.

I like cel shading. That Taz game looks great and Jet Set Radio Future.......OMFG.....

/me orgasms

mike5000
03-10-2003, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by jman2050
Just a note, it is cel shading, not cell shading. Cell's are individual units or spaces, such as the cells on Excel. Cels, on the other hand, are the painted celluloid sheets commonly used in animated works. What, you thought that they used colored pencils in all those movies :) ? Thus, cel shading is actually a specific art style used in cartoons. I have no clue what cell shading is though.

Funny, all over my magazine it says CELL-SHADING...

jman2050
03-10-2003, 09:15 PM
My opinion: They're wrong