PDA

View Full Version : AOL's newest feature... damn

Ganonator
03-09-2003, 06:54 AM
I just got the new AOL 8.0 Plus, and upon first look it was pretty impressive. Then, about 3 minutes into my time on the service, i was hit with the newest service. at first, it wasn't bad. But then every time i closed it, it reopened.

What is it, you might ask? AOL Match Chat.

It goes through your profile, then picks out some 2 word phrase, supposedly my hobbies and interests. 'Spending Money', 'wasting time', 'and going' were some of the terms that I was automatically sent into a chat room, with other people with these words in their profiles too.

Unless AOL wants to be the newest mediator in getting people to meet each other online, this wastes my time and bandwidth.

fucking AOL...

Kirbypuff
03-09-2003, 08:26 AM
It only asks me if I want to use it every once in a while, like every 2 or 3 days or so.

Breaker
03-09-2003, 09:12 AM
... AOL is garbage, get a real isp. Not only is it garbage, but you're paying a hell of a lot for said garbage. -_-

Nonsensical
03-09-2003, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Breaker
... AOL is garbage, get a real isp.

What? Like IE? :redface:

AOL is much too laggy and user-friendly. It's tacky, even. I do like AIM, though, if only because all of my friends use it.

Fiyerstorm
03-09-2003, 10:16 AM
Um, you can disable that...look in People Connection...

Ultra22Lemming
03-09-2003, 10:41 AM
That's weird. Ya, I say AOL just a piece of crap. I use AIM though, at least it doesn't send you to chatrooms like that.

Tygore
03-09-2003, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Nonsensical

What? Like IE? :redface:

AOL is much too laggy and user-friendly. It's tacky, even. I do like AIM, though, if only because all of my friends use it.

IE is not an ISP. It's a browser. He means like MSN or Cox or something.

ShyGuy0824
03-09-2003, 03:23 PM
think about it this way. How much do you spend a year on AOL. How much would it cost to get cable? How much more do you value AOL than cable. Simple answer, aol sucks. The only reason anyone has it is because everyone else has it.

stormwatcheagle
03-09-2003, 03:38 PM
Get a cable modem and use trillian. There's no need to have an AOL product on your computer.

carrot red
03-09-2003, 03:48 PM
My thoughts exactly. Get a cable modem, in the end it'll cost almost the same.

Masamune
03-09-2003, 04:55 PM
cable internet in my area costs about 40 dollars. comcrap just raised the prices on about all of their services and passed it off as "better and more efficiant service". =p

stormwatcheagle
03-09-2003, 05:18 PM
same here, but i'm not going back into the 56k dark ages.

Dark Templar
03-10-2003, 02:28 AM
You can also undo that feature at the bottom of your profile while editing it. ;)

Ganonator
03-10-2003, 04:24 AM
I have the college T1 here at school, but my parents live outside of the range for cable and DSL back home, so they are stuck with dial-up. Since i still use that as my main email address, and getting on AOL to check it is pretty darn efficient...

Fatty Lumpkin
03-10-2003, 10:06 AM
I'd pay for cable or dsl myself, but it's not offered in my area. I did manage to get my parents to get a second phone line.

Gerudo
03-10-2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Tygore
IE is not an ISP. It's a browser. He means like MSN or Cox or something.
heh, you said that alot nicer than i would have... ;)

anyways...

all you AOL heads do in fact know that you do NOT have to use AOL's browser? just minimize and use IE...

thats a no brainer...

Ich
03-10-2003, 01:26 PM
And if you get a program I have, you can minimize it to the toolbar (next to clock) and if you get another program, traymanager (I think) it will further conceal it in a right click menu. There's an AIM for Linux too, which is why I don't use the internal aol instant messenger. The unexportable buddy lists don't let you get rid of aol for the free client.

MasterSwordUltima
03-10-2003, 03:52 PM
There's an AIM for Linux!?