PDA

View Full Version : for the parents

SDA inc.
03-08-2003, 06:41 PM
i know some parents think that game are bad for kids and i also know that there a parents that are just big kid. i have a guestion for the parents that don't like games, why most u hate on somethin so beatiful

Tygore
03-08-2003, 06:54 PM
I will be very suprised if you find any anti-video game parents on a gaming message board.

SDA inc.
03-08-2003, 06:56 PM
i just wonderin

Cronic
03-08-2003, 07:39 PM
You seem to bve doing lot of that lately...

There's a forum called "Order of the Phoenix" or some such queerness... I think you'll find a happy home there, and that's not just because I can't view it ;)

SDA inc.
03-08-2003, 07:42 PM
dat just wha i do all got alot of time on my hands

Yoshiman
03-08-2003, 10:48 PM
If you look at people's avatars, about 70% of them are from various video games or are video game related. And video games are good to play because they expand the mind. Play Zelda or any other adventure game. Most of the puzzles rely on pure logic. Or you can just go to a website with game walkthroughs... :rolleyes:

Nite_Fire_Guard
03-08-2003, 11:57 PM
Ok, I will tackle this one. Seeing as I am both a parent and a video game player.

First off, I am not anti-video games. I like to play video games myself, and so do my sons. I am against playing video games all day every day to the exclusion of all other activities. If I was to let my sons have their way, they would plop down in front of the system and play all day until they fell over asleep at night. (minus bathroom and meal time) Video games are good, and fun, but so is going outside and playing with freinds, reading a book, shooting hoops on the court, etc. Video games are like anything else, do it in moderation. Too much of anything will over run your life and ruin it.

Now, I think that most of the anti-video-game parents, or at least the ones Ive talk to, object to the gory graphics i.e. blood and guts in shooting games, or the glorification of crimes. Also, I notice that a lot of times, they games they are objecting to are of a Teen or Mature rating, and the kids in question are 12 or under. Which begs the question, who bought that mature rated video game for the kid in the first place? Sure, they use the line that they didnt notice that big sticker on the front of the package, and had no ideal what the game was like before they bought it, which makes ya wonder why didnt they rent it from Blockbuster before popping down $70 for it?

Bottom line is that the way I see it, Some do object about the blood and gore, have actually review the questionable titles, and have legitimate complaints to be aired. However, most of the people who want all the gory games off the shelf say so because they are too darn lazy to think for themselves and realieze that a game called "Grand theft auto" is about stealing cars or that "Sarge's men" is a war game. Plus, they dont want to have to tell their kid that he/she cant have a game that is over their age of maturity. (The lets-be-pals parenting group.)

As for me, if my son asks for a particualar game, I generally find out what its about, what it is like, and if I feel its inappropriate for him, I tell him no, and dont buy it. The same if he comes at me and wants to go do something I feel is inappropriate or dangerous to do. I tell him no. Thats my right as a parent to decide if he can have a war game or not. And I dont need the goverment to outlaw video games to protect my kid from gory games, I can do that myself. Just like I dont need the goverment to outlaw tricycles to protect my tot from ride his trike down the stairs.

allyourmoms
03-09-2003, 01:32 AM
you have my utmost respect.

i only wish there were more intelligent parents outthere. Maybe you should write a book, or get a talk show. :laughing: - seriously though, I share your view exactly. The government should not cater to certain people's stupidity - at the cost of hurting an industry/art form. Why dont they spend the same money on classes to teach parents how to be parents and raise kids correctly.

Myth
03-09-2003, 12:48 PM
err.. i dunno.

allyourmoms, to say that is to only take the view of one side of the arguement. the fact that many games are somewhat gory and unsuitable for younger players. I believe that their should not be such an age limit put on games, but when I saw my 7yo cousin playing GTA VC at my house several weeks back seen as his dad's a cop he took a certain dislike to the ones ingame which was quite worrying :P.

cut to the chase, Video games dont truely have as much an impact on a persons state of mind. However you cannot just brush off acusations that some games are unfit for younger players, and as a gamer myself I cannot help but agree with Nite_Fire_Guard.

Link 101
03-09-2003, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by Yoshiman
And video games are good to play because they expand the mind. Play Zelda or any other adventure game. Most of the puzzles rely on pure logic

I agree, games like Zelda, espeacially Master Quest, will expand your mind. Ever since I have started playing Zelda, I have seen an increase of my puzzle solving skills. I used to stink at soloving puzzles.

allyourmoms
03-10-2003, 04:12 AM
what the hell are you talking about myth?

all i was saying was that most parent are dumb.. and that parents should be the ones to dictate what games they're kids play and not the govt...

like in your case...shouldnt the kids DAD tell him not to play it????

Myth
03-10-2003, 07:15 PM
because their still needs to be limits on what _anyone_ can play.. its not necessarily the government that puts the age restrictions and basic content restrictions on games but an official body.

allyourmoms
03-10-2003, 08:49 PM
nearly every game out there can only be played on a home console. therefore its up to the parents to let those types of games into the house or not.

im just sick of parents blaming the GAMES for anything, when clearly it was there fault for not paying close enough attention to their kids' interests.

its like when those kids burnt down the house after watching bevis and butthead. why were the parents letting them watch it in the first place, if they thought the show was bad. it wasnt until the damage was done that the parents did anything, and even then it was in the wrong direction. They probably still dont pay attention to their kids

Link 101
03-10-2003, 09:11 PM
Yeah, I agree, if the parents don't like the game, why do they let their kids buy it in the first place? If they don't want their kids to play it, then they shouldn't buy it, or allow it in their house. My mom doesn't care, but some games she may not let me have, like that Barney's Hide and Seek Adventure game, talk about inappropiate!

Paradox
03-10-2003, 10:04 PM
heh, the other day i went into my local walmart into the electronics section. i went over to the register to pay for something and there's this lady with a kid who's no more than about 7 or 8. she asks the employee if they're sold out of Vice City, because her kid wants one. wtf?