PDA

View Full Version : slow hidden duality

idontknow
03-06-2003, 08:20 PM
whenever i play Hidden Duality, after about 40 minutes are so, it runs really slowly (about one pixel of movement in like 4 seconds) and i am forced to control-alt--delete my way to exiting the whole program...but...my whole computer runs extremely slowly so i have to shut down & reboot my computer...why is this happening to me? what could i do?

Ielen
03-06-2003, 08:24 PM
What is your system? Windows 98, XP?
Maybe you could try scan disk/defrag to speed up your system.

DarkFlameWolf
03-06-2003, 08:39 PM
its not necessarily the quest itself, although it was made in 183. Playing it in a beta other than 183 or above may not give you desired results. On top of this, maybe its a inherent bug of 183 that slows down computers if played for a long enough time period?

plith
03-06-2003, 08:44 PM
In any case, it has nothing to do with the actual quest you're playing. If ZC is going remarkably slow on you, along with the rest of your computer, than why is this topic here? Moving to ZC Discussion.

MottZilla
03-06-2003, 09:09 PM
Maybe there is a memory leak in the program?

That or perhaps you just don't have a fast enough CPU or enough RAM. I would recommend 64MB for the DOS version, 128MB for Windows version, depending on how much in the way of other programs are running.

idontknow
03-06-2003, 09:30 PM
my system has been overall a bit slower with everything since i first downloaded zc...how do i speed up the system, Ielen; how do i scan/defrag?

MottZilla
03-06-2003, 11:39 PM
You need to not be doing anything when you defrag, but, Start, goto run. Type in Defrag, hit enter. Should be fairly easy. I would advise against doing a partial defrag, make sure the entire drive is defragged. Beware, depending on your drive's speed and size, it may take awhile. Possibly hours, like 6 hours even. Best to do it at night when no one uses the pc, and no one is around to screw it up.

Ielen
03-07-2003, 10:09 PM
To do a complete scandisk/defrag, just go to Start -> Program -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Maintenance Wizard. From there, you can adjust your settings for scandisk & defragment. Then wait patiently for close to 6 hours to finish the entire task.

It's often better to perform scandisk/defrag in safe mode, so you won't have any internet or other interferences along the way.T

I would also recommend you obtain 512 MB ram memory to ensure optimum game performance. Do you have at least Directx 8.1 (if I can recall) which improves alot of game performance?