PDA

View Full Version : Evangelicals and Saddam

Maverik X
03-07-2003, 08:05 PM
Recently, I was driving past a church. On the signboard outside, a message was posted, and it went somewhat as follows:

POWER AGAINST SADDAM
SUPPORT GEORGE BUSH
IN THE WAR

Now, I wondered about this, and then forgot about it for a few days. However, my mother, who had also seen the sign, heard something about it. She told me that it was an Evangelical church. Here's where it gets good.

The Evangelicals believe that the war in the Middle East is destined. They believe that the war in Iraq will touch off the seperation of Palestine and Israel, which will in turn bring about the rapture and the end of the world. Now, being an athiest, I think this is nuts and that these people are a bunch of fruitcakes. Thoughts, please.

fatcatfan
03-07-2003, 08:26 PM
Well... to a certain extent this is true... at least the Biblical prophecies concerning the end times. No one can honestly say for certain that *this* is the war which would be the beginning of the end. Many believe it, but that is no reason to support the war. If this is really the Evangelical point of view (which I rather doubt, it is more likely hearsay or an aberrant few) it *is* a bit silly, since I think it odd to expect we can influence prophetic events. That is, if you really believe it is foretold and *will* occur, why would you think you could cause it to happen before the destined time, *or* prevent it if it is about to occur.

MottZilla
03-07-2003, 08:32 PM
Which church is this? We should go rearrange the message.

Heh, the retarded people out there can amaze you.

Blonde799
03-07-2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Mottzilla
Which church is this? We should go rearrange the message.

You mean like this?

POWER AGAINST FRANCE
SUPPORT GEORGE BUSH&SADDAM
IN THE WAR AGAINST THEM

Hmmm. How about this? I like this one better.:)

FUCK THOSE POLITICAL JACKASSES
ALL GIRLS MEET ME
IN DA HOT TUB

Yeah. Second one is much better.:laughing:

Dart Zaidyer
03-07-2003, 08:52 PM
I don't think this war will touch off the end of the world.
I think the Middle East will have to be unified and then get ruled over by a closet terrorist with access to WMD. This union may or may not be merged with the European Union. (Like it says, it's going to be like Roman Empire II.)

3-Headed Monkey
03-07-2003, 09:49 PM
I'm religious, but in my experience, it's a very bad idea to say that a SPECIFIC EVENT is NO DOUBT part of a prophesy. Sure, there's nothing wrong with saying it's possible, but it's just a bad idea to say it's no doubt true. Take the middle ages. People misused the Bible as reasons as to why the Earth is the center of the universe. (For those of you who don't know, they said that Jesus would not come to a place that wasn't the center of the universe. Looney, huh? But it was taken VERY seriously, and people were subject to the Inquisition if they didn't agree.) When this was disproved, there was a sudden jump in popularity of atheism and deism. Does that tell you something?

Ich
03-07-2003, 10:42 PM
My church is a peace church, and we are violently opposed to a war which I support.

TheGeepster
03-08-2003, 12:38 AM
Biblical prophesy is not detailed enough to say this is the event beforehand. To attempt to do so is to risk and almost ensure your looking very silly in the end, and a loss of credibility. And I do agree with fcf that the Middle East and Israel will someday be the focal point about which a final war will take place.

I have my definite ideas of how things are likely to happen in the very last of last days, but I tend not to share them, because it is only a guess based on what I know. There is a good amount which is not known, and quite a bit that is debated in religious circles, but this quote says it all to me, "I'm a panmillennialist. I believe it'll all pan out in the end."

I will share this though, I don't think this war will be the one final war. I think this one will be over fairly quickly and a new government put in place in Iraq.

VashdeStampedo!
03-08-2003, 01:04 AM
Pish posh, says I. This isn't the end of the world. End of Saddam, sure, maybe the end of Bush's Presidency, based on how many people don't want war.

Peace church that violently opposes. . . hmmm. Could've made better word choices, unless you meant for it that way to prove a point.

And wouldn't it be Roman Empire III? After all, we can't forget Charlemagne. . .

Fiyerstorm
03-08-2003, 01:38 AM
My church is anti-war...

You outta change the curch sign to:

The best position is on your knees.

BTW: Because of these over religious people, I think there's gonna be loads of more suicides for the next few weeks...remember that whole comet thing and the "Don't drink the Kool-Aid" thing?

zfreak2004
03-08-2003, 10:16 PM
Boy, you really hit a nerve... Biblical Prophecy. I'm really not sure what my position is at this point. I'm of the opinion that the middle east is special to God, Jerusalem in particular, but other than that I really don't know what I believe. There are so many viewpoints, and people that I respect hold different ones.... I used to believe in a Rapture prior to a Tribulation period. But now I really don't know what I believe as far as Biblical End times prophecy goes...

Maverik X
03-20-2003, 06:39 PM
I always wondered about a rapture of some kind, especially after I read the series of books, "Left Behind" if anyone has heard about them. If you haven't guessed, they are about people who have been left behind after the rapture, the stuff that goes on, etc. They were written by two people, and at least one of them was a priest or minister of some kind. Just a side note, however, they were rather poorly written, and the only reason I read them was because I was interested in the bible for a period of about nine months. I still am, mildly, but just as a piece of literature, not as a holy or religious work. Anyway, thats off the point.

Well, as an athiest, I know where I stand if theres a rapture. I am unsure if I would convert after a rapture or not.

*Note: The following is a joke. Don't bitch at me for being sacreligious or anything like that*

I would probably go out and do all the crap I've always wanted to do three or four times, then convert.:naughty: :laughing: :lol: :D

*End of joke*

Sorry, I had to get that out of my system.

SupremeG
03-20-2003, 07:56 PM
That's pretty sad, and there isn't a thing called a holy war, doesn't exist.

TheGeepster
03-21-2003, 03:12 AM
I rather like the "Left Behind" books. It's good for provoking thought. I wouldn't suggest basing your religion on the series however. It is only written by two men, and it's purely fictional, even if it is based loosely on Revelation and biblical prophecy.